Fellow artists with depression - how do you stay inspired?

Hi all,

I'm an artist who lost faith and interest in my art back in high school, when my depression came to a peak.

I'm just trying to get back into it now, after many years of treatment. I know I won't get any better unless I keep at it, and I'm afraid that this short burst of inspiration will be short lived.

How do you stay on the ball?

Thanks and much love.
Comments61
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I actually took up drawing as a full on hobby when I started suffering with depression. It was a good outlet for me and it took my mind off the stress of my worries.

The best thing for me if I'm running dry is simply looking at art. I come onto DA mostly for inspiration. I could trawl for hours and build a visual library. I don't know if this sounds like a cop out answer but it's true. There are artists I really look up to so I try and take aspects from them that I really enjoy.

Something else that is useful is setting yourself little targets and challenges. If you're not feeling inspired, do some exercises that will make you inspired whilst making you feel on top of your game.

I don't know if you know of Sycra? Check him out on YouTube (he's on DA too). Really good artist and talks a lot of sense about art and life and mental health. He's a cool dude.
Is you're depression make you feel like shit? embrace the feeling and create based on it->Faced with Death by Trafal-the-Law When you feel better do other stuff.
Back before I've graduated from Art College, I also lose faith and hope. But all that changed within time.

If you're an artist, just keep the passion. Be inspired by something beautiful and/or awesome. Hang in there. I cope with things in reality by escaping into my own fantasy (drawing something that makes me happy) when I have a free time (mostly at night). And eventually, I'm doing great in reality.
It`s been... two years of depression? Yeah, two, but it`s getting better now and I`m more inspired than ever.
I like reading books and watching movies and looking at other people`s art (not to copy, be assured), and a lot of times they inspire me to try out something new or design a new character. You can draw whatever`s going on inside your head, or what`s going on around you.
I suffer very severe depression (not exaggerating: I was suicidal in 2010). Throughout my depression I've found that the best way to keep motivated is to surround myself with people who create on a regular basis, and to keep on listening to music (find a new band/musician once a month if you can). Power through it - I know you can. Once you get motivated, keep on creating! It's a hobby that feeds itself.
my help is going to sound the most useless but its very effective

... just start.
you have no idea of what to do: make a circle and see where it goes, if it stops there make another circle and tada... eyes
you do not want to: do it, you DO want to be creative so that should be good enough of a reason
you will do it later: no, now

depression can also help you make incredibly sad works
I allways remind myself thamt art blocks is just the brains way of letting you know that you need to rest the muscles that you use in your hand to draw with, go do something els or read up on art related things and I am usually back in the flow the next day. I gusse it all depends on what you think an art block is to you. No two art blocks are the same because the solution to unblock an art block is different for each and everyone of us.
depression- I channeled my anxiety and depression into a loathing. I began to see it as simple- the world would have me dead, so I'm not going to give it the satisfaction. I decided out of pure spite and hatred that I would make everyone who doubted me wish they'd never spoken so ill of me, and I decided to make art so long as at least it amused 1 person now and then- I decided that I was alive, no matter how dead I felt I would not succumb. for me, my depression is the source of my art. feelings of loneliness, abandonment, betrayal, anger, and hopelessness- I'll bleed my paint and cry my ink and write the book that I never believed I could, because no matter the depression and loss of faith in myself, I refuse to give the world what I feel it wants of me. I hope you find a way to channel your sorrows into writing as well. 
Alright first off, let's throw that notion of inspiration right out the window. Chances are that if you only drew out of inspiration then that means you'd be drawing very little, which I think is not what you're after.

Okay so as I understand it you seem to be doing well with your depression right now. That's a good thing and I can totally relate with you on this.

Art, like every other profession or thing you love, will eventually burn you out. So to speak, it feels like you fall out of love with it. This could happen when you follow a course, having a relationship with someone, anything really. Now here's the thing, everything's gotta go full circle in life. To every good side there's something that we'd like to perceive as the ''bad'' side. So when we go back to your question on how to stay on the ball, we need to realize that we have to look past it. We need to realize that despite the hard times, there will always be good times and that little spark you now call inspiration or motivation will come back. I think a couple that has been married for 60+ years would tell you all about that!

It's a mental thing, there is not a real concrete solution as for sticking with art. If art truly is what you want to do, then you will face hardships, tough times, roadblocks, whatever you'd like to call it. But simply stick with it. Realize that everything has to come full circle. Every Ying has a Yang, every day a night, every sun a moon. To become good at anything you have to sink your teeth in it and even more so if you strive to improve.

Now, friends are really good for it and I'm mainly talking about your artistic friends. If you don't have people that you can talk to about art (and this is my personal problem actually) then that means keeping yourself on the ball and put in the work is a lot harder as the only one who can make you work is yourself.

Look past all the hardships, don't fear anything and just do it!
Good question! I think trying new things, and reaching out for new knowledge about light and colors is a really good step, especially so if you have a teacher to help you on the way!
I can relate. I went through a time where I couldn't draw at all because of my symptoms. In fact, I think we're in the same boat. I'm just getting back into drawing and painting again now.

For me, it works to make sure I focus on other interests and experiences as well. While they can help with inspiration, I noticed I really need structure to really get to work and improve. That's why I'm enrolled in art classes at the local university, with the intention to major in it. It helps me build my skills, which in turn inspires me to make more art.

I also have the goal of creating a portfolio (whether I transfer to an art school or not) since my depression prevented me from completing my AP Art portfolio way back in high school. While my latest bout of non-drawing was mainly due to a different mental illness, I think creating goals can really help keep you moving. Just don't set the bar too high, or else you'll become paralyzed.
I think of stories why'll I'm falling asleep, that's when your brain is at its most insane, creative state, after I think about something (no matter how insane I think it is) I write it in detail on a sheet of paper, put it by my bed and read it the next day to see if its any good, this will keep you being creative, but to get started, go outside, to malls, or anywhere with people or pretty objects, it'll help you with your creative side.

don't be afraid to be crazy, or quirky, that's just how art is.
"I won't get any better unless I keep at it"

Just enjoy the expression art allows you as hobby or profession, be influenced by that which engages you irrespective of style or external opinion.

"How do you stay on the ball?"

I always do the best I can and therefore enjoy the finished results irrespective of whether one person or one-million respond to the same.
well I tend to feel the worst at home, but when I get a little inspiration, I try and stay out of the house as much as possible until I can at least sketch down or write my idea.

most of the time, I just draw what I'm feeling at the time, and if it looks like it's going to be a good piece, I'll finish it.

The main thing for me is to keep a sketchbook and draw everyday. Nothing refined, just quick drawings of whatever comes to mind. I make it a point to do three pages everyday, and it keeps me going.

also I find watching videos by Will Terrell very inspiring. 
I received no help (medically help of course)
I just hit rock bottom, talk to myself wth is wrong & how to get out of it. Started up by watching stuff like Simpsons or South Park in a marathon.

Still can't make my inspiration lasts longer, really. But I try to keep my pencil & paper close, so I can start writing or drawing things when it's there. Since I was quite a poet back in high school & now I'm too busy to just write them while at work, I just cite them to myself when that feeling comes. With luck, I'll just remember what I did & typed  or write it down.
As what they say, art is a way of expressing yourself. I don't know why but I'm more creative, inspired and motivated to do something when I'm depressed. It's like depression/anxiety itself is what fuels me to do something that's why most of my works are somewhat related to depression/anxiety. Though for some days its really hard to start working on something cause depression is really consuming...plus I am also suffering form Health Anxiety.
But of course this is not always the case, sometimes as what I said when my HA attacks its hard to start grabbing the pen or whatever to start working on something in the first place but there's one thing I am sure about, staying at home doing nothing makes my depression worst. SO what I do sometimes, is I go outside in the sun, take a walk for 10-15 mins...changes my mood completely. For some reason going outside on a sunny day makes me feel happy, makes me think of happy and positive thoughts. Maybe spend sometime with your friends or if you play a sport then why not, do anything FUN that can keep you occupied. :D 
I wouldn't know. Depression and booze got the better of me. I haven't drawn for ages and don't really care much for it. Try learning an instrument. Find inspiration in different forms. Stay away from drugs and booze.
I like to sit outside with my mum because company makes me happy, so I sit outside with her on my porch with my kitty, and I just get into a good and happy mood, sometimes I will have a nice glass of lemonade with my mum, and I just sketch away. But I have to make a schedule of my day because that's the only way that I get things done, and sometimes I just get lost in drawing. So sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for but I just think if I put myself in an environment where art is made naturally it just makes me happy!
Also most of my art has come from my depression, but it's not healthy for me because I draw "morbid" things (alot of people never understand my art) and so it causes me to go into more depression, so I just surround myself with things that I love (family, cats, nature) I know that this may sound kinda typical or too happy or something like that, but I just want everyone to be happy because it makes me happy when you are happy <3
You don't have to be inspired.
You just get to work.
Holidays
-I love the smell of fall, the Christmas decorations and the fun in Halloween! Even if the holidays weren't as best when I was a kid, it's still something to look forward too. :heart:
My future goal
-Going to college and study art! :la:
Future spouse
-I could end up married with a beautiful lady/man. Who would pass that up?
Drawing
-It's fun.
The trick is for me at least is to draw everyday, even if you don't finish it even if its just a quick sketch while your sitting at the train station.

And when the depression has got bad.. I have literally just sat there and thrown paint at a canvas. To visually release depression and stress helps.

I found myself within a few weeks of focusing on the "bigger projects* if you know what I mean?
googling every question in my head and look for someone who is welling to listen to me xD 
bwhahah sounds like me lol:happybounce: