Is it hard to move to another country?

Was wondering if anyone with such experience could advise me on how to go about this. I know passports are needed, but that is about it. What exactly does one need to know to move out of their home country?
Comments29
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
is moving means to move like living in there for ling time..or just visiting for some..well in any case its depends how u look at things..i mean friends..leaving ppl u love and like can be realy hard for ones and realy easy for others..like me ..lived all time in my country then moved to uk very easily and liked there even more actualy ..so no prob..then was some time again in scandinavian side..again no prob..even if left many stuff or throw them away its not hard..and ppl ..well things changes..and new ppl comes and goes..real friends are realy rare no have exp with those so never had problem leave from somewere to somewere..i even fell better after doing that ..its kinda stayying in one place is kinda booring..and life is short..
Where are you from?  Where are you considering moving?  Some countries can be harder to immigrate into than others.  The US actually has a more lenient policy than most.

I have a friend who lives in Germany on a work visa, I believe.  When she decided to move, she just did a crapload of research on their immigration laws, how long she would be able to remain on a visa, availability of jobs in her field, etc.  She also contacted other US nationals she knew in Germany, to see what it was going to be like, etc.  These are all the kinds of things you probably want to look into.  Probably also wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer with knowledge on the legal aspects.
The US has a broken system that forces talented individuals to move to Canada and other countries.

That's why Microsoft and others have a large presence there and various 'thinkers' and businessmen want to build an island just inside international waters off the coast of California, to retain talent.

Yeah, it might be easy getting in on a visa or worker's permit the first time. After that, it's a wreck.
You're bringing up a bunch of issues I wasn't even trying to address. Anyway, I wasn't implying that the US is easy-peasy for immigrants and those on work visas, only that it's easier than many other countries to move to.
Canada, much like other countries, has a points system for immigration. Things like knowing French or other languages, being a skilled tradesman or having post-secondary degrees, being single, and having a job already lined up all add points. If you're under a certain number of points, you will be rejected. Keep in mind Canada is a very popular destination for immigrants, so much that the system is backed up for years at the moment and Canada occasionally suspends the acceptance of new applications entirely.

Anyways, DA is a pretty bad place to get this advice. Why not check the government's website? Here's a test you can take online to see if you'd be eligible to come into Canada without going through the hassle of immigration papers: [link]
Thanks a lot for the info, thisismyboat! I'm definitely going to check that link out =)
You may want to do some more research into Canada if you really think Quebec is only now getting to secede :B

Visa's the big thing, I only know the US ones in detail but I'd imagine Canada still requires some kind of sponsorship if you want to stay long-term.
I see, so things might not be as easy as I'd hoped. I'll have to research visa's more too, to see what is needed and what I can do to get one. I appreciate your advice, as moving has been on my mind for a while now.
Can I ask why you want to go to Canada in particular? The US is pretty huge. :O
After seeing Sicko by Michael Moore, I've become disgusted with some of the policies utilized by US healthcare. I was hoping to move to a country that has a much better system for it. That, and the film industry looks appealing to me over there.
The Canadian film industry isn't really that big. Beyond the NFB it's just indie film makers and small companies. A lot of filming done in Canada is actually American companies who film here because it's cheaper. Honestly, packing up and moving to a completely different country because you saw a Michael Moore documentary once is a pretty bad reason. Michael Moore is pretty notorious for severely skewing the content of his films through clever editing, sometimes outright lying. Instead of abandoning ship, why not find out ways you can change the policies in your country and make it a better place for everyone?
I think you're uninformed.
CANADA'S film industry appeals to you? :lol: No, I'm sorry, but America kicks out ass left right and center when it comes to film. I mean, c'mon, our national treasures are Corner Gas, Trailer Park Boys and The RedGreen Show...
The whole thing is a pile of cocks. I work in one side of the industry. D:

I've heard some pretty frustrating things about Canada's system, although at least it's nationalized.

No idea about film industries anywhere.
I wouldn't say it's about countries being full and not wanting more people. It's about ensuring that you won't be another mouth to feed. But yeah, depending on where you want to go, it varies greatly. For EU and most of "First World" countries you have to have some form of visa (sponsored by either an employer or educational institution or a family member - and sponsored has nothing to do with money in this case). Plus, a proof of income. Language skills are an important part too. For one, in France even if people speak English, they don't like to speak it and probably won't even talk to you if you don't make the effort to learn their language. Oh, and lots and lots of endurance to deal with the bureaucratic carousel.
I can understand this, it is only natural for people to prefer speaking in their native language. If I did move to France I would make the effort to learn the language. One thing that worries me though is that even if I do speak french, would I have to worry about having a foreign accent? Er, I mean, would people still be put off from an accent that clearly flags me from another country, even though I speak the language.
Are you put off by people with foreign accent? I have been living in the US for 4 years now and while I'm almost accent-less, it sometimes comes to the surface and people are always able to tell I'm a foreigner. I haven't noticed being ostracized from the society just on that alone. Even if from another country, people are still people. If you make a step towards them, they will make a step towards you (unless, you know, they are total assholes and you don't want to talk to those anyway).
I'm not personally put off by anything like that. Variety is one of the things I find interesting in the world =). I guess I was just worried because I have met xenophobic people before, but as you mentioned people are people. Some are good, some not so much, but I wouldn't want to be talking to the not so much ones anyway.

This does make me feel a lot better. People are people. The concept is a great thing to remember when moving.
All you really need is a good head on your shoulders to know when something seems fishy while dealing with everyday situations, as things may be different than what you're used to (oh, the difference between European and American toilets!).

Seriously, use your head, don't be a jerkface and you'll be just fine.
It entirely depends on what country you're planning on moving to.
Depends on the country, I think, both where you're from and where you're going to. My boyfriend from Australia is planning to move here with me this summer. Prolly helps if you have family there (and by that I mean immediate family - your parents or your spouse; nowadays you can't even bring your parents into the country for Canadaland here). Most countries are kind of full and don't really want more people.
I see. Actually, I was interested in more information about moving to Canada from the US. Someone told me to stay away from Quebec though, as it is getting ready to secede from Canada? :?

Btw how ya been Ari? So nice to see ya again ^^
Ah. XD Canada is really nice, and the people here are a lot less stupid. *shot*

I think permanent residence isn't too hard to get if you're from the States, but I'm not sure about citizenship, unless you have family (specifically: parents or spouse) here. It's tightened up a lot lately. For example, when I said boyfriend is coming here, we're actually planning to get married so the citizenship bit would be easier to get for him (since I'm Canadian).

That said, though, if you're coming to Toronto, you can definitely visit or crash at my place for a while, and I'll help you with finding housing and work.

It's not so much "stay away from Quebec", but they ARE kind of off on their own, yeah. Plus they all speak French. XD

Nice to see you too! Sorry I haven't really talked. Didn't have anything to reply.
Awesome, thanks Ari! You're a really great friend =)

WHOA. I didn't know you were getting married? CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's so awesome. I've had a few GF's, but so far haven't found the right one yet I guess. One of them is now a really close friend of mine though, that I talk to every day.

Btw, when are ya gonna post some more art? =)