Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 89

Do your parents support you being an artist?

:iconknoire:
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Artist
Mine don't. And it sucks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcrumblerumble:
CrumbleRumble Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Yes.
But they did mention the story of my uncle who wanted to become a full-time artist and that is still living with his mom. No money, no home, he hasn't established anything yet. Still waiting for that one big breakthrough.. (he's now almost 55)

Not saying that this mean all artist will walk this way, but do consider what drawing means to you and what you want to achieve with it. I choose to keep it as a hobby and I'm very happy I did.
:icondraculeariccy:
DraculeaRiccy Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional
My dad always wanted me to become something "good" like a doctor. By now I've just finished a make-up artist school and he still wants be to get a "real" job. It really hurts to go home after two weeks and then you have to hear that your dream is hilarious. He never really said that he doesn't like what I'm doing, but I can feel it from the way he talks about my future.
So I guess I kinda understand how you feel.
:iconmaritse:
Maritse Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Uhm, well. I'm not a artist, I'm only 16 years old but my fosterparents (and real parents) seems to support me. Sometimes I show my drawings to them and they mabye comment a little bit. When I talk about my future as a artist (not quiet sure yet) they give me ideas and tell me about thir opinion and so on.. So I would say they support me? But so ar, its only a hobby, when it get's more serious, I also think they take it mre serious than now. So I believe that in the end I have a good support.

But about your parents dosen't, that really sucks. Have you tried to talk with them, ask them about what they thin about your art?
:iconlove-3n:
LoVe-3N Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student General Artist
I am not planning to be a professional artist, so I can't say anything. I draw only for my own entertainment, but I say you should follow your dreams.
:iconimperf3ction:
Imperf3ction Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Absolutely. Should always welcome those with the ability to creativity, too many dull individuals laying around, enjoy your gift!
:iconcustardandpie:
CustardAndPie Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My parents (And my older brother) do support me. They know how much I wanted to be an artist when I was little, and know how much I'm striving to improve today, so yes, I am supported by my own family.
:iconoathbinder-3d:
oathbinder-3D Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
typical asian story: my parents want me to be a doctor. surprise surprise.

Yeh I got the marks to be it but what I did was this: I applied for a double degree with media art and engineering.

I guess try find a way to make art relevant and personally I think it would be relevant depending on how you use art to support your expenses without your parents paying for you. :)
:iconzombie-goldfish:
zombie-goldfish Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
At first they didn't.
Now I'm studying in a course that can get me a well paying job, they don't support me in it. As a hobby I started sewing, they are encouraging me to keep doing that and to sell what I make.
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
My dad definitely did. My mother tries to, but it's painfully obvious to see that she would rather I go to med school or something that would actually give me an education and a fast track to a high paying profession.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
No, but since I make my own way it doesn't matter. I got a degree, trained myself in my spare time, saved my money, and now I get to do what I want. Everybody ultimately has to make their own way, gifts from family members are nice but they often come with strings attached. Expect that you'll have to support your own dream, and that it might take many years of you working a day job to get there.
:iconthesurrealisticmind:
thesurrealisticMind Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
At first, my parents didn't want me to (esp. my dad), but now they don't care :/
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
HAH! No...no they do not. My brother, the Navy sailor (who I'm very proud of) is the obvious favorite in the family. As for me, the unemployed art student who isn't even in college right now...yeah that's another story.
:iconluxkrux:
luxkrux Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
They don't care
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
My dad doesn't. He says I'd be better off cutting people's hair or washing dishes at a church for a living. I'm not remotely interested in either of those activities.
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yeah, I come from an artistic family. :)
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
They do support me although it's a completely new area for them and they don't really understand it, sometimes they don't want to bother at all, they just want me to get out there and get a simple job, considering the 'crisis' the world is going through at this time and age. Other times they tell me to follow my dreams and struggle. But seriously I don't really care because I'm going to follow my dreams anyways.
:iconwolfos96:
wolfos96 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I only write stories for fun has a hobby. My mom thinks it's cool.
:iconml4p:
ML4P Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Only
when it's convenient
:iconpsychogizmo:
psychogizmo Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
They're pretty supportive. My dad didn't think it was a serious thing until a couple of years ago. They hate that I'm moving cross-country to pursue it, though. "You can act in NYC!" Yeah...but you have to do LA while you're young. Soooorry.
:icongrasschamp:
Grasschamp Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They kind of like what I do, but they do not like it when I am up in my room for hours drawing. Other than that, they are quite neutral to the idea.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Yes
:iconcatching-dreamz:
catching-dreamz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
my parents support me even more than I do most of the time!

They push me to follow my passions and live my dream which I love and very much appreciate! But it concerns me that they're so convinced that I'm going to be one of those VERY select few illustrators who hits it big that I'm scared I'm gonna let them down....

there's a weird and complaint for you...

I'm sorry that your parents don't support you....but I know I at least like taking stuff like that as a push to better my self, to prove them they're wrong! :)
:iconslippymagnus:
SlippyMagnus Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My mom doesn't care, and thinks that as long as I can get paid doing it, she could care less. My dad doesn't understand it, but he thinks it's nifty to see me 'At work' on a picture, cos he never had any artistic talent, and imagination that he readily uses.

it can get frustrating sometimes.
:iconpanthera--shadow:
Panthera--Shadow Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
My mom says I should do something that helps the world, like being a scientist. Granted, I love science, but art helps the world too. She says I should exercise my brain more instead of drawing so much and reading comic books. She doesn't seem to realize I'm currently reading Shakespeare...
:iconretkikosmos:
RetkiKosmos Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional General Artist
no, they think if i'm not a doctor or someone that contributes to society I'm a failure
but I don't care anymore,I'm going to art school now and supporting myself, it's my future after all
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think they are glad I have a hobby, and at the same time glad I'm not actively pursuing art as a career.
:iconsiranger:
sirAnGer Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I somewhat doubt my parents would fully support me if I were to become a professional artist, but they're very supportive of me being a (hobby) photographer.
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
"Support" in what respect? I support myself financially, for the most part. They are generous with their extra money, though.

Support emotionally? Yeah, sure, I guess...I don't really go looking for emotional support, and they don't know too much about what it is that I do.

Are you asking if they're against what I do for a living or if they try to get in my way because of some opinion they might hold that I should be doing something different? No, they don't do any of that, but frankly it isn't any of their business what I choose to do for a living. If they were so strongly opposed to it that they tried to get in my way then I would just find some way to do it without them, and that would be a shame because it would cause me to distance myself from my family. As it is, I'm pretty much doing it without them anyway, although my dad does cosign my student loans.

Maybe it's just because I'm a bit older but I find this question and all the responses to it to be extremely strange. Why should my parents have to support what I choose to study? It's not like I'm forcing them to study it, too.

I suppose the short answer is that their stance on what I study is neutral, and that's all I need.
:iconazeron17:
Azeron17 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Friends and family seem to think I have a knack for photography. Problem is that I'm somewhat of an perfectionist and often hate most of my own work. So, external factors support me where I'm kind of ****ed internally.
:iconcoldblackraven:
ColdBlackRaven Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm not an artist but I write and draw occasionally. No one really cares or appreciates what I do. They think I'm wasting my time so I think no =p I don't have support. My mom used to support me in everything but she passed away :shrug: sucks
:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I'm no artist, but my parents doesn't mind any creative line of work. My brother is/was a comic-strip artist and my parents got quite upset with him when he seemed to stop drawing. He does have a job by the side, of course, but trying to get by as just an artist when you get no money for food/living is just stupid. One has to know their limits.
:iconraveruna:
Raveruna Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   General Artist
My mother doesn't care. She doesn't have anything against it, but she doesn't support me either. My father really loves my art (he was the one getting me to draw as a child in the first place :)), and he's always bragging with paintings I made for him.. that got me two rather big commissions from his workmates. :D

But honestly, even if they'd want me to stop being an artist, I wouldn't. Because it's MY life. :)
:iconhkepoetry:
hkepoetry Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mom thinks that if I can't earn a lot of money from it, it's a waste of time.
My biological father said I needed to be brainwashed or talk to a therapist, because he would rather see me do difficult Math problems then paint on a canvas. :disbelief: He said I was a freak.

But hey! I still paint! :D And I don't give a fuck about what they think anymore. :la:
:iconpleasantshadeofgray:
pleasantshadeofgray Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I really didn't care if they did or not. I did what I did and the more they disliked it the harder I would work at improving and the more I wanted to draw. If anything the art helped out a lot. I poured every bit of anger I had into it. I would not change a thing ever.
:iconangelheartthewarrior:
AngelheartTheWarrior Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ehm... Kind of.

(This is really personal, so don't make fun of me for it.) My parents got divorced when I was thirteen, and then my mom got remarried (I stayed with her). My original, biological dad supports(and supported) my art still, my mom does but my non-bio dad (remarried guy) doesn't. He grounded me once for working on an oil paint project before I did my homework (it wasn't fair! I had one algebra question which I just set aside because it was really easy, anyway.)
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Artist
my parents get shit-angry when I'm drawing. It's not even funny x/ I know how you feel. Are you interested in going into art as a career, and that's why they don't like it?
:iconangelheartthewarrior:
AngelheartTheWarrior Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup. I want to become someone who's responsible for doing the art in video games, but I have to complete my three years of college first. ^-^
:icondanielgee:
DanielGee Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mine don't, they want me to get " a proper desk job" as they call it and say that if I want to make a living out of art they will find me begging for money on the street someday...
:iconeclectic-fusion:
eclectic-fusion Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
My parents pushed my brother and I into the arts all the time, with fanatic encouragement, :) I love them for it. I'm very sorry your parents don't see the merit in what being an artist means for a person throughout their life. Take that frustration of yours and apply it to your betterment! I'm sure with that drive alone you can make a more passionate artist that most!
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Artist
i think you're right! Why mope when I can improve? thank you for the encouraging words! : )
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
They don't care all that much. But then again, I'm the one who spent the better part of my younger teens in locked inside my own room along with my nightmarish hallucinations and chronic depression. As long as they don't find me sitting in a corner with my arms wrapped against my legs, slowly wagging back and forth with a haunted expression, I don't think my hobbies or aspirations bother them all that much. As long as I don't end up living with them in my 30's, it's kind of whatever :shrug:
:iconthecures:
TheCures Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
not sure. They're divorced. Mum loves me and everything i do. she's very supportive and i can tell her anything. she also went to an art school when i was 4 so she was the one who influenced me
dad doesn't understand art. he was very supportive of it when i was a kid, but now that i grew up he criticizes all my works even if he doesn't understand them (like saying they're satanic, or that i should do things that i could sell)
He keeps telling me I need to make money, to work on commission and do what others ask me to do
He says I'm a parasite and that I'm only on the computer all the time.
He's making my days miserable because I don't want to go to uni. He said that I'll have no value as an artist if I don't have a diploma. I tell him I wanna work on an art collection after I finish my current school. I believe in myself but he doesn't. He really made himself hated.
I'm really glad I could share this.
:iconalzircon:
alzircon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If my child drew shitty animu characters, I wouldn't support them either.
Totally off-topic and objective question: why are so many people calling it "animu"? :D
alzircon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"The word "animu" means "anime", but it is used in a disparaging or self-deprecating way. It's used as an in-joke, in reference to how anime otaku culture is not accepted by everyone, and how anime can consume so much time, energy, money."- Urban Dictionary

I personally enjoy anime, I'm very selective with what I watch, but I do enjoy it. What's hilarious to me are teenage girls, who watched some slapstick shit like Hetalia and then declare to their parents that they want to pursue an art career and be a famous mangaka desuuuuuu!!!1! :giggle:
ah, thank you. :D
Haha, same opinion here :rofl:
It's funny because you also do cartoons.
you're a funny lad
I'm not the one bawwwing about parent support, love.:pat:
well i'm not the one acting like a bitch
to each their own
Oh no, that'll show me.:lol:
Add a Comment: