Relationship advice, outside opinions needed

So, I posted here a while ago at the start of the relationship about whether or not I should inform my parents about dating someone 15 years my senior ( a big thanks to everyone who commented on that, it was enlightening ).

Now, nearly 3 months in my parents are aware and not happy, at all. They are convinced that I am being manipulated and I will struggle to develop as I should have if I continue. Originally order a no contact situation but I have only agreed to do this for 5 weeks and am taking this time to reflect upon my relationship and how to proceed.

At this point I recognise that my boyfriend and I are at different stages of life and there is a possibility that I would regret not being with someone closer to my age, especially when I m in my 'prime'. I have always been considered mature by those around me ( I am not 15 years ahead of myself admittedly) and I think that if approached correctly I could have a lot of fun with this relationship.

I guess what I want is peoples opinions on what I should do or what they would do in my situation. And thoughts on what I should do if my parents don't want me to continue. (I am 19 by the way)
Comments34
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Follow your heart,let that guide you.
Thank you, the decision is made then.
in the end it will always come to the obvious point
you're 19, you can do what you want.
or maybe wait till you're 20 so at least you can say 'i'm not a teen anymore'
Perhaps society and parents might be more comfortable but I don't now if another year will make that much of a difference.
I see no problem with having fun with someone with that much of an age difference, but I'd advise against considering a serious relationship.

I mean, do what you want, but landing with him is ultimately not going to be in your best interests, so that's my advice. :shrug:
I think I remember commenting on your first post.

I understand why your parents have an issue with it - most normal parents would be somewhat uncofortable with their child dating someone who is closer to them in age than to the child. My boyfriend is only eight years younger than my parents (ten years older than me), and I can't say my mother overjoyed at my relationship.

However, my parents do realize that I am old enough to make my own decisions and they trust my judgement. I would suggest trying to help your parents to see that this is your own life, and even though they may not approve of the age gap, it is YOUR relationship - not theirs.

As for the different stages of life thing....I mean....not really. He's just been alive a little longer than you, which, as a few people before me have pointed out, this just means a few more life experiences. But in my experience, this can be a good thing. I learn a lot from my boyfriend. He's been through a lot more than me, which means he has a lot of stories to tell, as well as being able to offer experienced insight to any problem I might be having in my life. Also, him being so much older than me obviously makes him a lot older than other guys my age, which results in him being very mature about our relationship. We don't fight about the childish things I used to fight about with other guys I dated. He's all "been there, done that." It's nice. :) I would imagine that your guy is probably very similar in that way.

Anyways, you should really only do what YOU want to do. Listen to advice and input - even from your parents if you want - but at the end of the day, the only voice that really matters is yours. The simple answer to your problem is, if you like him, date him. If your relationship makes you uncomfortable, then by all means, dip out. Best of luck. :)
Thank you so much for that! That makes sense and is a really nice way of viewing the positives of this. I think I've made my mind up. :)
If you care deeply for him that should be all that matters,but always have a back up plan if it ever goes south. i can understand your parents concern about you and basically they are just worried about you, but when it comes down to it, its up to you and your feelings for him. even though he's 15 years your senior at least he is more mature ,which i think should be a good thing for the parents at least.
I really hope my parents will be able to see this point of view, at least to some extent.
yeah i hope so as well for you, if not maybe bring it up to them that he's more mature then guys your age who are probably out causing trouble or doing things they shouldn't at least with him he isn't as likely to be doing that stuff. but since he's older at least he would be able to help you grow as well since he already been through all of that. basically the argument is be with someone who is your age and will hurt ya in some immature way or be with someone who already been through all of that who is stable who can help ya grow because he is mature, because lets face it not everyone is comfortable going to their parents for advice about certain things no matter what it is.
fun is not the basis of a good relationship.

fun can be the awesome topping, it can be the splendiferous result, it can be the spokes on the proverbial porcupine, but not the basis.

my advice is to keep up the discernment and don't engage in any relationship that isn't built, or being built on commitment.
I can understand why your parents are not pleased with it.

but when you're happy with him, and you're sure he wouldn't cheat and such.. then why not?
I know some people who had similar experiences. Their stories ended very differently.

First, my grandparents story: They met when my grandma was 17, and my grandfather was 31. They fell in love, got a child and had to get married although my grandma was very young (well, else it would have been pretty hard for my grandma...). They got another child and still live together happily.

But there's also a (very) sad story. A friend of my family met a guy that was 15 years older than her. They got a child and got married. They got another child. They broke up, then they were together again. And then they broke up definetely, because the guy wanted to have a younger girlfriend. So the guy started a whole new life (he was still very young) and just wanted to forget about his two children and the old friends he had with his (old) wife.

I guess that a high age-difference increases the probability of having a bad ending. But love stories can have a happy and a bad ending, it only depends on you (and your boyfriend).
There are two sides of the coin, I suppose I just need to be aware of that, and try and work out which side I m on.

Thank you for presenting both sides.
I think that since you are legally an adult, listening to your parents doesn't really matter and it's more about what you think than anything. I would just wary because of the age gap, pay closer attention to things he says or does, and be very clear about how fast you want things to go physically and mentally etc, just because since his relationship experience is greater he may want to proceed in anything faster:

Although unless he's just looking for a youngin he's also probably aware you'll wamt to be more cautious with the relationship and probably figures you'll be more careful etc, so he may be more respectful than someone your age.

I really just think you'll have to play it by ear very carefully.
I agree with that, snails pace is completely acceptable in this situation.
First off, don't completely disregard what your parents (especially your mother) has to say.

Second, the only thing is the difference in life experiences. He's already lived out part of his life where you, at 19, may not be completely sure of where you're headed in life yet (idk). I guess more like, you're still growing while most of his developing is pretty much done with.

This is advice for basically any relationship, and that is don't let him stop you from becoming your own person and doing what you want to do in life, don't be his young pet.
And like someone stated earlier, there are usually reasons when someone dates someone else way out of the age range. You should look into that...

But, if you see that he is supporting you in your goals and that he want you to continue to grow to be a better person then you have a good relationship. I wish you all the best!
Those are valid points and something I will make sure happens. Thank you for that.
He's too older than you. You'd bette stop the relationship as soon as possible.
"There is a possibility that I would regret not being with someone closer to my age, especially when I'm in my 'prime'."

Can you elaborate on this?
Sure, one of the main things people keep telling me that I will miss out on experiences and opportunities that most young people have. That I would grow up too fast and lose that part of my life that would be filled with new experiences because an older partner has already been through this and might not want to go through it again. I could regret not having been with someone younger who would be new to all these things too and we could experience it together.
Sorry, I was more aiming at the part about you being in your "prime", what you meant with that :)
Oh sorry, I was referring to being 19 and what people keep telling me is that I have all these open doors and options that I won't have later on. I am not 100% on this though, I think I will also have options and such later on too.