Closed to new replies
February 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

organize what?!

:iconcarro7y:
carro7y Feb 3, 2013  Student Artisan Crafter
I really want to develop my fine art skills but I find it really hard! I would like to start drawing in a way that it just flows out of my hand, no matter if I do mistakes and it doesn`t seem to be quite the way I want it to be.. I feel really stagnant and it`s killing me.. I think that it`s because I`m studying on my own and I don`t know how to organize my studies in a way that I`ll be improving step-by-step without collecting tons of unfinished drawings because I did the perspective for example but I couldn`t have put the shades properly and just left it there...
If you know any good and detailed drawing and painting manuals it would be of great help. If there`s anyone who would be kind enough to talk with me about this and other things connected with being an artist and to eventually give me some advice or moral support it will be of even greater help. Thanks and cheers :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanimegirlmika:
AnimeGirlMika Feb 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
I think the first thing you should try to do is not worry about mistakes. You'll never progress if you can't accept that you will not get everything right the first time :) I'm serious, I'm not trying to goad you or be contrary but my own experience has taught me that's the key. For instance, right now I'm working on a contest entry so I want to get it just right. Instead of trying to draw it perfectly the first time, I have already used over a dozen sketchbook pages to work out all the different areas such as proportion, composition, perspective, etc. Things are so much easier if you allow yourself to make a mistake, realize it, then start a new piece to try and get it right this time. Yes, with this method, you'll end up with lots of unfinished drawings but you'll also end up with complete works that are much better than if you hadn't let yourself try again :D
:iconcarro7y:
carro7y Feb 6, 2013  Student Artisan Crafter
Thanks! I`m not too keen to redraw from books but I meant some manual... or I just don`t know. My problem is that I`m too unorganized and just drawing random things doesn`t work too well for me.. I probably need to feel some guidance.. even if it`s just a support it will be enough to gather myself :D Thank you again..
:iconhananoyosuke:
Life is probably the best "drawing manual" ;) Being able to draw from photos is a skill. But drawing what you see in front of you is better. It doesn't matter what you draw (in my university we drew a pile of cardboard boxes one day). It helps if you have a spotlight or two...that way you can see what happens to the shades when you move the lights. Try drawing from life and set a timer for a few minutes. Don't worry about the mistakes. Just think "I have to draw this before time is up." You should see your work become more free and expressive this way.

If you still want a good book...try going to a used book shop and looking for old art textbooks.
Add a Comment: