Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Rat lovers! i need your advice.

:iconthatmanekineko:
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i got a pet rat a few weeks before christmas and i was wondering if it would be ok to get him a friend even though hes been an only child since i bought him? would they fight forever or jsut at first or is it not a good idea at all?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsirloth:
sirloth Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Check out fancy rats forum for good info.

Rats -need- companionship. Your rat is likely being cold because s/he's lonely. Look up the carrier method for a really good way to introduce rats.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
thank you
:iconanaignoswal:
AnaigNoswal Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
Typically, rats crave companions. However, it's usually the wiser to get them one as long as both are female.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
ok thank you :)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Maybe.

I'd suggest starting out with the new one in a smaller cage so they can sniff through the bars and stuff, then introduce them for supervised play, if they are OK then let them stay together longer.

Rats are pretty social, so they probably will get along. You just need to give them time to get used to eachother.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
thank you :)
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
You NEED to get him a friend. It's not optional. But make sure you have enough space, they're not hamsters.
:iconeuterpe-the-egret:
Euterpe-The-Egret Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
They have had multiple rats and are only now getting one a partner. I feel bad for this person's pets.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
>_< Geez o' pete, this is like Rat 101.

It's pretty obvious how lonely they get. I also have a sinking feeling that this rat is living in a small aquarium. I just.. have that feeling.
:iconsadistskunk:
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I agree.. I can't believe that some people keep them alone and genuinely think that they're happy. =/
A human just can't replace the company of other rats..

My rats clearly loved being around each other. When four of them died and only one was left, she was very lonely and unhappy..
I tried to find her a new home as soon as the others died, but she got a tumour and I had to put her down instead.
Add a Comment: