Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 89

Do your parents support you being an artist?

:iconknoire:
knoire Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mine don't. And it sucks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcrumblerumble:
CrumbleRumble Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Yes.
But they did mention the story of my uncle who wanted to become a full-time artist and that is still living with his mom. No money, no home, he hasn't established anything yet. Still waiting for that one big breakthrough.. (he's now almost 55)

Not saying that this mean all artist will walk this way, but do consider what drawing means to you and what you want to achieve with it. I choose to keep it as a hobby and I'm very happy I did.
:icondraculeariccy:
DraculeaRiccy Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional
My dad always wanted me to become something "good" like a doctor. By now I've just finished a make-up artist school and he still wants be to get a "real" job. It really hurts to go home after two weeks and then you have to hear that your dream is hilarious. He never really said that he doesn't like what I'm doing, but I can feel it from the way he talks about my future.
So I guess I kinda understand how you feel.
:iconmaritse:
Maritse Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Uhm, well. I'm not a artist, I'm only 16 years old but my fosterparents (and real parents) seems to support me. Sometimes I show my drawings to them and they mabye comment a little bit. When I talk about my future as a artist (not quiet sure yet) they give me ideas and tell me about thir opinion and so on.. So I would say they support me? But so ar, its only a hobby, when it get's more serious, I also think they take it mre serious than now. So I believe that in the end I have a good support.

But about your parents dosen't, that really sucks. Have you tried to talk with them, ask them about what they thin about your art?
:iconlove-3n:
LoVe-3N Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student General Artist
I am not planning to be a professional artist, so I can't say anything. I draw only for my own entertainment, but I say you should follow your dreams.
:iconimperf3ction:
Imperf3ction Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Absolutely. Should always welcome those with the ability to creativity, too many dull individuals laying around, enjoy your gift!
:iconcustardandpie:
CustardAndPie Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My parents (And my older brother) do support me. They know how much I wanted to be an artist when I was little, and know how much I'm striving to improve today, so yes, I am supported by my own family.
:iconoathbinder-3d:
oathbinder-3D Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
typical asian story: my parents want me to be a doctor. surprise surprise.

Yeh I got the marks to be it but what I did was this: I applied for a double degree with media art and engineering.

I guess try find a way to make art relevant and personally I think it would be relevant depending on how you use art to support your expenses without your parents paying for you. :)
:iconzombie-goldfish:
zombie-goldfish Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
At first they didn't.
Now I'm studying in a course that can get me a well paying job, they don't support me in it. As a hobby I started sewing, they are encouraging me to keep doing that and to sell what I make.
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
My dad definitely did. My mother tries to, but it's painfully obvious to see that she would rather I go to med school or something that would actually give me an education and a fast track to a high paying profession.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
No, but since I make my own way it doesn't matter. I got a degree, trained myself in my spare time, saved my money, and now I get to do what I want. Everybody ultimately has to make their own way, gifts from family members are nice but they often come with strings attached. Expect that you'll have to support your own dream, and that it might take many years of you working a day job to get there.
Add a Comment: