To be, or not to be, the asshole?

Okay, so let's just say I've been witnessing a two-timing situation between two mutual friends and some obnoxious tramp who probably believes she's being sneaky about it. Both friends know about each other, but I don't think they know they're being played. Although it is possible that one of those friends is in it, but I don't have enough evidence to say so. But what I do have is proof of her sneaking around because friend #1 lives right underneath my unit in my building, and my boyfriend and I have both seen her car there many, many times. Hell I've even saw her and friend #1 romantically embracing a few times.

As for the other friend, I've overheard him and her talk about going on dates, and apparently have been spending a lot of time together as well. Friend #2 we'll call him, has been desperate for any sort of attention from a woman, so of course he wouldn't turn this snot nosed bitch down. So, to break the news to him would probably come off as me trying to make up shit, which I'm not.

Bottom line is, I consider both of them good friends and it boils my blood to know something like this is going down. So should I come out and spill it all? Should I be the asshole? Is it the right thing to do? I mean, it fucking irritates me to no end. I can't stand people who play others, especially people I consider friends.
So again, should I be the bad guy?
Comments42
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Had something like this happen when I was a freshman in college. I found myself in the middle of two 19 year-old girls who thought they had eachother figured out and that they were playing the other off, but in reality, they were kidding themselves.

Bottom line, it won't be long before one of them comes to the realization that something is fishy. I confident at least.
Not sure what you've done so far since some time has passed. I'd say if they're your good friends, you'd be good by telling them. Or at least one, so she can take responsibility & tell the other. As well, be prepared that you may lose them as friends because they lash out at you as the scapegoat. That would obviously not make them good friends.

If you don't tell them then you'll appear to be a 'good' friend during the event, but your true colours are flown when they realize you knew & didn't tell either.

Or you could just do an anonymous tip..
I already cut my losses with this one.
As in you told them?
I would stay out of it, act oblivious, and in 4 months they ask, say you had no idea. They're blund to get hurt anyway, so you may as well not get in the cross fire
easier said than done
Hey, you asked for words on this forum

ps- love the avatar :)
 You know, I had a girlfriend who cheated on me. My best friend didn't tell me he knew about it until 3 weeks after we broke up. I thought he was an arsehole for NOT telling me. Seriously. Being a dick is seeing something like that and not telling them. Go do it...NOW.
I would but it seems like shes stopped seeing the other friend. I haven't seen her car outside my building in over a week now.
Still doesn't change the fact she's turned friend #2 into a fucking jerk.
She's not even pretty to look at it, so why is he under her influence?
 The fact remains that it happened, and it probably will again. Look at it like this. How would you feel if you found out your boyfriend had been cheating on you, and your friend knew all about it, but didn't say anything even after it stopped happening. You'd feel pretty freaking betrayed by everyone, wouldn't you?

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and be the bearer of bad news. Trust me. No one but the cheater will hate you for it. And do you really want a skanky-two-timing hoe for a friend? Dun think so. :bucktooth:
That's a touchy situation.

What repercussions would result from being the asshole?

If they do not outweigh the good you can do with the truth, be the asshole, I guess.
Well, I don't think any of them would be happy with me. I'd probably get the cold shoulder, which is fine by me.

This chick has turned friend #2 into a jerk that I'm starting to dislike very much.
Ugh, I hate when that happens. That's what happened to a few of my friends after high school, everyone sleeping around with each other threw a stick into the spokes.

If you've got nothing more to lose, do it!
I will, I'm just going to wait for the golden opportunity.
Mention things offhand in a way that you're not calling it out, but as a "by the way I saw x do this the other day"..... and then let them resolve their shit.
Or don't.
I mean it's up to you. Either say something or stay out of it. They're both good options.
you're right, and I actually did mention something yesterday, and that chick was quick to answer lol.
Your new avatar is awesome.
You could always be the oblivious person instead. Tell them that you're very sorry that things didn't work out between them and the girl. If they go: "What do you mean?". Just go: "Oh... I'm sorry, I thought you guys broke up, since I saw that she's spending a lot of time with X now". If they ask, you can explain. If they don't want to know, at least you made the attempt.
That sounds like a terrible idea.  Way to break it to your pal that they got dumped in the most callous way possible just to save your own skin.