Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Guard Dog for Apartment Life?

:iconthe-one-true-koneko:
The-One-True-Koneko Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What would be a good guard dog for an apartment?

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving into an apartment together later this year, and have agreed that getting a guard dog is a good idea. I've already looked into a place, but haven't had the time to actually look at one of their open appts.

Our main concern is size; he's worried he might step or sit on it if it's too small, and I'm worried about if it'll be too big to live comfortably with us. Excessive grooming is something I want to avoid, and I want to be able to train it relatively quickly. Energy level isn't much an issue, since I'll be giving it frequent walks and exercise once we get it.

The only local breeder I know has German Shepherds, and will have a litter ready around the same time we'll be looking. Personally I'd prefer a Doberman, because I worked with the breed when my Dad was breeding them some years back.

What else would be a good idea?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If your number one reason for getting this pet is for it to guard the house, get a home security system instead. It'll be more reliable and also cheaper in the long run.
:iconvalkenhayndornez:
ValkenhaynDornez Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have a beagle, and if properly trained, they will bark at whatever comes to the door and stop when you tell them to. They're also extremely sweet, and very energetic.
:iconalexraccoonglider:
AlexRaccoonGlider Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Poodles are supposed to be very smart and will ID intruders and bark at them or so, depending on how you train them, they can be either big, middle or small sizes too.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Try this: Dogs 101 breed selector

It gives you a series of questions then suggests a dog based on your answers :)
:icontheawesomeshoexd:
TheAwesomeShoeXD Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Get a shelter mutt. :) My dog is a shelter mutt and he is the most awesome and loyal dog ever. I live in an apartment, too and know many others who live in them. Avoid getting a large dog. Many apartments have a weight limit on dogs, and for good reason. They tend to make a lot of noise from romping around and the neighbors below complain, and large dogs need a hell of a lot of exercise that is not compatible with apartment life. I personally find small dogs highly annoying, so I got a medium sized lab mix at the shelter. His name is Aries. I'd say for minimal grooming also get a dog with short or medium length fur, but my dog has long fur and I only need to brush him out a couple times a year.
:iconthe-one-true-koneko:
The-One-True-Koneko Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you everyone for all of your input so far. I just talked to my BF about possibly adopting a Greyhound- there's a dog track near here that adopts out retired racers- and he wasn't opposed to it. They also apparently allow you to use their track for running your sighthounds.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for a dog with at least above-average energy levels, because I'm planning to have them as a workout partner as well as a watchdog. I don't want a dog that is overly sensitive or will continue to bark long after the 'threat' is gone, just one that will let us know when someone's at the door or something doesn't seem 'right' to them.
:iconghostinthepines:
GhostInThePines Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Depending on what region you're living in, you might want to consider getting a cur. They're more common among hunters in the Appalacians and the South. Curs are good guard dogs, very territorial, but they can be taught to be very calm and social when away from "home."

They're short-haired dogs. The black-mouth yellow curs often get mistaken for yellow labs, so there would be little worry about the dog being stolen or anything like that.

The New Jersey wildlife department employs yellow curs to help run off nuisance bears from residential/public areas, so you know these dogs are tough. They're not intimidated easily by size or injuries.
:iconvomitbear:
VomitBear Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Doberman, Rottie, or the Shepard.
Chows are cool, I had a BIG female, but they're not able to get up high like the other three I mentioned.
Chows are more like a spilled bag of bricks.

Also make sure the apartment allows dogs.

Why would you get a small dog you might 'sit on' to protect anything? That's silly.
:iconaspacecowboy:
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
None of the above. I lived in the hood for 12 years and had precisely 1 problem, and it was...

taken care of...by some friends.
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'd say go for a rottie. Pit Bulls end up stolen quite a bit; but a rottie or a dobie looks the part of a big scary dog with much less grooming than a shepherd requires.
Add a Comment: