Seeking advice to help care for a diabetic cat

My senior cat has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and I am a bit overwhelmed. I have been advised to give her insulin twice daily, but I am really worried about her diet and what I should or shouldn't give her. The vet gave me high protein dry food, but everywhere I turn people are recommending wet food. I'm at war with myself. She loves Friskies and Blue Wilderness. The last thing I want to do is cut those out of her diet, especially if they could be beneficial for her. However, the vet I went to said to give her only a quarter of a can a day as a "treat." :( I'm at a loss. I don't want to have any more major health scares with her. She means the world to me.

I know I can turn to the internet for information, but there is so much to process. Too much, almost. I'm looking for clear-cut, straight-to-the-point answers.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with feline diabetes? What's worked for you? What do you suggest? I wasn't even told what kind of feeding schedule to put her on, or even how much to give her. Is it appropriate to have a schedule?
Comments48
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
yes ik about this kind of stuff feed it 2 times a day and in-between meals give her cat treats wet food is ok and dry food is ok ik it's hard to do so epeshally if ur cat begs for food like mine and eats almost all the god dame time also try to promote a little exersize in her life see if she will chase a toy around the house......what's ur cat's name? 
My vet suggests we feed our over weight kitty wet food (but she won't eat it, weird kitty...).
Dont use the internet for peoples advice. Curiousity killed the cat. Literally.
I heard that giving your cat organic raw coconut oil will help. You might want to check into it first. Hope your cat starts feeling better! 
Overdose it on insulin and it's organs will collapse! The vet will have to put it down! Problem solved!
You be quiet, this is the 3rd time I've seen you being rude on here. I don't know if you're just trying to be funny, but either way, it's not helping the people who come here for HELP, geez..
My cat also has the same problems, he is 7 and recently diagnosed with diabetes, I did some research and its not just canned food you nee to switch him to it is a raw diet and you can reverse the diabetes, these are the two kinds I use Healthy pet sold in pet stores some grocery stores sold in a cooler. and I just recently ordered a powder mix that you mix with raw meat he seems to enjoy that more. it is TCFeline sold online at thetotalcat.com. took my cat about 12-24 hours before I could get him to eat the raw food. you can mix a little of his old food into it. for about a week and slowly decrease how much of the old stuff you add, he or she should adjust. Good Luck
I have been thinking of introducing more meat into her diet. I read that it was quite beneficial. But thank you very much for your input. I will certainly look into those products.
I have read up about it, a lot of sources suggest wet food- but most simply suggest food with more protein and less carbohydrates.
I would get a second opinion from a different vet. It may be pricey, but if you can afford it, it will be well worth it to have peace of mind about her condition. If you do go to a second vet, be sure to write down all the questions and concerns you have beforehand so you can ask them (especially about the type of diabetes she has, type 1 or 2).

Here are some websites that talk about diet:
www.petsadviser.com/vet/owning…

"...Most experts recommend a diet with about 7 percent carb content. Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken or Turkey is a good choice for a diabetic. Friskies and 9 Lives have some options too. Evo95 Duck or Venison is great protein, low in carbs. Some of these “regular” cat foods are probably better than the prescription diets, in my opinion...."
www.vcahospitals.com/main/cani…
"...Diet–determining the best type of food for your cat. Cats, as carnivores, often have significant improvement in their blood sugar levels when placed on a high protein, low carbohydrate food. This is also the perfect time to address weight loss if your cat is overweight or obese..."

I am so sorry to hear that about your dear kitty, all pet lovers can empathize with your pain :( Remember, depending on if she has type 2 (what 80-95% of diabetic cats have according to wikipedia) it is possible that it could go into remission(no more insulin needed) or even be reversed! Be positive, have good thoughts, and send her good energy and give her lots of love. This may sound like odd advice, but i guarantee it will have amazing affects on you and your cat <3 The less stressed you are- the less stressed she will be, which will help her heal faster.
Be strong dear! Best of luck that your darling cat heals. I wish you both the best <3
Thank you so much. :hug: I've heard that it can be reversed (she does have type 2). I just don't want to get my hopes up. But that won't stop me from giving her as much help as I can. And she's never short on love. I'm hoping to get a second opinion very soon regarding her food. Time is just not on my side. She has been showing improvement already though with the beginning of her treatment, and for that I'm glad.
She is a lucky cat to have such a loving owner~ I am so happy to hear she is doing better <3 I hope it is reversed. I wish her the best!
I don't know anything personally but I do know someone who might be able to help she has raised alot of cats (she currently has around 20) I will give you her Facebook just tell her SereneAutumn referred you :) www.facebook.com/Roni.Teresa.W…
Sorry to hear about your kitty :(
I don't have any experience with feline diabetes, but I have a senior cat who has asthma and requires an inhaler, so I know what it's like to feel confused and overwhelmed. As for the food, I have to say that I completely disagree with your vet. A cat should eat mostly wet, with dry a much lesser part of their diet. My cats eat about 75% wet food. Think about what a cat eats in the wild. It would be mostly little creatures like bugs, mice lizards, birds, etc. They would not be eating kibble/dry food. Cats don't drink much water, so they count on their food source to give them much of their needed hydration. This is why if a cat is denied a wet food diet, they may not age as well and they may become ill with problems that could have been prevented. I know the dry food/ wet food is a big debate for cat owners, but if you really think about how a cat would eat naturally, you will come to understand that a dry food diet is NOT ideal. I would talk to your vet again, or I would find another one.
I agree wet food may be best in general for cats health- though i am unsure about a diabetic cat as it has different ingredients and a different amount of calories-both of which can have a major affect for diabetics of any kind. Though i believe real cooked meat and fish is the ultimate best (if it can be afforded). But oddly i had a cat that lived to be nearly 20 and he ate dry food his entire life, and never in his life had shots or went to the vet. I also have a little blind cat, Kitsune, who drinks water as if it is the essence of life xD 
I also recommend that you buy the highest quality brand of food you can afford for your kitty. Not Friskies, as others have suggested. I would choose a Limited Ingredient/ grain free brand if you are able. I love this brand, as do my kitties: www.naturesvariety.com/
dry food is better for any animal because u have more higher risk for dental issues and usually thats about $250 for a dental and on age because some clinics require bloodwork at a certain age.  it should be fed the same amount as stated on the bag to keep the cats weight up but not let it get too fat or skinny. they do have test strips where u can check the urine but it has to be morning pee. but yes it is best to use the food the vet offers if u do want the best. but if u can not afford it because i know it is expensive get the type of nutritional facts that u need to help with it.
This is just not true. See my comment above. Also, the food you get from the vet is not of the best quality whatsoever. Sad but true. The best quality food will be found only in specialty pet stores. Just ask a clerk to point you towards the 4 and 5 star cat foods. You don't want anything under that.
every has there own view.
Yes, that is true. I just like to base mine on facts and research, and I care a great deal about the welfare of pets and animals in general. Not trying to be a smart-ass...just trying to get the correct information out there so that people can make their own educated decisions.