Drawing confidence/ anxiety

I don't really know how to word this, because I've never addressed this much until a couple of hours ago. But I'll try to explain my problem...

I seem to have an extreme fear of being judged. like, an EXTREME fear. I think it might be part of my social anxiety, but I'm not sure...I can't show people any of my work. I can't show anyone anything I made either. So when it comes to drawing, I have a great deal of trouble showing people that as well. I never noticed this until earlier, but it would explain why I have NO drawings on my page right now.
I get this nervous feeling, and my chest gets a little tight whenever I post a deviation. I'm just so terrified of a comment that might hurt my feelings or something. Don't get me wrong, I can take criticism! If it's helpful, and isn't ALL negative. Then it's ok. But I have received some very harsh comments in the past...No one has ever told me that they liked my drawings. All they ever do is give me tips on how to improve. There's NEVER a compliment. I like tips, they're helpful. But if I don't know if I'm considered a "Good drawer" then I get confused. I have no idea if I'm good or not. Personally, I think I'm awful at it, but others might think otherwise.

I keep trying to post a drawing, but my anxiety holds me back before I can press "Submit". Even if I do post it, I usually delete it hours later.

So I ask you artist out there, did you ever go through this? Did you get over it?
If so, how did you overcome it? I really need some help, or else I'll never post anything thing here. I really want to. I just can't bring myself to...Please help me...:(

Thank you in advance...<3
Comments87
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I just did it and got over it because there will always be someone better but you can only do your work and also- ignore stupid fucks.
Yeah. I'm ok with people being better than me. I've accepted that I can't be better than everyone.

It's hard to ignore the haters. I'll never get their words out of my head. Guess I just overthink things that aren't really a big deal.

I really like your drawings by the way.
I'd guess that your parents would love it no matter what, so show it to them!

Also, the way you act influences how other people think. If you come up to someone, saying that you drew 'something, and it's not my best, there are a lot of problems so don't really think it's the final finished...' They'll look at the art thinking it looks like something awful, before they see it. Rather, try saying, "Hey, check out what I drew!" You won't be bragging, but they'll see your work in a totally new light! And post stuff to DevArt, I've never seen people give negative comments unless you use the 'ask for critique' feature, or specifically ask for criticism.

I'd sure like to see some of your work! I never give negative criticism.
Yeah, my parents seem to like them. But they're supposed to like them, they're my supportive parents. :p

Yes, you're right, I suppose I could start talking about my art in a positive way. I bet it would have a better impact on people.

I might post tonight.
Yeah I noticed an immediate change when I started talking about my art differently. I also think it helps me draw better when I think better about it.
You're right. Positive thinking leads to positive results.
Here be the facts. Not everyone is going to like your art and that has nothing to do with skill but a preference thing. I love traditional gritty art VS digital perfecto stuff. As personal as your art is to YOU. Absolutely NO ONE is out to attack you. Learn to disconnect and like what you do. Artists can be brutal with themselves. The stuff i end up doing that i hate, people may love and the stuff i love, people may hate. HOWEVER, that's okay. I post it all!

Kids can be brutal because like all children, they all got shit to say but you will never EVER find a well adapt mature adult slam someone's art. Children do that. I'm 31 and with that comes a certain understanding of how people work. Please remember that last part. Who the hell knows why people say the shit they do.
Yeah, you're right. I try not to care what others think, but I can't help but care. On the outside I may not show that I care about opinions, but on the inside I'm feeling sad about it.

I think I'll just suck it up and post something already. I keep trying to do it, but nothing feels good enough. I don't know why. I really shouldn't care, but I just get huge amounts of anxiety whenever I even think about posting. I'm just gonna do it regardless of how I feel. Because I really love to draw, I just hate the way it looks when I do. I'm going to have to adopt an " I don't care about what anyone says" attitude. But sometimes what other people say helps me to improve. So I really can't win. :/
o rlly cool then u have very much experince indeed
Hey Miss-Cutie-Crabcakes I read ur post I am wanting to help u out I believe the fewer the tips the better u r and the more tips the chance is ur still an amateur but both is great because if u get less tips ur amazing but if u get less tips u have the experience in getting better although ppl say don't compare ur self to other artist I still do cause I need to know what I need to work on
Yes, I do the same thing. I have to compare so that I know what to work on. I don't copy art though.
Yes, I wanted to be as technically proficient an artist as Frank Hampson. Thankfully I've since realised I am not Frank Hampson I'm Sam Madeley and there will always be those who give harsh criticisms to my artwork but I don't produce my work for them I do it for myself and when others say they like it I'm honoured by their opinion.

There will always be the 'Clan McWilneae' who want to poo-poo your work and in most cases it will be because they are envious of your ability and drive to be creative.

Just enjoy being creative as there will always be someone who appreciates your work when you submit it.
Wow, your art is amazing. D:

There seems to be a pattern of responses here...A lot of people are saying that I shouldn't care what others think because I'm drawing for myself. Not them. Thinking about the past, I have tried to draw for people. I always felt that if I did that, I would be happy. I guess I thought that if others were happy, I was happy. But that's not true. If I can't draw what I want and always have to rely on the opinion of others....I'll never be happy. I never thought about this until now. I really do love to draw, but I seem to have esteem issues. I don't know where these issues came from...
I draw that which gives me joy as well as that which others have requested. In most creative fields there is a 'truism' that a person works on 'A' and 'B' projects. one is those that are requested and the other that which satisfies the inner creative drive. The choice is yours as to which is you prioritise.

Bear in mind that spending your life trying to make others happy does come at the cost of taking time to entertain your own happiness.

The past forms the prelude to the person you are today and only you are responsible for the steps you take to the future you are to take, one step at a time.
Excellent advice. I need to start drawing for myself...
Be confident, you are going to get over it. You have to believe in your strengh! 

No one is perfect at all, and ever the person you admire the most, had have the worst critiques in a point of his life. But that person choose to ignore and keep up the good work. And become what he/she became.

I sometimes feel sad or angry, then I think... Well, one of the best revenges would be practice and become the best one! And all those people that said bad things about me would close their mouths. Think it positive and improve.

I'm not an english native, but I hope you understand. And I hope you post something! I'll be waiting for you!

And, well, I hope you know this guy. When I think of drawing and publish I found a lot of reasons in this phrase (I hope you like it)
zenpencils.com/comic/119-john-…

There is always someone waiting for your gifts!

Kissies!Hug 
I love that comic you went me. It was inspiring!
I hope it will help you!
It did. <3

You've been a huge help.
it might take a while to receive comments on your deviations, so maybe try to upload more than one and wait, favs and comments will come.

I had this account for years before I actually uploaded something, I didn't want to show my works to "the world" but one day I said fuck it, so I scanned/took photographs and uploaded, and I felt good even if I don't have many watchers, favs, comments....

<3
I actually don't care about comments or faves! If people comment, it's cool, but if they don't, it's alright. I'm more concerned about actually posting...

I don't really mind not getting popular, I just want to be able to post without feeling so sick about it. :(

It does feel good to post though. ^_^
I'm not good at giving advice, but I know you'll be able to get past this especially since you're asking how you could achieve this. If you stay confident in your artwork and ambitious to getting better nothing can stop you. Some people are cruel but they're  dumbasses. To me it seems there's more friendly people than these "trolls" and once you begin to believe that it can help you overcome this obstacle as well. :hug: 
I like your advice! Some of them are trolls, and some of them are just mean artist...I hate good artist that look down on amateurs. I never said I was a good artist, I never asked you to bash my drawings. If you're so good, then why don't you teach others and spread your knowledge? Instead of teasing my art. I'm starting to think those people were art theifs going around trolling. But I guess I'll never know.

I'll try to stay confident. But I feel as if I'll always be nervous when posting. I know practicing won't hurt either. It can only get better with practice. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks for taking the time to give some helpful advice.