does my guy friend have feelings for me?

My best friend is a guy, and we are both 18. We have been friends for a couple years now, and recently we have been becoming closer and closer. Now whenever we hang out alone and I am leaving, we have a long very intimate hug. Is that normal? Or does he have feelings for me? He also once told me that he had a lot of love for me, and I thought that he just meant as friends, but now I'm not so sure. He's always listens to my relationship issues and I listen to his. Maybe there is something more between us? He also once said very recently that he couldn't see himself with a girl he had liked because she was the party type... He said he sees himself with someone like him. This statement is interesting because he and I are very much alike in many ways... What do you think? Does he want more?
Comments26
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
He's got it bad for ya. He likes you, and if you like him, it's up to you to decide wether or not you want to continue your current relationship.

Does your current relationship make you happy? If no, why not? You don't have to answer these here, just think about them. After all, those answers are none of my business.
And being with someone else... Ditto for when I liked my bestie when I told her. Think who'd make you happier and talk to him. But if HE is with someone else, you cannot burden him with that. You just can't.
Hi.
This sounds exactly like me and MY best friend. I absolutely love her to bits. But as a friend. True. I have had feelings for her a couple of times over the years and she's had feelings for me before too. If your friendship is as like mine as it sounds, then...
  From what you've said, it implies to me that you like him. If this is correct, and you are really close, then tell him how you feel. I told my friend when I liked her once and it didn't ruin anything. She didn't like me like that and I was okay with it. We are as good friends as ever. You just have to be okay with rejection. And if you're feeling for him and are too scared to say it, ask him if he has feelings for you. If he does, you're golden. If not... Well nothing. You stay friends and he maybe asks you why and you say that was the impression you got, that's all.
So yeah.  Seriously though. Don't take advice from strangers who don't know you (i.e. me.)
But let me know how it goes. And if you, for whatever idiotic reason, take advice from me and it all goes badly, I will personally give you my address and you can hunt me down and kill me.
:tux:
this has happened to me! just wait it out until it becomes inevitable to tell each other what you feel. there is no shame to a crush, you can't help it. be honest with yourself and look over the current relationship you're in. start thinking what you want most, and if you choose to break it off for your friend, wait. you want to make sure you're not too eager, because rushing is never a good thing. take a good while and think.
You aren't a mind reader, and neither are we. And even if we were, how would we be able to read the mind of a random guy a million miles away?

The truth is, you can speculate all you want, but unless you ask him you won't have a chance of actually knowing. If your goal is to make the best response to the situation it would be better to act off of knowledge rather than speculation, especially the speculation of random people on the internet.

However, what you've failed to say is how is how he feels about you relevant? How do you feel about him?
sounds like he has some feelings for you :)

It sounds like it but it is very hard to tell without actually seeing you interact with each other, these things tend to be in body language that you arent consiously aware of but are unconsiously analysing.  The only thing I could suggest is asking him if he is?

Also are you interested in him? If you are you could just ask him out if not then ask him if he is and make it clear you dont return the feelings. It will likly make things awkward for a bit but if you back off and give him some space to resolve his feelings then the two of you should be able to be good friends again in the future.

Asking him would be too easy, right.
It's much more fun making strangers guess, right?
Like a challenge to spice up your life, right?

In all seriousness, just ask him.
I guess I want to make sure my thoughts were correct before I asked. He and I are very close and I don't want to ruin a friendship with guesses that could be wrong.
If such a question was enough to ruin your friendship, you're not very good friends, nor very close.

If you asked, and he said you were wrong, that isn't the end of the world. Why would he be upset about the question?
I guess I mean it may make it awkward. 
Why?

If he doesn't have feelings for you, he won't be very emotional about it.
I see. I think I understand. Thank You.
Best of luck.
I would say probably yes.

If you do not want to ask him yet, there are a lot of ways you could test this through body language... google it and check it out but don't make your conclusions on that alone... 

If you are interested then show your interest if not then start to discourage his advances in a nice way.
Are you saying I should test this through my body language or watch his? 
The best way to find out is to just ask him.
What if it ruins our friendship?
If you have a good friendship, one that is strong, it shouldn't do too much damage there.

That depends on how you approach and how both of you react to it, though.
I would say he is but it's hard to get into a guy's brain. If it's making you uncomfortable I would bring it up though.
I wish it made me uncomfortable. The problem is if he does, I do too. And that's a problem because I'm with someone else at the moment.