Does scoliosis cause any back/muscle pain?

I have a curve of 28 degrees (the last time I checked which was November 2012)
Since yesterday my back hurts a lot, but only when I bend my back. I don't feel any pain while I sleep/straight back
So I'm just worried that my scoliosis is the cause of my back pain.
Since it is summer I've stopped doing my Pilates (exercise) that were recommended by my physiotherapist. I stopped doing Pilates for like a month....
But around the end of February I started to do my Pilates again.

So I'm wondering if I over used my back muscles or something?
I'm soo worried....
I plan on waiting for a week.....and if the pain doesn't go away I'll probably go to the physiotherapist

Please no sarcastic comments
Comments43
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have 15 degrees they said it can cause tightness in muscles and some people need to get massages or special stretches. My doctor said I shouldn't feel any pain from it
I have one side that is tight.
I do Pilates stretches
Can someone lock this thread now?
It can. Scoliosis causes your spine (and the rest of you) to be unbalanced, so the muscles are strained unevenly and that can cause pain.

PT is the best way to treat it. When you first start doing exercise again it can make you sore. You should keep doing it unless it becomes very painful.

Make sure you don't just sit around and wait for it to heal. It's better to make sure you move around to the best of your ability. If you can't do anything else try to take a gentle walk every day.
It gives me horrendous lower back pain if I'm bent over (doing manual labour, you dirty git) for prolonged periods of time.
It'll be a weakness of the muscles on the curved side of your back. The exercises you've been given are to help strengthen the muscles on both sides of your spine in order to prevent pain as much as possible. However you'll always have pain in your back from scoliosis and possibly in your neck, shoulders, legs and feet depending on how the spine curves.

My spine curves near the small of my back and again around my shoulder blades, so I have some twisting of my ribcage too. I also have flat feet and an inward twist in my hip so I am pigeon toed. I have been doing exercises for it since i was 12 and my doctor advised that i don't do any heavy lifting. The only way someone would notice I have these problems is if I slumped or if they looked at my feet when I walk. As a result from doing all these exercises I have good posture and I am still really flexible in my back, although I still injure it on occasion and it takes me a little while to get over.

Unfortunately you'll always have pain in your spine but so long as you keep up maintenance the curvature shouldn't worsen and the pain will be less severe then it would be if you didn't do any exercises.
I'm flat footed as well.
Hm...I got the back pains after I started my exercises...(which I haven't been doing for like a month...so maybe I overused my muscle or something)
So are you saying that all people who have scoliosis get "some" pain, but if you do the exercises that your doctor/physiotherapist the pain won't be as bad?

When I first went to my physiotherapist she said that
when I get up from a sitting position I use my spine/back too much. So in other words when getting up from a chair etc I must use more of my leg muscles. So I was given leg strengthening exercises etc.

I always wonder is it my actual spine (bone) that hurts or the back muscles?....I just can't tell the difference :shrug:
It's usually the muscles that hurt as the spine curvature strains the muscles on one side of your back and causes the other side to become weak. The back pains you are having are probably due to those weaker muscles getting strengthened. I use to have a heat pack permanently on my back because of it, but it eventually gets better.

I don't think I had that problem with the over use of my spine, I use my legs and hips to stand etc. but I attribute that to dancing when I was younger. I was given leg, shoulder and back exercises but I also went on to do yoga, which I found to be very good for my spine, so long as you keep away from a few positions that require you to support yourself with your spine. I also found it best to do most of my exercises in the shower, since the hot water stops muscles from pulling.

Pretty much everyone with scoliosis will have worse back pain then the general populous but it will be significantly lessened if you keep following what your doctor prescribed you. I've been doing these exercises since I was 12 (i'm 20 now) and I think they helped a lot, though I'm still limited in how much i can do without injuring my spine.
Oh, okay thank you for the advice. :D
Oh and for sore muscles, hot packs are recommended right?
So it's NOT GOOD to put a cold pack on sore muscles
You're Welcome ^.^

A cold pack will cause cramps which you don't want because the cold pack constricts capillaries which is good for cuts and burns. For muscles warmth is always best as it promotes blood flow.
This is a really random question but.... If you have scoliosis is it a bad idea to do pushups?
Since it's not weight lifting...but you ARE holding your own body weight.....

I have been told as well by my doctor, not do do any jobs etc that require lifting heavy objects...
I wonder if pushups are bad... :shrug:
I personally hate pushups but they do strengthen areas supporting your spine, so they should be ok. It's mostly heavy lifting of objects that'll hurt your spine.
View all replies
Does the pain travel anywhere? Like is there a sharp shooting pain down your leg or back when you bend forward? Or is it just in one spot that you could easily point to?
Only one spot...which is the lower back. near the pelvis area...
I'm not sure if it's my spine hurting or if I just have a sprained back muscles or something.
Unless you got a small fracture, it's more than likely just muscle ache. If it doesn't get better after a few days or starts getting worse, then of course go to the doctor, but there's a good chance it's nothing to worry about :)
:)
Didn't know sore muscles could be so painful.
The first two days I could barely bend my back to tie my shoes.
But it's getting a bit better
They can be, especially if you tore it :)
I've heard that it's not good to do exercise while your muscles are sore.
Unless it's just walking.
If it's that painful, then no. It sounds like, at best, you pulled a muscle. At worst, you tore it or possibly you have a tiny fracture :) regardless, it needs time to heal and it needs rest ^_^ If it is a muscle, then an NSAID of some sort, like ibuprofen or aleve, could be helpful.

Though if your muscles have that "burn" sensation after an intense workout, then it's actually good to get them moving a bit to get some of the chemicals that have build up in them to flow out.
View all replies
Doctor, ask 'em (even talking to a nurse practitioner, they may be able to reassure you). No one is qualified to give a medical opinion over the Internet.