Going into my first year of college/Super Nervous

Any tips you can give me?
I'm probably going to be alone now without anymore friends since they left after high school graduation..And I find it hard to make friends without making things awkward. I'm so nervous, like I haven't been sleeping lately because the thought of it has been eating me alive.
Comments190
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I attend a community college but it is not necessarily easy. What has helped me is to use a planner, don't take more than three or four classes at a time, and my personal homework method is to write down two reasonable homework assignments with the to-do check mark box next to them, so as not to confuse the assignments due with the work that I need to do. I started feeling very overwhelmed because I had book reports and many papers due and couldn't remember when to do what, so I would write down "read ten pages of such and such book" or "do six math problems" and by the end of the week the whole chapters are done. This is what helped me, anyway.

Be on time, don't be absent, use a separate folder for each class, get your scantrons ahead of time, always do extra credit and exam reviews, and don't wait until the last minute to start a report or major project. What helped me is to have one folder for each class rather than a big binder or notebooks. I find paper to be more useful than notebooks, since at times I need to rewrite my notes. Also, if the teacher is lecturing too fast, just write bullet points of what they are saying and do your own research to fill it in later.

Make friends! Join a club! I joined one and I have new friends now, and we even went on a field trip last semester which is the funnest and happiest thing I have done since a field trip in 12th grade.
You sound like an organized person :D
i should start doing that lol i just toss everything in one folder... (high school habits) lol
yeah school is overwhelming for me too, but I rely on my fellow classmates to remind me of things i missed or such.
omg i need to get scantrons too lol you reminded me xD
College is nowhere near as "clicky" as high school.  There is a lot less drama.  As for not sleeping well, welcome to the club, I regularly deal with insomnia, and it probably won't hurt to get used to sleep deprivation now anyway. 
I see...yes there are no cliches or people getting bullied. Its a place where people are very serious and professional :]
i do miss high school drama lol ahh....good times~
I don't miss the drama.  I've never seen a fight at college either, as for serious and professional, yes and no where I go, there are always some people that take life way to seriously but most people are pretty laid back where I guy. 
You're not the only one. Far from it, actually. Almost everyone is a bit anxious about making new friends. Just try to relax a lil
Just make friends with your roommate cause you have to live with them
I live alone :) with my kittys
Make friends with your cats then, other wise they will shit on you when you're asleep... yes they really will believe me ;)
they always shit in the litter box, i always have to scoop outOh Noes! 
you should be alright then ;)
What if they're so weird that it's impossible to strike up a meaningful conversation that goes further than Q/A sentences?
Then hopefully you have another roommate or another friend you can hang out with.  Then you can pull pranks and stuff on your weird roomie lol XD na don't do that... no wait do it an send me the video ;)
Are you going to live in a dorm? That ended up being a key strategy in how I made friends. I picked a room with three other people in it, just so that I would increase my odds of making friends with at least one of them. ;p I'm super shy and afraid of people, but it actually worked out really well! It helps if you put yourself in places where you are forced to interact with people, like living in dorms, or joining clubs, or whatever. Go to the dumb school/dorm RA events so you can get to know people.

It helps to remind yourself that most of the people there will be in the exact same boat as you and likewise will be looking for new friends.

College was the first time I'd ever been so alone! Had to leave all my friends, family, the boyfriend, and pets behind. But even an awkward duck like myself managed to make some new friends. It turned out be really awesome! College is definitely one of the best times I've ever had in my life. You will do just fine, I'm sure. :hug:
lol I've been managing now. This is an old post but I'll still gladly listen. I live in my own complex almost near the school so I'm not in any doors :/
I made some new friends! I'm really happy, I'd thought I'd be a loner forever xD
Oops, it was on the front page so I thought it was new. Sorry about that.
I'm glad you're doing well! :D
aha thank you crispy lettuce Meow-thank You 
I went/am going to a different college than the majority of my friends and my advice is to talk to as many people as you can the first day. Take any opportunity to meet people. At this point, I pretty much know everyone who's in the same program as me.

Also, work, work work. Or you'll quickly fall behind.
#work #work yes I know, college is no play, it's serious studies haha not like high school anymore. I've made some friends though :) (Smile) 
Comment hidden
Yes, that is true
Read your book- take notes on everything- learn how to write an essay- do homework the minute it's assigned, you teach yourself- your teacher is paid by you, if they are shit do not finish the class, drop during the drop week or get permission to leave with some excuse, it's better than an F or incomplete or switch, teachers will seriously make or break you, no matter how much of a dick they are they are your BEST FRIEND,smooze with them, make them love you, they will provide career oppurtunities and cool stuff like newspaper interviews and internships Your other best friend is CHEGG, Don't take out loans. If you can't afford it can wait, work while going to school part time a few hours here and there even if you're all set because you will want to buy lots of nice things that you can't afford and you will eat your weight in food and coffee , push through homework as it's assigned until it's done no matter what. You will not make friends in college. You can try but everyone's a fucking stuck up DIIICK. Your best bet is joining clubs. join lots of clubs. you get good grade you do good club you get degree.
Some college you're going to if everyone's a dick...:lol:
if you don't see any dicks chances are you are the dick.