Details

Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Organising/independent study related

Hidden by Commenter

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I think most of this is really personal to you, as far as what will work. If you do well with schedules, then by all means make one. If you make them then ignore them, there's no point.

Remember to take frequent breaks when you are working and studying. I've found brief break to stand up every 10-15 minutes is good, and a five minute walk around every half hour or so is also good for you. It gives your brain time to process and a little break, and works your muscles so they don't get stiff. Be sure to roll your shoulders around really good.

1.With drawing, you have to first have time to warm your hand up before you can start on 'work', and how long that takes depends on you. I've found about half an hour of messing around is enough to get me where I need to be. I know if I start on a piece I need done, then that first half hour is pretty much wasted, so I start off with something else, I do a quick piece or one of the art memes here or something.

For art, I'd say at least an hour and a half, so you have time to warm up. WHEN you do it is also really personal, because it depends on the best creative time for you. If you work best late at night, then scheduling it for the middle of the day is a waste.

I'd say work at drawing at least five days a week if you want to improve, the other two days you can not draw at all, just play around, or mess with another media.

2. Languages is another thing that really depends on you and your brain. Can you study both in a day and retain without getting confused, or do you need to alternate days? Do you work better with long lessons or short?

With a language audio course, I've found I can easily remember about 15-20 minutes worth of material (I have to use immersion, my brain isn't wired to make it easy any other way). What I like to do is replay previous lessons before I start a new one. I do a new lesson three or four times, then I may start it over again and go from the beginning. As a review, I periodically listen to the lessons from the beginning.

If you are someone who does well by memorizing words, your method will be different.

4. For English lit, I'd say an hour or so, again, depending on you and how you work. If you feel that is not enough, then do more. If you feel it is to much, then do less. Maybe read a short story then write something of your own.

5. Typing, spreadsheets, etc-

For typing, personally, I'd incorporate that into writing. Maybe do a quick touch typing lesson, write your story, then come back and do the lesson again. This will give you practice, help you improve, and keep you from getting bored.

For spreadsheets, I don't know, whatever works for you. Can't really advise you there. Half an hour? An hour? However long it takes to complete?
:icondracina:
Dracina Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Well, for studio based classes like drawing and painting, I know they can run from and hour and a half all the way to 3 hours if you take a college course. I know you can't do this, but you can use that time table as a guideline. take about 1 and a half hours at least four days out of the week to just sit down and draw. Don't get distracted and wander to the internet or do something else, you have to be self motivated for this and draw your subject, whatever that may be. Language I would practice on every day because it is a much more integrated part of the mind to work on. It helps to be able to look at things and say the word. It makes you feel silly but read the word out loud, point to the object and say the word, and even just using that word in place of the translation for the rest of the day can help. English literature and language... to be honest, reading higher level books then you're used to will help a lot with this area. Touch typing is more about mussel memory and repetition then anything, it just takes time. Spreedsheets... it depends on the software you're using (some are more difficult then others, some can do more for you then the more basic ones, etc.) You're going to be very busy all week and again, you HAVE you keep yourself motivated (that's usually my downfall, I get distracted easily) but I hope what little I can offer here helps. Of course, this is all just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Add a Comment: