Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Girl getting the guy a ring?

:iconericad218:
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Photographer
I thought I'd give a bit of background information before I get a lot of "blah blah blah" messages from people about being stupid. My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year now. He's about a year and a half older than me. We often talk about the future so it's not as though I'd be shoving something uncomfortable down his throat by the thought.
In my mind it seems like such a great idea. I made us a set of rings to wear with a design on them to represent "infinity" and I planned to give him his tomorrow with a big I love you speech. As the hours pass by and tomorrow comes closer...it's just making me nervous.
I don't want to look stupid or something, so what are your thoughts on the girl giving the guy a ring?
It's not really a "promise" ring. When you say that people often think lots of things like a promise to get married or whatever, but to me that's shoving too much in someone's face O.o
Also he's 17 and I'm 16. I didn't really want to say that since it sounds young, but since people could think worse with the word "high school" figured I might as well get it out there.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheaatherea:
TheaAtherea Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013   General Artist
I gave my boyfriend a ring on our first anniversary. I am giving him another one on our second anniversary later this month. :) I don't think there is anything odd about it at all. It's a meaningful gift that he can wear to his office job. I personally prefer to get him geek gifts -- something that fits his personality, not just his finger. The triforce from Zelda is a running theme, in part because it's an elegant expression of his nerdy side, and because he loves the symbolism (power, courage, wisdom).
I love Zelda and found these really awesome rings for it:
[link]
I want them:P but my boyfriend(sadly) isn't very into Zelda:/
Thanks for your response:) and I hope he loves the second set you get him
:icontheaatherea:
TheaAtherea Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013   General Artist
Those are awesome. :D

The first ring I got him was actually one I found through dA -- [link]
He loves it, but the material has started to get rough and almost rusty on the inside. Something to do with acid levels in sweat. :( It's a lovely ring, but it's a little bulky and has some sharper edges on it.

Custom Tungsten is the store I got this most recent one from. They have a page for the ring here. I had it engraved with our initials on the inside. It's a lot more elegant and comfortable to wear, and the material won't have the same problems as the first. No clue what I'm going to do for year 3 though. :giggle: I don't think I can get much better than that.
I like them both a lot:)
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013   General Artist
There's not a gender problem. It doesn't matter who gives someone something and a lot of couples exchange trinkets and tokens.

I'd be careful of making too huge a deal out of it though. A ring has the cultural implication of staking a claim on someone or anticipation of long commitment and it's possible that he (and others) will see it as more heavyhanded a gesture than intended.

Don't refrain from making the gift... Just try not to be offended if he prefers to wear it on a chain instead of on his ring finger ;)
Alright:) thank you
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
It's a sweet gesture and the first posters of this thread have already said what I pretty much wanted to say :D

There's nothing wrong with wearing the same or similar accessories with your loved one. In fact, it might even be helpful for those people who don't have a clue and attempt to hit on you and you don't want them to.
We had a matching set at one point just something simple that he got at a craft fair or something, but mine was too large so I had to wear it on a chain around my neck. I'm pretty sure my niece and/or kitten stole it since I have to take it off to sleep._.
Part of the reason I wanted to make them in the first place, thought it would mean more if I did so than to just go out and get another set.
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
Aww :love: That's all the more thoughtful of you. :)
Considering he's not happy about the misplacement of the other o.O My theory is my sister, who is married and lives else where, will find it somewhere in her house. My two year old niece loves taking her aunts things and hiding them:)
Add a Comment: