January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Calling off work.

:iconxmichiyo:
xMichiyo Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Here's my problem.

I've went to work the past 2 days visibly sick. I even had one of my managers send me home early last night because I was sneezing and coughing all over my register.

I tried to call off this morning (7 hours before my shift) and got told to talk to the main manager of my department when she comes in an hour from now.

I already feel extreme guilt and I haven't even officially called off yet, mostly because I have a high number or calloffs as it is.

I guess what I'm asking is... if I've already gone to work sick 2 days in a row, was sent home last night, AND I'm planning to get a doctor's note, should I really feel this guilty? ...and if I've got a doctor's note, is there really much they can do to me? (I'm in a union if this helps)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondeadly-tea-party:
Deadly-Tea-Party Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional General Artist
If you're really sick. No. Things like this happen. I've had to call off work quite a few times due to migraines. And with migraines there's no way I'll be doing anything but taking my migraine tablets and sleeping it off.
:iconvomitbear:
VomitBear Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
If you're constantly missing work, then yes, you need to be worried because your job is on the line probably.

If you're not missing a lot of days, then no, you need to sit home and take care of your health. Simple as that.
This is probably the..oh..5th day in about 8 months? It's pushing it, I know, but I get sick a lot.
:iconvomitbear:
VomitBear Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
5 days in 8 months is not that bad especially if you have health issues and only missed that many.
:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You don't need to feel bad, but I don't blame you for it. I feel so guilty every time I call in that I actually went into work with pneumonia once. Yeah, I got yelled at for that one. xD

I called in today too, since i'm throwing up and hurting, but only after debating it for like, an hour. I feel so bad when I call in. D:
Well, at my job every time someone calls off, they'll usually tell you to "come in anyway" no matter what your excuse is.
They've also been known to call you throughout the day trying to get you to come in "just for a few hours".

It makes the whole experience of calling off/being sick way more stressful than it needs to be.

Thankfully, that didn't happen this particular time, but it's happened all of the other times I've called off.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Maybe this is why there's a massive flu outbreak all over the country--because people stopped realizing that coming into contact with other people when your sick, ya know, makes them sick too. Stay home and get better.
Well, I blame it on managers who don't understand that they don't own their employees, haha.

I ended up finalizing my call-off. It went fine, and I don't think I'm in trouble.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
I blame it on companies as whole who don't offer any kind of paid sick-leave for people in restaurant and retail positions. It's ironic because these are the types of jobs where people interact with each other the most, causing sickness to spread fast. I'm a waitress that's forced to go into work sick because I can't afford to miss it, as are all my other coworkers, so when one of us gets sick, ALL of us get sick.
I only earn sick time after a year of service.

Like I'm supposed to not get sick for a year..?

I just don't understand companies who do this.
Add a Comment: