Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Am I being too self-concious about this?

:iconkaronafalsegod:
karonafalsegod Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
So.. I'm going through this weird situation.

A friend of mine posted on facebook a picture of me (and other people) doing something I've done while drunk. Won't say exactly what but assume it's something completely opposite and strange to what I am and like to do.

The thing the picture is great and in very good taste (as in, it's not shameful in any way), but at the same time I'm having mixed feelings because I feel like I'm being misrepresented to all these people that see that image and think I am that person in it. I have had people coming to me IRL and commenting about it, wanting to get me drunk and stuff, it's really awkward and kind of irritating.

You might now be wondering what's the big deal, well I'm really self-concious about anything related to my image, especially since I'm not very social and don't get out very often. This makes it even worse since some people will know me because of that picture and get first impressions out of it.

So I was wondering if anyone ever got through something like that? I'm afraid that if I go talk to the person about it I'm just gonna make it sound like I hate the picture and as if I'm imposing it to the person to remove it or something like that.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
I think you're taking it a bit too seriously considering it obviously paints you in a positive light if it makes people want to do it again. That said, there's nothing wrong with asking for it to be taken down :shrug:
:iconpink-anthony:
pink-anthony Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Are you tagged in it and is it available for all to see (even if they're not friends)? If so, untag yourself. If it gives a less than respectable first impression of you, it could hurt your chances if you're looking for a job or something like that.

Though to be honest, if you really are uncomfortable, just untag yourself anyway.
:iconelise-lucy:
Elise-Lucy Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've experienced similar situation. A friend posted my private photo online after it was sent to him because he wanted to see it. When asked to remove it, he admitted that he doesn't know how to remove pics, so it stayed there 8D
My advice: don't take it all too seriously. No one is going to care in a month. Anyway, if they still care, it's always an opportunity to meet new people xD
:iconfooly-cooly:
FOOLY-COOLY Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student
I feel like you on one hand have a legit reason to be pissed. On the other hand it's a bit irrational and outsizedly paranoid of you to draw such pessimistic conclusions about this. The worst thing that seems to come from this is that people you don't even know see this supposedly 'false' image of how you're more social than you truly are. The consequences being that they think you're, le gasp, more fun to be around than is actually the case.

I think you could probably loosen up a little. The image is in good taste from a night when you were having some fun. You don't like to think that this image contradicts your more reserved 'image' but I think that's a pretty artificial barrier to put up.

It's a photo. Untag yourself and relax, or if it really bothers you, just tell your friend to please take it down-- if not immediately, ask them to take it down in a week or so. You cannot control every aspect of your image, and the image you preserve of yourself today is perhaps one that you'll regret in the future having put so much energy into keeping intact. You are a person who will change drastically throughout your life, maybe try not to be so controlling.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
People add pics of me to FB all the time (my mother is on FB... as is my mother-in-law. So, that goes without saying that pics of odd situations or baby pics happen :stare:).

For the most part, people tell me they are posting pictures of me. But I have it filtered so that I choose what I'm tagged in, I remove tags, or I hide things from my timeline. If it's something you just don't want about the internet, you should probably contact the person that posted it and ask politely for it to be removed :) If they don't... well, that blows, but at least make sure you're not tagged or mentioned.
:icondorkface4:
dorkface4 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
If you are uncomfortable then untag yourself or ask the person to take it down. If your friend is really your friend then they will respect your decision with no hard feelings.
:iconjesse1134:
jesse1134 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student General Artist
i stopped reading when you said someone posted a pic of you with out your knowledge if that happened to me i would respectfully ask them to remove the pic if not then sue them unless you don't got a problem with it then whats the problem
oh you should also look for cameras before getting drunk with people around then aging every thing has a camera so do what i do never get cow pie drunk just a nice buzz is fun then your the one taking the pics cuz your the only one not so drunk to use the camera
but that's me and your you. you should ask your self how does the pic make you feel then ask if you want it off the net or to let it go and have fun with the results
:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
All the time, I hate facebook, it's very uncomfortable. There are many things about the website and about having things displayed that give me an itchy weird feeling. If it stresses you out, ask the friend to remove the picture, end of story. Just say you feel uncomfortable with it.
:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Actually I just reread the last sentence of your post, but I'm going to re-iterate, don't be afraid, just tell them that it makes you feel uncomfortable. if necessary say that you feel like employers will get the wrong impression, I don't know. you have the right to decide your presence on the internet, IMO.
Add a Comment: