Any army spouses out there in the art community?

My husband is in the army and I am just looking for people to talk to who share a love of art and understands how the military lifestyle can be.  I have made like maybe 2-3 friends in the past two years who are military spouses, but none like art and all have children and are much older than me so its kind of lonely.  
If you are a military spouse, How long have you been married to your soldier?  How long have they been in?  Do you have trouble cooping with their jobs?
My husband is an EOD tech and he has been in for 2 years (three more years to go unless he decides to reenlist).  I love him to death, but sometimes I just hate his job...
Comments58
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hiya. :)

I've been married to my soldier for only a couple months, since June. He was in the military (Army Cav. Scout specifically) before I married him. He's been in the Army for 2 years, and I personally despite it for many reasons, all reasonable too. He personally didn't even want to be a scout, he wanted to go to flight school and be a pilot, but it didn't work out that way. I love art, don't have kids, and I'm only in my 20s. 
Hey there! :)

Congratulations on getting married a few months ago! :)
A lot of the times, the job soldiers want doesn't end up being the one they get =/  Its unfortunate, but there's really not much they can do :(
Why don't you like it?  I personally hate the fact that they can take him at any time no matter what time or day it is.  It puts a damper on our alone time :p
Where are you guys stationed?
Thanks. :)

Unfortunately, it is so. Although, once he gets out he's going to flight school one way or another, he really wants to.

The reason why I dislike his profession so much is because, well, I just hate the idea that he can be taken away from me and be sent off to some third-world country and be killed for some unjust cause. Also, he's the kind of man that doesn't mind being told what to do, he's been following orders and authority figures throughout his entire life. I, on the other hand, have a problem with that kind of mindset. I prefer to work for myself, and not for someone else's, especially not for the military. Sure, there are certain perks that come with the job that are very useful, but in all honestly I can do without them just fine. 

We're stationed at Fort Drum, NY. 
Sorry for the extremely late reply ^^;

I have a similar point of view as well.  My husband isn't truly a take orders type of guy, but he does what he's told.  I loathe the fact that they can be taken away for whatever the hell the gov't wants.  Its stupid and I feel like they fight over the stupidest crap lol.  I could never join the military because I just would hate listening to bullshit all day.
I am grateful that they pay for our apartment and food and such, but there's a lot that families have to sacrifice for that.

We're also stationed at fort drum!  I am currently living in Massachusetts because I found a school I like there and got my old job back that pays better, but we should totally meet up sometime!  I go up there every other month to see my husband =D
I hear you. :)

And that's great! What are the odds? We will definitely meet, just send me a message whenever you're up here again. I live just outside the fort in a small community. :D
We have an apartment in watertown.  I plan on being in town again the weekend before Halloween I think.  :)  It would be nice to meet a friend up there! :D
Cool, yeah, that would be nice. And it's only a 20 minute drive, more or less, depending on traffic. :)
View all replies
Not a spouse, but after I finish this next year at university, I'll be sending off to the Navy! Having done a lot of research into the matter, I gotta say, it takes a lot of patience for spouses, much kudos to you guys. Can only imagine what it be like for my lady friend when I'm constantly traveling and relocating, if I do that at least. :/
I wish you luck in university and the navy!  
Definitely takes a lot of patience, but its all worth it :)  Thank you.
I don't know if the navy is different compared to the army when it comes to pcsing and such, but it is stressful when you can't go with your soldier.  
Thank you very much, and I hope that everything goes well for you guys. Each branch is totally different in regards to traveling on assignment, so I
am not aware of each difference between them all.
You're Welcome and Thank you! :)
haha I'm not aware of the differences either.  When we were in Florida, we were stationed at Eglin Airforce base where the majority of the soldiers were Army and the EOD school that my husband attended was run by the navy...makes no sense to me xD
Joint force bases, yes, or something like that. They had one of those in Germany at one point.
yes xD  its nuts how complicated things can get
I'm no spouse, but I am military (Air Force though, not Army). It is nice to run into others on here with military affiliation though. I must say though, your husband is a brave man for going EOD. I can see why you hate his job sometimes (then again, we all do at points as well).

And you make an interesting point; I've never really noticed that just about all spouses I know all have kids.
Thank you for your service!  
Same here.  I didn't think there would be any one on here to comment back on this post.  
It took him awhile to get through his AIT, but he really wanted to do it.  He is indeed brave for choosing to deal with bombs all day lol 

I got married at 19 and people thought we were getting married because I was pregnant, which I wasn't.  I actually wonder how many spouses actually got married just for that reason.  Idk..to me having a kid while you aren't at a permanent duty station is nuts 0_0
Oh, so he actually chose to be EOD and wasn't just thrown into the field?

It wouldn't surprise me if people do that all the time. I hear about it happening a lot, but it can't be healthy for raising a family.
Yes.  The story he told me was that he went to the recruiter's office and saw a shirt that said "if you see me running, try to keep up.  I'm an EOD tech" and that's how he chose his MOS lol  Its a great job.  I feel like anything he chose would have some risk, so why not to something he loves?  I've met wives that have literally talked their husband's out of completed the EOD school just because of the risks involved...some people are nuts.  

Definitely not healthy for raising a family, but to each their own I guess...
Yeah, it's definitely one of those honorable military jobs. The risk involved In it persuaded me away from it all though. I just wanted a job that would keep me out of harms way, which is how I ended up with aircraft maintenance (that, and they claimed that I was knowledgeable in electronics somehow, and threw me in here against all my choices).
Gotta love the military, right?  Do you like your job?  Or did you want something else entirely different?
Well, I wanted to work on missiles, but they threw me in an open electrical field. I got stuck with electrical aircraft maintenance as a result. In all honesty though, I do enjoy the job. The hours, pacing, and politics of the job do suck at times, but it is tolerable, and gives me plenty of opportunities out in the civilian world.
View all replies
This is the wrong forum for this. You should have posted this in Deviants. This forum is for people who are looking for help with real life issues.
It is looking for help fyi but if it's really in the wrong place then an admin can move it.  I am looking for help dealing with problems associated with being in the military community
Okay, your post is not clear on asking for help, is all.
Does an army boyfriend count? I never really felt welcome in the military spouse community. Tried; gave up.

We went to high school together, I graduated 11 years ago; I went to college, he joined the Army right out of high school.  We met up again several years later when I was doing some civilian contract work, awesomely enough shortly after DADT was kicked to the curb. He's been a solider for all of his adult life, two tours in Iraq, etc,

Coping is weird. I knew what to say to him in a war zone, but back home I don't know how to read him when he is thinking about reenlisting.