"Imaginary Friends"

I know I'll probably only be laughed at for this but please try to be nice. Alright so, here goes. I'm 14 and I love the anime, 'Hetalia'. I love everything about it and the characters are amazing. Here's the thing. I'm not sure if they're actually what you would call "imaginary friends" but in a way, I sorta see the characters but not like on my TV or computer. I'm homeschooled and the only people I talk to are my dA friends. When I get lonely or just feel like I'm having a bad day, I tend to talk to the Hetalia characters. Usually I talk to America, Canada and/or England since those are my top three favorite characters. Now, I don't actually talk out loud to them like it may sound. Since I'm very shy, I have conversations with them in my head and yes, a lot of the time, I can hear the actual character's voice talking to me in my head. Actually typing this, I feel like I've gone insane or something XD I do have anxity and depression, I'll admit and even though he's a fictional character, I say that America is my hero and I love him to death. I don't know if I'm just trying to make myself feel less lonely or if I've really lost it but if you ask me, this doesn't really bother me and I don't want to lose the ability to "talk" to them because it makes me so much happier but it's kinda confusing.
Comments69
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Everyone talks to themselves in their heads, or argue with themselves, or anything. That's natural. For some people it's easier to do so when they picture the other part of their thoughts to be someone else. I don't think that's unhealthy at all.
Well I don't really have that kind of problem but when I'm bored or lonely I usually make up stories in my head and put myself in different roles. Or then I just go to sleep because I usually see good dreams about these stories. Well I actually sleep because of my depression but why should I stay awake when I could see live in dream even for a moment :D
Well... i heard a voice once. Clear as day to and angry at me. It cursed me... never heard it ever again. Ps i was alone in the house at the time... Also i am very much insane and i would not change it for anything. I just seem to enjoy life so much more then the sane people :3
Glory be to Khorne!!!
If you just talk to them that's fine, but if they talk back, have yourself tested for schizophrenia.
i dont have any friends that live near me (heck, they dont even live in the same country as me) so i have imaginary friends too, except the way i "talk" to them (alot of them are videogame characters) is a bit...er...different? ill talk as myself and then answer as that character, voice and all...
(...I DO THAT 0c0 AHMAIGAWD!!! WE'RE LIKE...BESTIES GONE TOO FAR XDDD)
Lmao thank you for the comment =w=
(hehe
(^w^)\
........./
I don't think that there's anything wrong with you. I have conversations with 'imaginary friends', too and I know it can be really comforting and makes me happy too. Not Hetalia characters though (but I like the show :P), but my own characters. And they are extremly important to me. Okay, maybe they are more to me than just fictional characters so...I can understand you, I think.^^ Of course there are always people who will judge you for that, but there's no need to. There's nothing wrong with you as long as you don't lose touch to reality, and as long as you don't refuse to interact with the real world, too. :)
dont worry... its not uncommon.

its just a replacement because you lack a certain somthing in an area of your life.

i have imaginary football confrences while playing football manager. For me its an aspiration and a fantasy that will never be fulfilled, and thats how i cope with that thought as a coping mechanism. like your creating these characters inside your head to ineract with you due to lack of friends
Heh, I don't see anything wrong with that. I actually do the same thing, except talk out loud, to my story characters when I'm alone, and I'm 24. There's nothing wrong with it in my opinion, just make sure that you can always see the diffrence between real life and the world you've created.
I wish I could help, I really do, but it looks like the people on this forum have you covered. :)
My friend and I did something similar when we were younger. It made things more interesting, in my opinion. As long as you don't let it get out of hand, I don't really see the harm.
Well, you're not going insane, that's for sure. Infact, there have been studies to show that talking with yourself out loud or in your head, or with imaginary people, is actually a sign of good mental health. There's nothing wrong with you doing this especially if it makes you feel better. It's actually a really good thing that you keep it in your head so that people don't look at you weird if you were just talking to the wall or something haha.
It's normal

Unless you actually start seeing them and think they're real you're fine
You'renot the only one who does it, just sounds like day dreaming to me
No one will laugh at you :hug:
Actually your post makes me remember of my own imaginary friends when I was about your same age. I remember I liked creating characters and made them live and talk in my mind. I liked to dream about their adventures, and I was very happy to imagine their stories. Sometimes I tried to write or draw about them...you can try this too. You can try and draw or write stories about your favourite Hetalia characters, and you could also add yourself to these stories. Make them real!!
You're fine dude - just make some tulpas for yourself and you'll be as happy as can be~
As long as you realize that they're just anime characters, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't utilize your imagination for entertainment. When I was your age I used to have these absurd crushes on anime or game characters, haha. Whenever I'd get stuck on a particular character I'd be in a sort of phase where I'd write about or draw them a lot. Eventually I grew out of the crush part when I started realizing that actual men were more interesting, but from time to time I still am seized with the occasional phase where I want to draw a character a lot. Right now it's Sergei Dragunov from Tekken, lol. :icondragunovplz:

Anyhow, social interaction is really important at your age and it would be good for you to get out and make some real life friends too. Maybe you could join a group in your town, like a YA book club or something, if only to make some acquaintances you can visit when you get lonely. Perhaps if your parents know some other homeschooled families with kids your age, you could ask them to arrange a get-together or some kind of meet?
Awww that's so sweet, you're adorable.
There's nothing wrong with it, you have a very good imagination. I think you should only start to worry if you get voices in your head telling you to do things that you know are bad but you have an urge to obey them. Fortunately, from what you've described of your situation, I don't think you have to worry. It's natural for a youngen' like yourself, who doesn't have many friend to have friends that "aren't really there".

I feel like it's important to remember the imaginary friends. They were there for us when nobody else was.
When I was your age I used to be in love with Harry Potter and actually believed he excisted. :P
I think people with imaginary friends are awesome, because they have such a great imagination, they can actually feel less lonely and happier only with their imagination! :D
Makes me want to have imaginary friends again. :p
u just have an over active imagination, you'll grow out of it some day
This was basically the only way I ever stayed awake during 10th grade math class. Although it was usually more of a "mental fan fiction" thing with the characters talking to each other instead of me, but yeah.

Pretty sure that's just called daydreaming, though.
Nothing bad about that, I have a few fictional characters from anime/games that are like role models to me :)