Upset

So I don't want to seem stupid or annoying... but I am so depressed.  There has been nothing but chaos in my life for months (it has to deal with family problems, man problems, etc.).  I have terrible anxiety over everything, and that makes it very hard for me to do anything outside of the house.  I just went to the doctor too for the problem, but so far, nothing has helped me.  I have a medical problem that is very debilitating and embarrassing, especially when I go to the college and try to get through my classes.  I don't know how I will be able to get a job with this problem I have. 

As usual, I'm very upset over my art.  Someone told me that I have a long way to go to become a "good" artist.  I don't know what that means.  Why can't people tell me what I need to do to improve?  I have stopped taking any art classes because I was getting burnt out.  My teachers would praise everyone around me, and then they would just nod and walk off in response to my work.  They never told me if there was anything wrong or what I could do to improve.  It just made me feel really crappy about myself and my work. 

So, I don't know what to do to make myself feel any better.  It's so frustrating. 

Sorry for this long rant. :(
Comments11
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You need a psychologist not the forums
Jesus! Your art fucking stinks! You should just go kill yourself you over-sensitive fucking cunt!
I don't understand. Your art is amazing!
Thank you so much!
Thank you everyone.  Your comments made me feel much better.  I'll have to just keep trying everyday.  Eventually, it will get better.  :)
Don't get depressed over art, it's useless. No one can really tell you what you have to do to get good at art, you have to be the judge yourself, people can tell you what is wrong with a certain piece, but the problem will always be inside your head. Overthinking art was big part of my own personal art depressions, i always wanted to do "perfect" or "realistic" or "something people would go "wow!"". It helped me a lot to read some literature on art, for starters Loomis's Fun With Pencil. It did not turn me to a great artist who has amazing skills, and i am pretty sure it had no effect in my skills anyways, but it helped me to just loosen up a bit and say pretty much say fuck it, lets do it like this. My art might be shittier than it was, but at least i enjoy it more now :).
Sorry for the rambling response
Eh, screw them. Your main priority when creating art should be doing what you like. Then, if other people happen to like what you like, it's just gravy.
"Why can't people tell me what I need to do to improve?"

Because making art is a complex skill, and people may be able to see that there is something wrong but not tell you exactly what the problem is or how to fix it.

Art is a hard thing to debug because there are so many ways to get it right, and yet so many more ways to get it wrong.  Like... imagine that you are assembling a jigsaw puzzle and you've put some pieces together.  Some of them look like they might belong to other puzzles, but it's hard to tell.  Theoretically, you could take any piece you've got and build up a whole puzzle around it if you found all the other pieces of that puzzle.  But it's not at all easy for someone to tell you which pieces belong together and which ones you should throw away.  You're not going to get someone saying "okay, first you put down this piece and then this other piece and then this third piece" because there is no one specific way to assemble a puzzle, nor is there any specific puzzle that you have to be assembling!  At best you will get one person coming in saying "this piece doesn't belong there, you should look for one that looks like X" or some general advice like "find the corners first".  Otherwise it's your puzzle to figure out.  You have to do it.

To get better at art you have to like solving problems.  If you're the sort of person who gets mad at the stupid puzzles for being all mixed up but comes back again and again and then does a little dance whenever two pieces seem to fit, you'll do fine.  If you need someone to tell you what to do, the whole process is going to suck.
I know life could be frustrating an depressing, but.think of it, if you kept doing the old things, hide in depressed state , most likely you"ll end up just getting worse, try to fix your problem by pieces, and set some little goals for yourself so that you feel productive and proud of youself, always remember everyone is unique in their own way, you have something on yourself that noone else don't, have faith.:)
looking at your art right now
will update this in about 5 - 10 minutes

hug

and "good" how rude of a person must that have been, I had an experience like it when I was in Junior high though and that was my teacher told me that I had to completely redo something. something that I had never done before and was my first time trying. that ruined art for me and I have yet recovered. so getting to my point do not let others comments get you down....

art: One piece of art that you made that I liked was the 2D perspective of a house.