Aspergers/ADD-H wth, are brain transplants possible.

Ive come to the realization via a friend, who has this that it must be like hell on earth internally.

Is behavioral modification possible ? Having high intelligence but low emotional intelligence seems like a raw deal.

What of intimate relationships ? I see it is often that case that "normal" people will put the relationship on ice, to see if the "abnormal" one *lol* can improve ?

Any advice ?
Comments53
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You're looking at things from your own point of view, rather than thinking about what goes on in their heads.
It doesn't mean their lives are terrible. If you don't know what something feels like, how can you miss it?
You're looking at it from the side that if you were to wake up tomorrow with Aspergers, it would make your life difficult, because you feel like you would still have the same level of need for emotional intimacy, just you wouldn't be able to express it. Which isn't the case.

Often, people with autism and Aspergers have no desire to develop emotional attachments and no need to. Their brains are simply wired differently to "normal" people.
Many with ASD do not view it as a negative but as a difference; they do not want to be 'cured', some may even feel that the world would be a better place if more people thought the way they do. If it was a unanimous 'living hell' this would not be the case.
Eh, why would you want to change who you are so drastically? No matter who you are, you aren't perfect. Best to just accept yourself and move on with it I say... :-)
Until genetic modification is advanced enough there will be nothing you can do. Even then, genetic modification might not be applicable since brain structure is also a part of the equation.
The thing with Aspergers (ADHD is a seperate diagnosis) is that if you know one person with Aspergers.....you know one person. It is a horribly complex diagnosis.

There are ton's of therapies, and some do not work well with others, and what works for one person, does not work for another.

The younger the better most these therapises work, but there is help for adults, and some medications that help some of the people.

And while it is harder for those who are on the Autsim spectrum to maintain relationship, they usually still manage, and some of them do not really miss relationships.
There is no way a brain transplant could be done. There is no way to connect the brain stem to the spinal cord with it's millions of nerves. The technology doesn't exist yet.
Even if it did, the consciousness- thus, the person- is in the brain. Switch brains, switch bodies. Nothing would change except an entire body being unfamiliar with the new motherboard in the skull.
If you changed brains the other person's memories and consciousness would come with it. There is no way to reboot a brain for a new user.
wtf, i brain transplant just because someone is a little different, fuck no!
:lmao:

I'm confirmed Aspergers, and I seem to having a nice life.

Instead, I suggest doing the smart thing and sending them off to the wonderful community at Wrong Planet. There many resources and an entire forum can be found to help them.
I don't want a fucking brain transplant just because of my aspergers and why I have been like this all my life I have had two boyfriends, and I have a ton of friends. My mum has been able to deal with 5 kids who have either ADHD or aspergers and to her we are normal of course she has been threatened with social services a billion times even know she copes fantastically well but she wouldn't want us to change. Also you are very closed minded if you think its like that for us with aspergers or ADHD.
Well, just wanted to point out that a brain transplant would kill someone. They'd die of blood loss; there are too many blood vessels and veins in someone's brain. There are some therapists though that help with that a lot. :)
No such thing. A brain transplant is the same thing is killing someone.
Yeah right. It's also not that great of you to assume that being on the autistic spectrum is internal hell. Sure, there are certain things that make life difficult, namely social interaction, but to think that it's so awful that your suggested solution is to get a brain transplant, well, to put it simply reflects poorly on you as a person.
Now, if your friend has asked you for help, then try to connect them with a counsellor or therapist or something along those lines. Usually the really troublesome aspects of the condition can be solved with something like behavourial therapy, where your friend will be able to develop social skills or improve their speech. It's not a disease, can't be "cured", and thus does not require surgery or anything of the sort.
As an extra note, I place extra emphasis on whether your friend has asked for help. If they don't actually need it, you'll do more harm than good if you try and get them involved in something they may not be entirely comfortable with. By the way, I don't see any reason why people on the spectrum can't have normal relationships with others. True, it might be difficult to open up at first, but people with this condition tend to be quite loyal to those they are close to.
Thats actually how they feel... Imagine wanting to ride a bike and each time you try you fall off...

Thanks for the advice.
This is based upon real life experience. I'll take you through the hell I went through in my life:

ShinymanStudio and KorukiKonaru, you're both right in a lot of ways. At first, that's exactly how I felt. If there was an option to get a brain transplant, I'd do it in a heart-beat. Cuz, at the time, I was convinced it was either that or suicide. But, typically, people have these thoughts in Middle School or High School. Not me. The scary part is, I had these thoughts in elementary school. Starting in the first grade. Way too early for a six-year-old to be thinking about suicide. But, I was glad I was so young. I didn't know where all the things that could kill a person were in the house, nor some of the different methods on how a person could die. So, I resorted to trying to starve myself to death. But I like food, so that didn't work out. I hate breakfast the next morning then, when I was putting away my bowl, I thought "back to square one". This is what it was like for a few years until Middle School came.

I was put in a group during lunch hour to meet on Wensdays. The psychiatrist would be in the room, but we would get together outside of group. We all had autism, PDD, ADD, ADHD, you name it. But, we all knew each other's pain. By the end of sixth grade, we became each others' sisters, facing the world together. And they taught me how to love life again. For the first time in years, I felt happy. I found many of my other talents with my new-found friends. Drawing, writing, animating, piano. I found something that I loved to do and things that made life worth living.

By the time freshman year came, I wouldn't trade my life for anything else. I felt like I really started to glow. I didn't wake up every morning, depressed. Wanting to waste away the days in my house forever. I woke up and greeted the new day. My life had purpose, now. I've never had a thought of suicide or brain transplant since.

Now, however, my friends from my middle school group are considering suicide which is tough on me, cuz I can't even talk to them the same way I once had. It kind of makes sense, then. Lots of people that have autism, PDD, ADHD, ADD, or some other kind of thing going on have thoughts of suicide once in their lifetime, especially girls. But, ShinyManStudio, I'm telling you to tell you friend that it WILL get better. No matter WHAT he thinks, things will get better and, soon, he will wake up every morning and smile at the sun.
I guess you've been luckier than me. I've never had a friend who was also diagnosed with Asperger's, and even now I don't want to talk about it with my friends because I'm afraid they'll treat me differently if I do. But until I came around to accept my diagnosis, I went through a period of denial so I still wouldn't say that my life has been hell.
If they're really your friends, they won't treat you any differently than they would now.
But, yeah. I am pretty lucky. We looked out for each other and were one big happy family. And I'd never be able to show all of my gratitude for them. That's why I feel so terrible, now. One of my friends is considering jumping in front of a train and I feel like I'm not trying my hardest to help them. Cuz, I really don't know what to say to them besides "it's a pernament solution to a temporary problem" and "it'll get better soon"
Maybe so, but that's not a risk I'm prepared to take.
Like I was saying to the other person, if you're concerned for your friend the best thing you can do is try and connect them with a professional, or advise them to call the suicide helpline.
*server error ?

Just asking if you know if there is a cure. - peace
As far as I know, nope. There isn't a surgical solution to this.
Thats actually how they feel... Imagine wanting to ride a bike and each time you try you fall off...

Thanks for the advice.
I beg to differ. This is something I don't care to admit too often, but I myself have a mild diagnosis. I find it hard to relate to people, but I wouldn't describe it as hell. The trick to mastering a bike is to just try. If you're scared, attack with reckless abandon.
Don't be making sweeping assumptions, now.