That's Not Me

For the last year I've been going to a Lutheran Church and called myself a Christian. I only went there because an old girlfriend of mine told me I had to become a Christian. So I tried it, and enjoyed going to church. But I don't think I ever really believed in the faith. I said I did, joined the Church but I always had doubts. I feel like a hypocrite due to this last year and feel like a bad person. Am I?
Comments160
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
ps most people will say they are christian and will go to the church but they dont realy care its just interanment

i am just like you i do not realy even care to much if there is god i go to a church i am not a meber but i am the show up half the time and big help type person most every one knows i go to church to help out and being intertaned is basicly how they pay me

if you like going to church go to church if you dont belive then make it clear just dont be disrespect full and in the way christiany is one of the most leniant religon there is so it most likey wont matter if you truely belive

ps i have 2 people at the church i go to and they are athist
so just dont worry if you want to go to church do so just dont disrespect the church

if you tell them i dont realy belive in god they will slam you with the gosip if they do that ingnore them and just nod your head
If you end up not believing, then really you don't have anything to worry about...other than if and when you decide to tell other people.
I was born and raised to be a Christian but lost my faith somewhere around junior high or early high school, and so far my mom knows (and despises it) but my father accepts it completely (even if he thinks that maybe one day I'll change my mind, he's not pushing it).

That aside, you're not a bad person. It's normal, even for those who are dedicated.
Maybe you feel that way because the Lutheran Church is wack.

I'm Christian but I ain't level with the beliefs of the Lutherans. mind you I have a few Lutheran friends.

It sounds like you were investigating and you found it's not for you. that's fine. I did lots of investigation of different religions (some not even christian) before I came to a conclusion.

Bottom line is, you can't become a christian unless God works in you, and calls you to. He sometimes uses people to do so, but, more often, people are willful and just do things according to their own desire (i.e. they don't listen to God).

my advice is simply to be open to God. the most important thing in life is love, and he's the source of that good thing. there is nothing else that matters.
well I was Evangelical Lutheran (not Missouri-Synod)

Well I just cant claim to know if there is a God
This is life. We have to try and sometimes we fail. It's normal to test ourselves. It's normal to have doubts. You want to try to fit in. You want to taste the joy the other believers seems to experience. You want to understand. But, faith doesn't come from the brain, it comes from the heart. You're not a bad person. You just had to try... and fail to learn. You've learned about yourself and it's a great thing. Knowing what you know now, it's time to accept that you're not the Christian you were aiming to be. You don't need a label to be good, to do the right things. Religions help some people, but others don't need a shepherd; they can walk all alone in the right path.
You are not a bad person. Christianity is not for everyone. If you feel it's not good for you,stop.
No problem!! :)

But seriously. If it's not right for you, stop.
Only if you want to though!!
well Im done with it
Do you want to be done with it?
View all replies
Being hypocrite doesn't make you a bad person.
You tried it, didn't believe in it and now you just need to move on. Simple stuff.
I shouldnt feel so bad then?
Why? You haven't hurt anyone, you don't have a reason to feel bad.
I feel like I let down those in my Church and my Christian friends, not because Im not Christian (hell, they wouldn't mind that), but because I used to me and left.
Did any of your friends expressed disappointment over you leaving?
yes, my devout Catholic friend said he was disappointed and my Orthodox Christian friend said he can't agree with my choice
And by doing so they make you feel bad, which reinforces you feeling like shit.
Typical church tactics.

I say you should move on and stop paying that much attention to religion.
View all replies