Closed to new replies
February 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 71

Why are relationships so important?

:iconneoxe:
Neoxe Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
So after some personal business with my now ex girlfriend, I came to the conclusion that I will no longer go and get a relationship. If someone asks me out, I will politely turn them down. I had some friends find this out, and they tried talking me out of it. In the process of doing so, a lot of them got frustrated at me. My question is simply this; Why are relationships so damn important? Why can't I just live my life without a spouse/girlfriend or whatever and just have my friends to help me?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwirejeweller:
Wirejeweller Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
You're in an emotional and mental place right now where you want to try out not being in a relationship, and that's fine. The decision, if you ever decide to change it, is changeable.

Until then, be happy!
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
I've been single for about 6/7 years now and I've really embraced it by now. All of my friends and my sister are having dramatic relationship trouble, have to arrange everything with their significant other while I just sit there and do whatever I want and nobody nags at me. I love it. I used to worry a bit about being single but now I honestly don't really give a poot. Relationships are only "important" because somehow biologically we have to reproduce.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
they're not important and you can live a happy life without one. Society just likes to think that everyone should have a significant other and those who choose to remain single are labeled "losers". Well fuck that shit you're living your life for yourself not society, so if you don't want any part in relationships, that's your decision. It's too bad people can't respect the decisions of others.
:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Photographer
i guess it depends of persons but personally I hate being single, I just need someone to love, to give my affection to, to simply care about someone even if it means having not as much liberty
:iconsingagainsoon:
singagainsoon Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A lot of people I know put a good deal of value into relationships, and keep trying to put me with people, even though I have no interest in relationships right now. I'd rather concentrate on graduating next year, saving for my car/college, and I'm happier by myself anyway. Much less stress.

Don't let people try to push you into something you don't want. Do what makes you happy.
Neoxe Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Right. Although I'm thinkng of maybe reconsidering my choice..
:iconsingagainsoon:
singagainsoon Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If that's what you want, then I say go for it.
:iconferdafs:
Ferdafs Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I think its important to have a girlfriend/spouse because she is the only person that might love you as much as you love yourself and she might be the only person that you love more than yourself.
I understand. I just don't want to be hurt again..I'm really getting tired of it..
:iconponyfluff:
ponyfluff Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
You will get hurt no matter what you do. Welcome to reality and life itself, kiddo! :dummy:
You're right. It's best to just embrace it and live life trusting someone.
That is something that you can't change. You will get hurt one way or another. So live for today, life is short XP
You're right. I shouldn't just reclude myself and just give up completely..
good thinking :icongoodjobplz:
:iconmonkeydoodles:
monkeydoodles Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
You can do whatever you want, but remember that your only point of reference right now is relationships with teenagers. Every relationship is a learning experience and most people get better at them as they get older.
:iconhanna-riikka:
Hanna-Riikka Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
I don't see any reason (except possible loneliness later on) why people couldn't stay single and be happy like that. :P
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
they aren't, but our species is built that way.
For now you want to take time for yourself and that's ok. Later on you'll probably find someone again.
I understand. However, I have doubts about the part of me finding someone else. Sure, I'll have attractions throughout life, but I'll just have to shake them off and consider them unimportant.
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You do what you want but dying alone is very sad
Neoxe Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know it is.
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
fine
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional
Nothing wrong with taking some time to yourself. But it's a bit harsh to say you're COMPLETELY done and never want to be involved ever.
How come I shouldn't just quit cold turkey?
You don't know if you may want to go back in the future.
I probably will. It's best I just keep myself available for someone.
Fair enough.
:icondarksilverflame:
DarkSilverflame Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
According to your profile, you're 18 years old. This means you only have experience with dopey teenage girls who are not mature or experienced, don't have it in their nature to commit and will change their feelings quickly. Very limited experience.
Also, there are two sides to the equation. Don't be whiny. You gotta work on yourself to be attractive and worth keeping in the first place.
That's the thing. I never really whined in the last relationship, she was simply using me for my body.
:iconmorthax:
Morthax Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
because people are social animals and it's our nature to try and find a damn mate. HOWEVER if you feel you don't want to be in a relationship right now, cool. Nothing wrong with that. :shrug:
:iconshadow-proxy:
Shadow-Proxy Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
People are obsessed with the idea of falling in love, settling down and living your standard fairy tale life.

Relationships are NOT THAT important, if you find someone to love, you find someone to love. Congrats, you got lucky.
If you don't, well it's not the end of the world.

People are just so afraid of being alone, they don't stop to realize that you don't need people around to have fun and enjoy life. You CAN be one single person and find enjoyment in both big and little things.

I say, do what makes you happy in life! :D
Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback and I agree 100%
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If you want to stay single, you go for that. You do that. Be happy and alone, its completely possible no matter what anyone else says.
But at the same time, don't completely shut down relationships. If you meet a person you could really love, go for it. Don't let past hurt stop you.
So I shouldn't turn down every girl regardless of how heart-felt their confession is?
Depends how you feel.
Stay single and don't look, turn down girls you dont like, but if you find yourself head over heels and in love, why push it away?
Go for it if YOU feel something, not because someone else confessed.
But the fact remains that if I do come up an attraction to someone, they're just going to hurt me like every other woman I've been with. So I'll have to simply tell myself that it's unecessary..
They will hurt you. And you will hurt them.
But you will work it out, and get past the hurt together.
You will both be stronger and happier for it :3
Who's to say I'm even dateable..? I've been both broken up with AND friend-zoned my whole life..All my relationships have consisted of 90% and 10% pleasure..
Man I know how you feel.
I was in an abusive relationship for over 4 years, got cheated on 30+ times, and before that rejected, teased, and bullied because of how I looked.
Relationships sucks. People suck.
But everyone is dateable. Just because you've had bad relationships, doesn't mean you'll never have a good one.

All I'm saying is that if you want to stay single, then do it! Its understandable if thats what makes you happy.
But if being with someone will make you happy, but you are staying single out of pain, don't.
And don't shut yourself off completely. If you find love, take it.
I understand. Thank you for all of your support =3
(1 Reply)
:icondr-gunhammer:
Dr-GUNHaMMER Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
simple: they arent.
:iconglaber:
Glaber Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Personally, I'm 26 and the reason I looked, was because I was beginning to feel a bit lonely. Sure you can have your friends to back you up, but sometimes, you just need someone who really cares for you.

Now I might not be ready to look again at this point, but I'm not saying never. After all, I do want to become a father.
You'll find someone someday. Just give it time, just be sure you're happy with your choices, like me.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student General Artist
I dunno man. Your plan sounds solid. It's what I've been doing all my life
:iconepic-candy:
Epic-Candy Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
I know a number of people that are avoiding any romantic relationships until they have their career or other part of their lives secured. And there's nothing wrong with that. Frankly I think a lot of it is social pressure to have one, from peers to relatives, to fit in with normal.
I think you're right. Only, I don't really plan to stop avoiding once I hit financial stability, but all romance all together for the rest of my life. To live asexually, y'know?
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It's human nature to live, procreate, and die, and we tend to be monogamous while doing it. You can do whatever the fuck you want, but you certainly don't sound asexual and changing your entire life course because of some broad that dumped you is pretty ridiculous. There's nothing forbidding you from simply not dating right now, because you need time. But you'll look like an idiot if you keep saying this when you're in a negative mindset and get a girlfriend a year from now.

And I mean, if you're not asexual, there's no logic in quitting. Sure, protecting yourself from heartache, but we as a race wouldn't have come very far at all if we just gave up that easily.
I understand, but this isn't just to product of one break up, but six. All of which smashed my heart. I just came to the conclusion that me and relationships aren't a good combo.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
That sucks, but it's not as if you're special for having six breakups: We all go through a lot of heartache before we find "the one", if you will. You can give up now and accept no one ever loving you as a definite thing. Or you can try, and maybe succeed. But giving up guarantees failure.
I know it does. I just feel that friends are all I really need. I can accept an asexual life.
Add a Comment: