Details

Closed to new replies
February 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42
:iconttfnjinx:
TTFNJinx Feb 13, 2013  Student Interface Designer
I don't know I just need someone to talk to about this..

My mom thinks I'm depressed...she says shes noticed I'm always tired more so than usual. I told her I'm just stressing over school but shes putting me on zoloph...some kind anxiety/ anti depressents. The doctor agrees tlwith this too.

Maybe I am depressed, ive been having this needing to cry feeling lately and I want to do is stay in bed all day. I don't know I'm not happy but I don't feel miserable or anything... I don't feel like cutting g right now or suicide as much. I don't have a real good reason to be depressed so maybe I'm not.

But I'm more worried about more medication. I'm worried it'll make me fake happy. I want to be happy but on ky own terms. Yes I know I should give it a shot but thing is I feel like I don't have say in anything.

All the doctors and counselors are doing the talking I feel like no one is listening to me anymore! I just feel so alone and I really want everyone to understand. My mom doesn't understand she just starts crying because I remind her of her best friend who was bipolar (and killed herself) . My dad just yells at me. My counselor is more a.d.d. than I am. My doctor is too busy to listen. Can anybody hear me?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Feb 14, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
And don't refuse to medicate on the grounds of possible side effects. Everything has possible side effects. Not everybody has them.

Take it for a little while and see.
TTFNJinx Feb 14, 2013  Student Interface Designer
That's what my counselor said. But she made me realize it doesn't matter if its my body or not I'll never have a say in what is put in it until I'm 18.
puppy-dangerous Feb 15, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Unfortunately that's true.

But after that point you do have the option of going off everything and never talking to any of them again.
puppy-dangerous Feb 14, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Being listless, tired, feeling sick, wanting to hurt yourself, sleeping all day etc, for no reason is depression. If you have a reason it's sadness.

When you sleep for a week because your cat died, that's sadness. When you sleep for a week just because that is depression.

It's a medical condition, a chemical imbalance. Not an emotion.

Take the meds for three months. If you feel better, then you have chemical depression and they are helping. If you don't, you can choose to try something else or stop medicating.

And if you ARE just stressing out about school, then it might help take the edge off and make things easier on you. Stress can cause chemical depression, and then that makes things worse. Correcting the chemical imbalance can give you more energy and focus so you can take care of everything that is overwhelming you, then you don't need to worry about it anymore.

You don't have to be medicated for life. You can try something for a while and then stop.
:iconjessaminediane:
JessamineDiane Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually you can have reasons for depression. :) There are different types of depression.
puppy-dangerous Feb 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
That's true, you can have situational depression. But if you can't get out of the situation then you might as well correct the resulting chemical imbalance first, then you can deal with correcting whatever is wrong.
:iconjessaminediane:
JessamineDiane Feb 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah I guess. For me I am depressed because of my other mental illness.
TTFNJinx Feb 14, 2013  Student Interface Designer
The thing is...I'm named after my mom's best friend...who had depression and took medication. But when she was 18 she went off it and killed herself...she couldn't handle being off of her medicine, she was used to it. My goal for 6 years so far has been to work at not needing my A.D.D. medication anymore. I'm getting better. But what if I end up like her? What if I can't ever go off the medication?
puppy-dangerous Feb 15, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, that may be the case. But maybe not.

If your brain just doesn't make the right chemicals, then you're going to always need some way to correct it, whether through meds or herbs.

I don't much care for taking meds, either, but it's better than the alternative.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It's Zoloft. The point of a med like this isn't to promote a "fake happy". It's to remedy the hypothetical biochemical problems that may be preventing genuine happy from arising. Wanting to cry all the time and stay in bed all day isn't a normal reaction to anything, and it's the depressions that come up for no good reason that are the ones to seek particular help for. (When real shit happens, it's normal to react with sadness. Sadness with no cause is something else, especially when it interferes with your normal activities.)

What kind of a doctor are you seeing for this? Managing antidepressants is something for a psychiatrist. IMO, a family practitioner or pediatrician has no business prescribing them. If that's who's writing the scripts, insist on seeing a psychiatrist before you take ANYTHING. Also IMO, not even psychiatrists always understand what these things do to people, but they're better qualified than other doctors for whom treating psychiatric problems is outside their specialties.
Add a Comment: