Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Unsure about a Career

:iconlaurenhiya21:
laurenhiya21 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Before, I thought that programming was right for me, as I enjoyed it a lot in high school. However, after going to college for it for about a year and a half, I found that route to be much too stressful for me as it got way too complex ><

So the problem now is, what should I do instead? I thought about doing art, but the problem with that is it's much too competitive. (or you live in some dumpy place hoping someone will buy something) The next thing I thought about was accounting, since I did extremely well in it at high school and it was also enjoyable. However, now I'm not sure about it anymore since that's basically how I went for programming, and that didn't go very well. Looking into it, nothing really pulls my interests towards it, but nothing really pushes me away from it either.

Of course I've done a bunch of online tests already, but most of them either give me an artistic type job (stressful and/or competitive), a working with a lot of non co-worker people job (stresses me out again), or a job that no one is really seems to be hiring for that don't seem interesting anyway. Since I've moved around a lot, I don't really have any friends that know me well enough to suggest anything either.

So... Any suggestions on either careers to look into, or where to find that out? :<

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconoathbinder-3d:
oathbinder-3D Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Do it like me: double degree media art (ie digital art, film etc etc) with programming

That way you can get a job in one or both :)
:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
See if you can test the waters first with things you like, then hope that what you find out you like is something you can actually do (for example, I found out I really like Anthropology, turns out there aren't many jobs that let you do Anthropology; now I work in advertising and sell Tupperware on the side... and hope maybe I can find an opening for a museum tour guide or archeology assistant).
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Or illegally dig up bones for the black market:P
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Your best bet, I think, is to use your time in college to research different areas of study. Not just "what I was good at in high school" because they teach like... 10 subjects in high school and there's more areas of study than that in nearly any department. It's not like they let you dig up a lot of dinosaurs in high school, or dispense drugs, or clean people's teeth, or touch on any of a thousand careers you could potentially do. So keep an open mind and look for things that might interest you. Even if you end up taking accounting, you might easily have a day job as an accountant and work on some other interest in your spare time -- and while that might be art, it might also be something quite different. People often fall into careers by accident. You train for this but you volunteer for that and one day a position is open and you suddenly find that you're doing finances for a nature conservation place. 10 years later you have a whale sanctuary and you're like... how the hell did this happen.
:icondisappearing-inkwell:
Disappearing-Inkwell Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
the only jobs that are not as stressful are jobs that you feel very comfortable doing, if you like programming continue with it, but if it is too stressful you should try art, art is a very soothing activity (unless your me and suck at it)... and this is a perfect place to try to get noticed and if your lucky, hit the big time...
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Pole dancing is stress free as long as you have two hands or one hand and a good hook.
:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There's no such thing as a stress free job. Instead of running away from things you like becauae you're scared of hard work how about talk to a counsellor about stress management.
Sorry if I worded it incorrectly, but if you are thinking that I am "scared of hard work" because I said that I didn't like how competitive the arts is... um well that's not really what I mean.
I'm not scared of the hard work it takes, it's I don't want to do all this hard work (let's say a 4 year degree somewhere), have this degree, and then no one wants to hire me anyway since there already are so many, much more talented people out there to hire. Then I would be stuck with no job, and probably a huge debt to pay. If I was actually at least somewhat decent at art then I wouldn't be as worried about this, but since I'm not, it's a big issue :/

Of course be thinking that the art industry is totally different from how it actually is... but I doubt that I'm too far off.
:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No, I'm talking about the part where you gave up computer science and won't even try accounting because its too "stressful" and harder than in high school. :/

No shit Sherlock, college is harder than high school and theres literally nothing you can do that won't be hard and cause stress.
I never said that I won't try accounting because it's too stressful :/
I said that I am not sure if it is right for me or not, since there isn't anything that appeals to me (other than I did well in high school, but that's a minor pro), but nothing that for sure makes me not want to do it. Also I don't want to just leap into it, find out it's not for me (like programming), and then start all over again from square one :/
Add a Comment: