Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Rat lovers! i need your advice.

:iconthatmanekineko:
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i got a pet rat a few weeks before christmas and i was wondering if it would be ok to get him a friend even though hes been an only child since i bought him? would they fight forever or jsut at first or is it not a good idea at all?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsirloth:
sirloth Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Check out fancy rats forum for good info.

Rats -need- companionship. Your rat is likely being cold because s/he's lonely. Look up the carrier method for a really good way to introduce rats.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
thank you
:iconanaignoswal:
AnaigNoswal Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
Typically, rats crave companions. However, it's usually the wiser to get them one as long as both are female.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
ok thank you :)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Maybe.

I'd suggest starting out with the new one in a smaller cage so they can sniff through the bars and stuff, then introduce them for supervised play, if they are OK then let them stay together longer.

Rats are pretty social, so they probably will get along. You just need to give them time to get used to eachother.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
thank you :)
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
You NEED to get him a friend. It's not optional. But make sure you have enough space, they're not hamsters.
:iconeuterpe-the-egret:
Euterpe-The-Egret Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
They have had multiple rats and are only now getting one a partner. I feel bad for this person's pets.
>_< Geez o' pete, this is like Rat 101.

It's pretty obvious how lonely they get. I also have a sinking feeling that this rat is living in a small aquarium. I just.. have that feeling.
:iconsadistskunk:
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I agree.. I can't believe that some people keep them alone and genuinely think that they're happy. =/
A human just can't replace the company of other rats..

My rats clearly loved being around each other. When four of them died and only one was left, she was very lonely and unhappy..
I tried to find her a new home as soon as the others died, but she got a tumour and I had to put her down instead.
I said as much but then got blocked because I wasn't being nice and pointed out that this person doesn't know much about rats.

I have the same feeling about the aquarium.
I'm careful with these threads because I feel like the main thing is to help the rat going forward. Making the person feel bad doesn't go back in time and help the animal, and I think that being nice is the best chance of getting the basic concept into the person's head.

But shit, I do more research than this person did when I buy a pair of shoes.
You have a good point. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Amen to your research. I seriously can't buy anything, living or otherwise, that I want to have around for awhile without doing research. i really want a greyhound one day and already I'm reading books on their behavior, diet, etc. I can't understand how people can just buy things on a whim.
Greyhounds are the best because you have an excuse to dress them up!

(I've got an Italian greyhound. They have a bit different personalities from the full-size version).
I liked how they looked at first (hey, I was in high school) then I started reading up on them and have really loved their personality and traits. 6 years later I'm still planing on having one... just when I can have time to walk them and room for them to live and other important factors that aren't happening when I'm working, in college and in an attic apartment. LOL

How long have you had your Italian greyhound?
(2 Replies)
ok thank you.
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Google 'rat forum'.
Find one with lots of serious breeders.

Ask them. LISTEN to them.
Do not get insulted when they tell you you do things wrong, just listen.
Didn't you just write a thread about this?
Not too long ago, yeah. Some girl with a dog inspired it.

I can't for the life of me understand these people.
How can you claim to know lots about rats, if you don't know the most basic things? And why would you search for info here? It just makes no sense.
I was wondering the exact same questions. Just because you have had pets in the past doesn't mean you know how to properly care for them.
We had guinea pigs, when I was a kid. Mum had the overall responsibility, obviously.

When I was about 23, I decided to get g-pigs again. I had forgotten so much. I got really into a few forum and learned what I needed to.
Just seems right.
:salute:
Seriously though, it's the only really clever thing to do.

With the smaller pets like rats, guinea pigs, and so on, the specific forums often have more collected knowledge than many vets, and most certainly than any pet store.

Serious breeders tend to sound snobby, but they know their stuff. It doesn't take much lurking to see which forum members everyone listens to.
thank you.
:iconchelliusbee:
Chelliusbee Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
It's better to get him a friend as rats are sociable creatures. I wouldn't advise you put them straight together however. Keep them in separate cages side by side for a week first, exchange bedding between the two cages so that they can smell each other and then introduce them in a neutral setting, i.e. an empty bath. See how they go. And make sure they're the same sex ^^
thank you
You should know more about animals before you buy them. :facepalm:
all i want to know is if it is ok to get him a friend after hes been so used to being alone for a while. i know plenty about rats thank you very much. i know they are sociable, i just wanna make sure my rat wont be too hostile because hes used to being alone. and i couldnt afford a second rat when i bought this one
If you "know plenty about rats" then this shouldn't even be a problem for you. You should already know what to do.

You obviously don't know what to do, though, so you obviously don't know enough about rats.
i wanted to make sure it was ok to do that since hes been alone, hes used to me being only his handler he has a very different personality from my old rats. hes not very affectionate even though i give him enough love. this rat is my baby, and i wanted to make sure it was ok to do this. thank you. you're advice is not needed anymore especially if you are going to criticize my knowledge about rats from the beginning.
Criticize your lack of knowledge even though you say you've had many rats (all alone, even though they are pack animals) and still seem to be completely ignorant on the subject?

Yeah.
im only looking for helpful replies. this isnt one of them.
Perhaps actually look in a forum for ANIMALS or even ones that specialize in RATS and you will find more help there.

Or you could go read up on them. :thumbsup: but oh wait, you already know soooo much because you've had a few (poor neglected things).
have a nice day sweetheart.

love, the rat owner who you know EVERYTHING about.

p.s. this forum is about people who needed HELP with life. my rat is part of my life. so come back when you want to be HELPFUL.
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Get a rat that's the same gender. They'll do fine together.
Rats need other rats. They'll fight a bit from time to time, but that's normal.
ok thank you
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
You're welcome. =)
:iconmorthax:
Morthax Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconfacepalmplz:
this doesnt help me. if you think its a stupid question, then dont pay attention to the thread, thank you.
I just can't figure out why people take pets when they don't know the first thing about them. >.>
i do know alot about rats, thank you very much. i have had many in my life, just one at a time. i dont know their behavior towards each other after they have been away from each other for a while is all. this is an honest question, im not an idiot so dont act like i am.
I have never owned a rat and jesus even I know that rats are pack animals and having two of the same gender is recommended. Just keep them in separate cages at first so they can see and smell each other but not attack to see how they get along. Again, I have never owned a rat. You have, numerous, and have to ask about such a basic thing. :roll:
im just making sure it is ok. thank you for the advice.
Add a Comment: