Closed to new replies
February 25, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

Is it hard to move to another country?

:iconmechakraken:
MechaKraken Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Was wondering if anyone with such experience could advise me on how to go about this. I know passports are needed, but that is about it. What exactly does one need to know to move out of their home country?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconscalman:
scalman Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
is moving means to move like living in there for ling time..or just visiting for some..well in any case its depends how u look at things..i mean friends..leaving ppl u love and like can be realy hard for ones and realy easy for others..like me ..lived all time in my country then moved to uk very easily and liked there even more actualy ..so no prob..then was some time again in scandinavian side..again no prob..even if left many stuff or throw them away its not hard..and ppl ..well things changes..and new ppl comes and goes..real friends are realy rare no have exp with those so never had problem leave from somewere to somewere..i even fell better after doing that ..its kinda stayying in one place is kinda booring..and life is short..
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
Where are you from?  Where are you considering moving?  Some countries can be harder to immigrate into than others.  The US actually has a more lenient policy than most.

I have a friend who lives in Germany on a work visa, I believe.  When she decided to move, she just did a crapload of research on their immigration laws, how long she would be able to remain on a visa, availability of jobs in her field, etc.  She also contacted other US nationals she knew in Germany, to see what it was going to be like, etc.  These are all the kinds of things you probably want to look into.  Probably also wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer with knowledge on the legal aspects.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
The US has a broken system that forces talented individuals to move to Canada and other countries.

That's why Microsoft and others have a large presence there and various 'thinkers' and businessmen want to build an island just inside international waters off the coast of California, to retain talent.

Yeah, it might be easy getting in on a visa or worker's permit the first time. After that, it's a wreck.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Professional General Artist
You're bringing up a bunch of issues I wasn't even trying to address. Anyway, I wasn't implying that the US is easy-peasy for immigrants and those on work visas, only that it's easier than many other countries to move to.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Canada, much like other countries, has a points system for immigration. Things like knowing French or other languages, being a skilled tradesman or having post-secondary degrees, being single, and having a job already lined up all add points. If you're under a certain number of points, you will be rejected. Keep in mind Canada is a very popular destination for immigrants, so much that the system is backed up for years at the moment and Canada occasionally suspends the acceptance of new applications entirely.

Anyways, DA is a pretty bad place to get this advice. Why not check the government's website? Here's a test you can take online to see if you'd be eligible to come into Canada without going through the hassle of immigration papers: [link]
Thanks a lot for the info, thisismyboat! I'm definitely going to check that link out =)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You may want to do some more research into Canada if you really think Quebec is only now getting to secede :B

Visa's the big thing, I only know the US ones in detail but I'd imagine Canada still requires some kind of sponsorship if you want to stay long-term.
I see, so things might not be as easy as I'd hoped. I'll have to research visa's more too, to see what is needed and what I can do to get one. I appreciate your advice, as moving has been on my mind for a while now.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Can I ask why you want to go to Canada in particular? The US is pretty huge. :O
After seeing Sicko by Michael Moore, I've become disgusted with some of the policies utilized by US healthcare. I was hoping to move to a country that has a much better system for it. That, and the film industry looks appealing to me over there.
Add a Comment: