Closed to new replies
February 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Frustrated with 3D design teacher

:iconshadowtoon:
shadowtoon Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Okay, I'm a community college student majoring in Art to become an animator. Right now I'm taking a 3D design class and absolutely dislike/hate the class. This is my first time taking any kind of class involving making sculptures.

The project we're working on now is a 'Found Object' sculpture and every idea I throw at my teacher he dislikes. The sculpture we build is suppose to be based on a theme (ex: emotions, war, movement ect...) and it's suppose to be about myself, my life.

I've shown him ideas on
building a ferris wheel based on my emotions (each seat having a different emotion I experience, for example I would have put failing grades on a seat for my hate.)

He didn't like that because he asked why a ferris wheel? I told him it's like emotions are a ride, always changing, that and I like ferris wheels.

Since he didn't like that idea, I decided to make another idea on using a bicycle wheel. The concept of this was to put past experiences that frustrated me on the wheel. I would take bike rides to relieve my anger sometimes. Now he says the idea feels too forced and too metaphoric.

Finally, back at school from the weekend I was suppose to have something 50% built. It's just that we're not allowed to start building something without his approval of an idea. Since I didn't know what to do, I just built a train out of stuff laying around the house. And I thought it looked good. He, um, didn't agree.

What's funny is that he loves the ideas of my other classmates. One is doing a dragon costume. He loves the idea because she's Wearing what she finds interesting (dragons). Another student is puting
cards from her mother on a tree stump. (even though we're not suppose to use anything organic, he's letting her do it)

...I really don't know what to do.
The teacher seems to hate it when I have questions. So when I ask for help, he just says that he's
not going to do my project for me. All I wanted to know was how some of my fellow classmates and powerpoint presentations he showed worked better than mine. How can I improve my ideas? What am I not getting?

He just gets angry when I ask him questions. He also says I'm the only one that he has to deal with when it comes to asking questions.

Is there something wrong with me?

Any encouragement would be helpful.
thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmacollado17:
macollado17 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I can't relate all that much... But it sounds really frustrating. Reading up on 'Found Object', I think being too artful or too expressive is not the way you should go.

I think the correct answer to "Why this...?" and "Why that...?" is "Why not?" or "It's self-explanatory..."

I remember going in an art exhibit once; I found my self staring at a napkin nailed to the wall with painted red bits in it, entitled Period. Bringing this topic up, it make sense to me now.
:iconhananoyosuke:
hananoyosuke Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Ok, first of all, your professor sounds like a bit of an ass BUT I can understand where he's coming from, kind of. I have a BFA, and I've been in a few studio classes in which one student would ask so many questions that it just felt like a waste of time for the rest of us...perhaps you could try asking outside of class, maybe after class if he has time...or he should have office hours where you can go meet with him one on one.

From what you've described, your ideas are far too literal. The ferris wheel sounds like it has too much stuff going on, and the theme seems really superficial (i.e. you can't decide on a specific emotion, and you represent the emotions with very plain examples). Also, it doesn't really seem to fit the requirement of "found object"..I assume you'd buy all the parts yourself to make it with? The bicycle wheel would involve text, no? When I took 3D design, text was hugely frowned upon, because we were supposed to make something that would literally speak for itself. I'm not sure if your prof is like that or not. I mean, text has been used in contemporary art, but it's still something that a lot of professors seem intolerant of.

It does seem weird that he likes your classmates project ideas, though :/ The two you mentioned don't sound very inspiring. I think what you need to do is focus your idea more...think of ONE emotion or ONE experience, or ONE thing that you really feel strongly about, and then build your idea around that. Good luck. (3D design was one of my least favourite classes, hah. But you can do it!)
:icontygry:
Tygry Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
I really don't see anything wrong on your part. You went looking for suggestions, tried other ideas when he dismissed yours (without offering any sort of guidance apparently) and tried to make something work as a last resort. It bothers me if he actually told you not to bother him with questions. I had a professor like that in grad school-- abrasive prick. He used and amended as he saw fit, a text on using mathematical breakdowns to determine English syntax. A cool concept but since this was the only text of its kind and he thought it was inferior, it's not like I could go to Google to fill in the blanks. I actually ended up being diagnosed with a nerve rash I was so stressed out trying to please him.

You can make one more attempt if you want-- remind him that you've made steps to meet expectations but in not meeting those expectations, you feel you're not getting enough feedback to succeed in class. Apologize if you've said something to upset him (just to play to the ego) and remind him that you're not looking for hand-holding but that you genuinely did not grasp what was acceptable to meet the rubric for this assignment. If he blows you off again, he really does have no defense when you go over his head. If possible, have some documentation printed up to show if you happen to remember the dates and other incidents, including follow-ups. These are a must for any teacher building a case against a problem student and I see no reason why a student shouldn't have them in the case of an apathetic professor.
:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
It sounds like he's an idiot.

The key to dealing with people like this is: what they want is nonsense, so feed them that nonsense.

He doesn't like your authentic ideas. So, come up with a lot of nonsense ideas that seem like his sort of thing. Chances are he'll like one of them. Then run with that. It's distasteful, but sometimes you have to be artificial to get by in a class.

:icongrossplz:
:iconnoctuskerobian:
NoctusKerobian Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Mate, if he is allowing someone to skirt the rules, then he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Go to the admins and report him. Tell them what you've put on here, show them the ideas you've had, and ask what can be done about it. It seems this professor has singled you out as his "bad kid", and that's a hard position to be in.

You can get out of it if you go over his head, though. The way he is treating you is dead wrong, and the administration will crack down HARD on him if they hear about this.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
I'm a blunt instrument of mass destruction. I would have been in the administration office making sure my displeasure with the teacher's attitude was understood and that I was expecting changes in the very near future.

The teacher is lazy, you're paying for classes, not for bullshit.

Hang in there.
:iconshadowtoon:
shadowtoon Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Thanks. I'm thinking of going to the admin office tomorrow and see if I can't do anything about this. I really would like to quit the class but then my financial aid would be screwed. I hate having to go to his class and every time him saying that my ideas need work or doesn't work at all.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
I think it's worth your time. Just put it to them you're having an incredibly hard time with a teacher's suck ass attitude and constant negative bullshit. Instruction shouldn't include disdain from the teacher.
Add a Comment: