Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Being a Disabled Artist

:iconvernfeathers:
VernFeathers Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hello, I'm Vernfeathers and I am a disabled artist. I suffer from illness' known as Dysautonomia and Raynauds. I also suffer from chronic depression. I wanted to know if there were any other artists out there who are disabled. I would like to talk to you and maybe we can help each other out. I have been having a hard time and recently have considered giving up art because it has become so painful. If there is anyone out there who can help me out. Then please let me know.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Flagged as Spam
:iconchickengrandma:
chickengrandma Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
Only one extra nipple? How quaint.
:iconbladenx:
BladenX Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
Might be faster to ask who's NOT messed up.
We are artists after all.

Just keep on keepin' on.
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
i feel for u bro, im 100% service connected disabled with schizoaffective disorder.
:iconeuphoriarcane:
euphoriarcane Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am sorry to hear about your illness!
I don't know if you've heard of Liu Wie or Kun Shan Xie , but I find them to be amazing artists who don't let their limitations get in their way.
Please don't give up if art is what you love! :hug:
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Don't give up on art, just do it slower and over longer periods of time.
Or get Oompa Loompas and yell at them to make you art:bucktooth:
VernFeathers Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Okay, the Oompa Loompa idea is freaking hilarious!:rofl:

Any way, thank you. :nod::XD:
:iconmaritse:
Maritse Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh my God, I am so sorry to hear about your illness! I don't know what I would do, if it was me. I know I wouldn't feel worth, if I was no longer able to draw or paint. I'm sorry that I can't help you out, but you got my respect. I really hope things will get better for you and so you can continue to do art.
:iconreinahw:
ReinaHW Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013   Writer
Disabled as well, a learning disability and a physical one - extremely poor hand eye coordination which requires me to use constant effort and to endure constant pain in order to get my hands to work well.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a disabled artist as well, suffer from mental illness and other conditions. It's always good to know you're not alone.
VernFeathers Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes, it is good to know there are people who may understand. :nod:
:iconlaurynmichella:
LaurynMichella Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Hello Vernfeathers:)

I am sorry for your struggles. I feel that I am struggling myself. I have conginital nystagums. Nystagmus is basically a neurological disease that causes the eyes to shake rapidly back and fourth. I also have common side effects of the disease which are color blindness, very poor vision(I am legally blind in my right eye) and poor nerves. I have always seen myself as entirely normal until I reached the age of sixteen in which I got a job and had to start being more independent. I am very stubborn and prideful and I can be very stupid because of it. I use a cane for the blind when necesarry and I cannot drive. I am very awkward lookng and I look and move with different way. partially because of my vision and partially because I'm just awkward:) Upon first meeting me, some assume I am mentally delayed, that is, until I open my mouth and they see I can speak and act normally despite my outward appearance and actions. It's frusterating and humiliating sometimes to be seen this way and I feel powerless to stop it.
Drawing is both an escape and something I want to pursue. I want to someday work in the animation field, if this never happens, I would love to travel or do stage or theater work involving production. I've always felt limitless through art. Nothing anyone has said or done has ever discouraged me.(I've had both incredible encouragement and doubtful discouragement.)I know I have much to learn, but I love learning it. I will never be the greatest, but I strive to be pretty darned close.
So, enough about me. I don't believe you should give up art. That is, if you feel you love it. Why has it become so painful? Is it your life that is painful and art doesn't seem to ease the pain anymore? I think you are very good(Haha, compliment from the blind girl:)) So I urge you to ask yourself if you feel it is worth pursuing. The wonderful thing about art is that you do not have to become a professional to be an artist. You can drop it for a while, and when inspiration so strikes, pick up your pencil or tablet and create!
I wish you the very best! I say, keep drawing!!!
:iconfantasy-flower:
fantasy-flower Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013   General Artist
Although I'm not disabled...there are times when I feel weak. And during those times of weakness....writing and art help me get back on my feet :)
:iconflamedeleon:
FlameDeLeon Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Hey! Please don't give up your art! You're too good for that, and you have to be strong. Just like some others are saying, use your art to express how you feel. Let it be your speaker. I'm not disabled myself, but I hate to sit around and keep quiet when people try to give up on something they have a passion or a gift for. Don't let that go to waste, there are too many people in the world right now who are sorry for what they didn't do. Even though you might feel sometimes that you can't go on, you always have to remind yourself that things can get better - but not if you walk away too soon. Usually, it's going to get ugly before it gets pretty, don't let that discourage you. Whenever I'm dealing with a time that is very trying, I just repeat to myself, "It's almost over. Tomorrow is coming. It will pass."

Seriously, I cannot let a fellow artist fall away from creating. Draw your heart out! <3
:iconmeggierenee:
meggierenee Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional General Artist
Hi there! I'm an artist with schizoaffective disorder. I channel all the emotions I feel about my illness into my art. It has been a form of therapy for me for many years. Can you express what you are feeling in your art? Not only that, but I feel art has given me a way to educate people on what it's really like to have a serious mental illness. You should use your art to tell the world what you experience. Your art is really cool by the way. You should never give up! I truly believe that when there's a will there's a way!
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Writer
Raynauds isn't too bad, I have that too. It isn't disabling to me but it's a nuisance. :shrug: I have a few other conditions, but I don't really find them all disabling to me because well they don't interfer with life that much or badly for me. But I guess I would be considered a disabled writer.

Other than that, I'm so sorry you have those conditions. Dysauntomia and chronic depressions seems to be really terrible. I'm so sorry. I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to! hug:
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I don't know about being disabled, but never give up! Your artwork's fantastic! Keep reaching your dreams!
:iconnovastrike:
novastrike Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Hey, Vern. If we count mental illness we can add anxiety and depression...

I'm legally blind in my right eye, ever since I was a baby, and suffer glaucoma. While not as severe as others, yes!~ I too am a disabled artist. It's hard some days, especially when things seem bad, but you can do it~! I believe in you.
:iconwolfhearts:
WolfHearts Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   General Artist
I am.
I have a bone disease which I can't name, especially my joints are endangered. My Joints rub off If I'll do to much. Like in my right wrist - my drawing hand. There is one bone who is now 0,5 cm too small. If I don't get a sugery soon I won't be able in a few years to draw.
It's also really painful to draw for me too. But I won't give up drawing, its my passion, it makes me happy. :/
I've also a chronic depression too - But this is the smallest thing I've to deal with if it comes to Art, its also something I won't really talk about.
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hey there, I'm not disabled myself but don't give up! Keep doing what you enjoy!
I will. Art is really my only form of therapy. :) :hug:
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Then there is no reason ever to stop what your doing. It doesn't matter if your art looks terrible (which it doesn't by the way!), so long as you enjoy it along the way nothing should ever stop you ! :hug:
:iconwallachianbard:
WallachianBard Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Well i cannot call myself disabled,even tho most people i even met consider me mentally disabled (glares at school colleagues),but i will do anything i can to help you!
No don't give up on art!That's the worst thing you could give up on,second only to life.
Instead of giving up on art due to your conditions,why not let them fuel your creativity?
Fell pain?Express it trough art!Many great artists suffered physically and psyhologically.
No...you came pretty far as an artist.Now is not the time to give up but instead to continue.
Thank you. :hug::D
Add a Comment: