Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

I want to become a tattoo artist but I need some direction...and some questions

:iconsamsonite2:
samsonite2 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I want to be trained to become a professional tattoo artist... but I have no clue though about the process. I have bought a machine to get the feel of it but mainly to learn the parts and mechanics. First things first, I know I need to get an apprenticeship. How exactly do I go about doing that? What is the right and wrong way to learn??

I'll admit that I am a little hesitant asking people for teaching because I'm afraid I'm going to be turned down. I read to be persistent but I don't want to feel like I am annoying someone and make them angry.
Some say you might have to sign contract if you find someone. What is the contract for exactly? And how much average does one pay for training? How long does training usually take?

I was also looking into tattoo schools, but heard that actually can be a waste of money. I am 24 and I want to do this, its what I see myself doing for the rest of my life. I'm kinda of worried that I may be a "late bloomer" because some people have been doing it for several years already.
How do I do this? Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
lol I asked about this not to long ago.

Why don't you just go around to any local tattoo place and ask? I seriously doubt they'll be offended, the worst that will happen is you'll be told they aren't interested.

For payment, that's probably going to be variable by place, if you get it at all. Apprenticeships are often unpaid.

Contract is going to vary, too, but most likely it will require you to work there for a certain period of time to repay your training. In some places, you have to be working in a licensed tattoo place to be able to tattoo legally, and that would cover that, so it's good for you, too. Pretty much a contract just says what obligations each party has to the other. Just read over it carefully and ask questions if you have them.
:iconfreakylaurent:
FreakyLaurent Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
Dont meant to burst ur bubble

two words

Good luck
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   Digital Artist
You should visit a tattoo parlor and ask.
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Your best bet is to talk to some of the tattoo artists on here. They're usually the ones who can tell you about the business.
Add a Comment: