Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 76

GEDs and the stigma around them?

:iconmegstiel:
megstiel Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Student General Artist
Ok, so as soon as I turn 16 (in about 2 months) I'd like to get my GED and then start taking classes at the college here, and as soon as I'm 18, transfer to another college far far away from here.

I'm kind of unsure about everything, I'm currently being home schooled so dropping out wouldn't really be an issue, I guess I'm more concerned about whether or not colleges would take my GED as opposed to a high school diploma as me being lazy, because I'd still really like to go to a better college.

I also haven't figured out what college this is, but if anyone has any suggestions as to colleges that accepted you with your GED that would be great.

Also, has anyone else done something similar? I'm kind of going into this blind, and I'm going to go talk to the people at the admissions office soon, but if anyone has any valuable input I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, it's late here.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjonas-lightfoot:
Jonas-Lightfoot Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
Don't worry about it, especially if you take a college entrance exam like the ACT/SAT or placement exams. I remember that my highschool refused to give me my diploma, but I scored well on the ACT and the college I go to now let me in. I got my Bachelor's this past year but still don't have a GRE or diploma. :)
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I would think that the initiative displayed in getting your GED at 16 would be a plus, not a minus. It's not like you dropped out because you were lazy/wanted to sell drugs, had a kid, and then got your GED at 22 because you want to become a dental receptionist.
:iconshellbelle92:
ShellBelle92 Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
People do generally jump to conclusions about GED's because most of the time, dropouts are the ones who earn them. BUT, homeschooling is a different deal, so you should be fine. Just mention that you were homeschooled in your college essays (I did them 3 years ago, I forget exactly what they're called lol)
:iconkrylanna:
Krylanna Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
Not sure how it works for homeschooled students, but look into taking IB or AP courses. They are for college credit equivalency, even cheaper than community college courses if you pass the first time, and you can start taking them this year. I started off university with about 3 quarters of my core complete and was able to finish up the rest at night school during the summers after I graduated high school. I got my degree in 5 regular semesters, but could have finished in 4 if I were more focused. It ended up about the same as if I'd gone straight to college at 16.

There was also a program my brother did called "Success" (Texas) that allowed him to graduate early. You might look into having your parents work with the local school district to see what options are available to you that do not involve the GED testing, since you're probably not doing traditional courses and credits anyway.
megstiel Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student General Artist
I would probably have to be enrolled in a public high school to do that though, right?

I'll see if there is anything like that in my state, do you know if it was offered through his school or if he found it somewhere else?...
Krylanna Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
He was enrolled in public school for that program.

I was curious, so I looked up a bit of information on home schooling. Apparently there is no set standard for when you can get your diploma. In most states, your parents issue it when they feel like it, period, end of story. If you're not trying to bypass them to get away from home before they're ready to let you go (which you'd need their permission anyway to take the GED as a minor), you would probably benefit from working with them on this. They can help you dual enroll in community college, or take some college placement tests to attach to your diploma when applying to university as proof you have legitimately finished school early.
megstiel Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, my dad fully supports me with this so we're going to go to the admissions office next Monday and see what I would need to do because of my age to get accepted.
Krylanna Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Glad to hear it! :) Good luck with everything.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
GEDS just look and sound bad. I never really understood the rush of dropping out, especially so close to graduating anyways. Why give yourself more obstacles later in life? What's the hurry? I wish I could go back in time and enjoy how lax high school was.
megstiel Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student General Artist
I just want to get ahead of things a little bit. :shrug:

What kind of obstacles do you think it would cause later on in life?
Add a Comment: