What would you do?

What would you do, If a good friend of yours who moved away was chatting to you and then confided that they had been abusing prescription medication?

My best friend moved away about 1 1/2 years ago, and we try and talk often, even if its only Facebook messaging. 2 nights ago she told me she has been abusing prescription medication, that was prescribed to another family member. Though I freaked out and obviously expressed was totally against this, she said that it wasn't an addiction and that it was just a replacement addiction for something worse.

I dont know what to do. She lives so far away, it makes it difficult to REALLY talk and have one of those meaningful conversation that can help out a person in need. But she has made it clear she "doesn't need help". What should i do? What CAN I do?

Thank you for your advice on this :/
Comments27
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
This is a tough decision, think the real question is what can you do.

You can attempt to help your friend who lives far away, tell people who can do little to help her or you can ignore her and let something potentially bad happen. I think this is one of those decisions where you have to allow it's natural course to take place.
Responsible recreational drug use really isn't a big deal. Moderation is key. Try it before you flip your shit on your friend, or don't judge.
She's your friend. You have a responsibility to help her, and in this case, save her. If she doesn't listen to you that it's wrong, yes, go tell her family. Why don't you tell her why what she's doing is wrong? The effects and all. Tell her what happens if she keeps doing that stuff. Maybe she'll listen. Don't stop telling her it's wrong. Don't ever. Good luck to you on this. Don't give up, even if your bones break.
thank you for your advice :iconthankyouplz:
You could ninja-douchebag secretly tell her family and hope they're not stupid enough to be in denial and ignore you or worse rat you out.

If she's abusing prescribed drugs and mixing those with alcohol or other drugs she could be dead at any time.
Prescription drug abuse is racking up a huge body count every year in the United States. Less people are dying in Syria because of war then fools who abuse prescribed medications in the US.

It's probably an issue for many nations.

If anything, you're still her friend and keep that in her mind as you gently attempt to get her to rehab.
Just don't throw it at her like a hammer. You need to be a Jedi on this.
There's almost no chance she'll quit cold on her own, that only happens when you've been 2 seconds from death and if you have to wait for that to happen you might as well get ready for a funeral.

Good luck
Do you even know what pills she's taking and what they do? Calm down.
Personally I would do nothing, it's her life. Also, I would consider it a betrayal of trust if you did do anything. I would also lose faith in you as a friend if you started freaking out like you're doing.
She's taking dosages of concerts. any how thanks for your advice.
As omega pointed out, what you're saying is really like letting someone put a rope around their neck. Look at this girl's avatar, she looks 16ish, how old do you think her friends are likely to be?
If kids could be trusted with their own lives they'd have freedom to do a whole lot of things sooner than 18.
Ha! Let'em tie they're own rope! Rough!
Explain to her the negatives of the pills she is taking and express that you're worried about her well being and help direct her to find help but remember you can't make her do anything. Keep in mind that you shouldn't constantly drill her about it, try not to judge her, or make her feel like she can't talk to you. Maybe right now she isn't willing to accept help but one day she might be willing to but feels like she has no support. I wish you luck and hope for the best!
thank you for your advice :iconthankyouplz:
My pleasure =)
The drugs always change a person. Treat her the same as always and keep in mind that you can't make decisions for her. If you respect her, especially when she obviously feels awful that changes how the person thinks about it. When you do drugs you expect lectures, flak and disappointment, but when you are met with genuine love and respect it changes your life. Also keep in mind that she told you about this because she trusts you with it, just try to let her know she made the right choice telling you.
Of course, looking at it from that point of view definitely helps. Thank you :iconthankyouplz:
try talking to her through your messaging, believe it or not iots a better form of communication since you could always look up what one person said that one time not to mention you could share these problems with a community like you do here, some one has to have an answer or something you to could associate with, hell you might make a friend that way or someone she can confide in or both

thats my advice to you
thank you very much :iconthankyouplz:
If she’s a minor, I recommend contacting her parents or whoever is legally responsible for her. If she is not, consider calling whoever is most involved in her life, first being certain that they are not participating in and/or enabling the problem.

She says she doesn’t need help. But the fact that she told you means some part of her realizes she may have taken a wrong turn and will need some help to get back on track.
No! Tell her to take moar pills!:P
What the fuck. Let’s just tell her to drink some bleach.
You're brilliant!
(love you)