Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Have you had ankle surgery?

:iconhopelesslonging:
HopelessLonging Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
On Wednesday I have to have surgery to repair two snapped ligaments in my ankle. I'm very nervous, as I have never had surgery. From what I have been told, this will be mainly arthroscopic, with an inch long incision below my ankle bone as well.
Has anybody had a similar surgery, and can you tell me what to expect?
I'm very apprehensive... :S

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   Digital Artist
They operated on my ankle. They put in 7 screws and a plate.
:iconladyander:
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I had it done. It will be fine. Your surgery is a little more simple than mine was. I pulled a few thing as I went down breaking my ankle in four places.

Follow any guidelines they give you that you can, show up at the hospital, don their gown and hope and pray you get the experience nurse that can put in IV needles. I got the young nurse who couldn't get it in. I know a nurse gave me a sedative, the operation team said hello or introduced themselves. I remember a little of post-op and the next thing I knew it, it was the next morning when the orthopedic surgeon woke me to see how I was doing. I pretty much have no memory of the day of the surgery. I was told a few days before that I had to prove that I could eat and hold food down. Most anesthetic don't make you sick but they can. I've a sensitive stomach and I didn't get sick. You probably won't have to stay overnight but that's kind of up to your doctor. I had too.
HopelessLonging Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yea, I won't be staying overnight - I check in at 10am and go into surgery at noon. My boyfriend and friends say that after I get out of recovery (which might be like 2 hours), then I'll have my wits about me enough to go home. I'm getting a call from the pre-op team again today, so I'm going to ask a few questions.

How did yours heal? Do you have any problems with it still?
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It healed fine, though because of my injury, I don't have complete full motion of my ankle. I can walk and run fine but I'm a few degrees short of full motion. My doctor warned me I might get early onset arthritis just because I really screwed my ankle up. It's stiff in the morning in the winter. Any of the warmer months I have no problems out of it. I think I'm doing rather well with eleven screws and a rod in my ankle.
HopelessLonging Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
yea, that's a pretty intense injury. I hope all goes well for you in the future...
LadyAnder Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Thank you
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
You'll be fine. A little sore, but a toothache is worse compared to what you're going to feel.
As long as you listen to the docs about what to do with your foot afterwards. no roller blading!:shakefist:

20 years ago they'd have to cut you open from the knee with a hack saw and then use duct tape, staples, and a lot of wishing to make you better. Now, the technology and procedures are quick and minimally invasive.

You're probably not even staying overnight. So that alone should tell you you'll be fine.

Hopefully in the pre-op room where you get your IV and stuff you'll have the pleasure of being placed next to a crazy old man who doesn't stop rambling about how it's a vampire factory and they're going to steal your bones. Because that's what I had to deal with when I was 17:rofl:
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Oh my gosh, that sounds like a crazy experience. XD Was the old man on strong medications, or did he have a mental problem?
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
He looked insane and he was strapped to his gurney.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Holy crap!
Add a Comment: