Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Worried About my Sister..

:iconmonicagrace27:
monicagrace27 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well... I guess I really dont know who to go to about this. My sister is 19 and she is dating a 34 year old man. They have been together for nearly a year. From the outside, their relationship seems very rocky, yet she claims it is good for the most part. Yet, I get a call nearly once a week from her when she is upset with him or arguing with him. Usually it is him telling her that if she does a certain thing, then he will do something back 10x worse. He seems controlling and manipulative and I dont know what to do.. I asked recently if he was abusive and she denied it, but I not so sure... I just dont know how to help her. Any advice? I'm sorry for the long message.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Unfortunately, you can't make somebody see something they don't want to.

You should probably make your concern known, but you can't force her to do anything.
:iconxpaintthestarsx:
XPaintTheStarsX Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Old saying that opposites attract. This could be one of them!
Completely different people that will end up working fine.
Keep close though. She might need you when you least expect it. :)
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Dunno. But here's a song that came to mind about this: [link]
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist
:(
It's hard when you want to look out for your siblings and they're, well, being siblings.

Just always be there for her and be understanding. Whenever she has a realization, you'll be ready to help out (and be careful not to say "I told you so"). :pat:
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
it's very popular these days that younger date older. I think that she actually tries to tell you that obviously there is a problem, but she doesn't want any criticism so when you suspect something, she takes a step back, denies everything. OR, it could be just that she wants someone to listen to her complaints every time they fight or disagree or whatever, and you are her sister. Have you tried speaking to her? calmly, without any criticism, so she understands that you are on her side.
:icondanceandmakeromance:
DanceAndMakeRomance Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
I empathize with your concern but as previously stated, she is an adult. You can only do so much.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Talk to someone who's got closer access to her and whom you trust?
:iconallura-darkelf:
Allura-Darkelf Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, technically she is an adult, and can make her own decisions, but have you told your parents about your suspicions? She may be too terrified to admit that he's abusing her, or may even be blaming herself for it. Unfortunately, most police departments won't respond based on suspicion alone. Usually, there has to be physical evidence, otherwise it's he said/she said, and the complaint usually has to come from the victim. I'm not sure about some departments, but this is a general protocol. You could try calling you're local women's shelter to see what they recommend.
Add a Comment: