Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

My hair and my parents

:iconme864:
Me864 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I got this liberal haircut (mohawk w/o spiking it) three months ago. I love the hairstyle. (As a bonus I am able to give myself haircuts.) My parents hate it. They think it is not the right haircut for me and gives the public a wrong image of me. They are making me cut it off. I'd be very disappointed if I lose it.
I really think that the freedom to choose any kind of hairstyle for yourself belongs to everyone. Have you had similar issues? How did you guys convince your parents to let you do what you want with yourself? Thank you so much!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
"Liberal haircut"  :confused:

It does sort of baffle me that your parents would be getting worried over what sounds more like a faux-hawk or shaved back/sides kind of cut, which is not all that weird or uncommon and is pretty easy to cover, pull back, or style if unsuited to a job or formal event.  If their concern is whether you can get a job, I would suggest framing it like that.  If it's that people will judge you negatively, remind them of your good behavior, etc.  If they still won't allow it, there's really no option but to get rid of it.

Personally, when I was your age, I didn't ask for permission to dye my hair, I just did it.  I knew that I would get funny looks and didn't really care (partly because my clothing drew funny looks anyway).  I also knew that I could easily cover it at my job.  I did get yelled at for dying my hair before high school graduation, but in retrospect it was a big public event and I gave no warning.  Generally, though, my parents' attitude was that as long as I maintained good grades and stayed out of trouble, I could do what I liked with my body (as long as it was legal, obviously).
:iconlorien077:
Lorien077 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
Eh its just hair, the real question here is how strongly do you feel about it and are you willing to fight over it? Gotta pick your battles, ya know?
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
You're a guy, I don't see what the big deal is. In high school, a lot of the guys would shave their heads into mohawks when they won a big game (I couldn't tell you why though lol). It's not like it's purely associated with this punk-ass druggy culture, especially if you don't dress like an obnoxious emo/scene/whatever the hell kid. However, if your hair is any longer than a centimeter and you're not spiking it, I think it usually looks worse than just a straight-up shaved head, but that's my opinion. I'm also making huge assumptions since I have absolutely no idea what you look like :shrug:
Me864 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been weary of trying to spike it. I think I should try it :P
Crazy guys you have at your high school LOL

I was kind of inspired by Chris #2 of Anti-Flag. He used to have a fauxhawk kind of cut that wasn't spiked upwards. [link]
There are cool images here of deathhawks. [link] [link]
My hair is still in the experimental stages, so I'll be trying to find variations that I can do.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Hm, yeah... I'm not really a fan of those types of mohawks so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I do enjoy a good, tall spiked mohawk on the right guy (or girl!) if they can REALLY pull it off.
People... to clarify I did not mean liberal as in politics but in ideas.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
So... they think shaving your head (the result of cutting off a mohawk) is preferable to a mohawk? A hairstyle that's been seen in youth for at least 40 years? There's even such a THING as a "liberal" haircut?

Go figure.
I'm trying to figure out what you just said. My parents are standing in their position not because it is old, but because it is not commonly seen.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
A real mohawk consists of hair left growing in the center of the scalp only in a strip running from front to back, the rest being shaved clean. If you cut a mohawk off, you're left with a wholly shaved head.

If you instead have some kind of faux-hawk, sounds to me like they're making a whole lot of noise over very little.

Haircuts are not "liberal". What a silly idea.
:icongenerallulz:
GeNeRaLLuLz Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
Mohawks are overrated
:iconsarlaz:
sarlaz Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student General Artist
Erm... why is there so many people saying its the parents house its thier rules? So what if its thier house?! Its your body! I personally would never get a haircut like that but I think its my right to be able to do what I want w/ my body even if I live in the care of some one else. (True I might not be allowed back in the house if i did that but...)
Thanks.
Looking it from another angle, relating it to art, we always receive heavy criticism. Sometimes you have to know that what you want to make is what you should make.
:icongrishhak:
Grishhak Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
... Well, at least they haven't throwm you out jet, have they? ;)

To tell the truth, your parents do have a point: You will be judged by your haircut. My brother had dreads that were very well taken care of and people changed their seats at the bus to not sit next to him. He also went into politics and everyone put him down as something he absolutely isn't. He could cope. He wanted that and it helped him being remembered. My parents allowed it, even though my mother hated it. My unkle didn't recognize him.... :D

I don't have a "special" haircut. As a child, My hair was hip-long, straight and nearly white. I LOVED that. My mother hated that. Till I cut my hair. I was 12, and my hair wasn't "liberal" at all. We went through fights because of it. We still do, everytime it reaches my shoulders. I regrett loosing my hair because I loved the feel of long hair in the wind, and running my fingers through it or braiding it. I won't grow it back because reaching that length takes to much time and short hair is pretty easy to take care of if you don't care how it looks....

Still, I had a lot of problems with my mother because of her hair.

Now, my mother's hair as a child was long, golden, and had flowing curves. You could do Rapunzel with such hair. HER mother wanted it to be long. She hated it. The moment she got the chance she cut it to ear-lenght. She and her mother had fights over it...

My grandmother's hair was a rich dark mane, untill her mother cut it of. Well, I think you get the picture. ;-)

What I'm trying to say: A lot of people get into trouble with their parents about their hair. You won't change your parents oppinion, so you have to learn to live with it. If you can stand your parents hating your hair, then why cut it of? If you can't stand it you should reconsider what is more important to you. ;-)

PS: most parents do have a reason for what they do, and it seldom is that they want to torture their child, so forgive them if they don't like your hair ;-)
Everyone has different preferences, yes. Thanks for the story; I'll have to be open to other people's styles too.
My parents are generally nice, so I really hate to be arguing. But sometimes their "being nice" is taken too far.
It's true that I have more important things in life that I can do. I could just cut it off and forget it, but what a sad ending that will be. Then again I might laugh it about it someday in the future. (or grow it back) For now I'm going to keep it.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Until you are out of your parents house, you've got to deal with their rules.
That is true I could wait and get it back again.
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Just tell them its your hair and don't cut it.
Wow. I could have never thought of that.
:iconfreakylaurent:
FreakyLaurent Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
See . . .

If ur living under this very roof of theirs and lastly
why go w/ the fad ?
It isn't a fad, at least not where I live.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Digital Artist
Freedom is something that belongs to people that don't live with their parents; get a job, move out, support yourself, then you can be as free as you want.
You got a good point. It makes sense, however they aren't completely devoid of rights. It's a question of whether or not hairstyle is one of those rights.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Digital Artist
You can do whatever you want when you support yourself.
:iconlkxxki:
lKxxki Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Tell them

DEAL WITH IT :icondealwithitplz:
lol nice plz account :) (Also your avatar fits well with your comment)
:iconlkxxki:
lKxxki Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm too good, i know xD
:iconyumi-misaki:
Yumi-Misaki Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
get rid of it and suck it up
I could do that, yeah. In fact it might be worth it to do that.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I see you Jake. :trollface:
:iconallieoriley:
AllieORiley Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
I wouldn't allow my daughter to get a faddish, punk style haircut just to fit in with the crowd or be different, I don't know which. In the end she was happy she didn't because she met a nice young man that treats her right and they have been dating for several months. Score one for mom!
Nice :) Maybe your daughter got her haircut because she thought it fit her better. That was one of my reasons.
In terms of the social side, I don't think her friends would have changed at all just by a haircut. At least for me I living the same boring life that I did a year ago.
AllieORiley Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Your friends wouldn't change just by a haircut. Friends like you for who you are, not what you look like.
Flagged as Spam
AllieORiley Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
And what was your mother's reaction when you came out to her? Not all parents are so supportive of their children. I'm sure you have found that out by reading the forums here.
:icondetective-inspector:
Detective-Inspector Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Their household= their rules

Once you move out its your decision.

That's how I learned.(coming from a household that hated guns and would allow me to get one)
Good point. Parents have control over some rights, for good reasons such as gun safety.
Detective-Inspector Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Indeed, they completely trusted me with a gun. They just didn't approve of it, that was the house rules and I understood why.(problem is I didn't feel as safe without one in the house since we lived in a bad part of town)
Detective-Inspector Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Wouldn't*
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student General Artist
Liberal haircut? Aww man when you call it that it sounds so lame :crying:
Anyway, well if you're 18 or older, they really can't do much but suck it up.
I wanna dye it blue but I'm a bit hesitant :P
By liberal I meant that it was different from what everyone else has, not politically.
I can't tell you my age, but I pretty much have to act as an adult older than 18 years old right now. That I think should be justification to let me have the rights I deserve.
As for your blue hair, if not a lot of people in your area has blue hair, get it. If blue hair is common, get something that gives you an unique identity. Just my tip.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student General Artist
Well I don't think blue is common anywhere :lol: I'll dye it blue regardless. Tell your parents there's nothing wrong with a mohawk. In fact, there's a guy working in NASA with a mohawk. [link]

However, really THINK if this style will look good on you. Freshman year of high school I had a mohawk and instantly regretted it :p
So far I'm completely satisfied, but I'll see as time passes.
I liked your link to the article because I have an interest in space exploration. :)
Add a Comment: