Calling off work.

Here's my problem.

I've went to work the past 2 days visibly sick. I even had one of my managers send me home early last night because I was sneezing and coughing all over my register.

I tried to call off this morning (7 hours before my shift) and got told to talk to the main manager of my department when she comes in an hour from now.

I already feel extreme guilt and I haven't even officially called off yet, mostly because I have a high number or calloffs as it is.

I guess what I'm asking is... if I've already gone to work sick 2 days in a row, was sent home last night, AND I'm planning to get a doctor's note, should I really feel this guilty? ...and if I've got a doctor's note, is there really much they can do to me? (I'm in a union if this helps)
Comments30
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you're really sick. No. Things like this happen. I've had to call off work quite a few times due to migraines. And with migraines there's no way I'll be doing anything but taking my migraine tablets and sleeping it off.
If you're constantly missing work, then yes, you need to be worried because your job is on the line probably.

If you're not missing a lot of days, then no, you need to sit home and take care of your health. Simple as that.
This is probably the..oh..5th day in about 8 months? It's pushing it, I know, but I get sick a lot.
5 days in 8 months is not that bad especially if you have health issues and only missed that many.
You don't need to feel bad, but I don't blame you for it. I feel so guilty every time I call in that I actually went into work with pneumonia once. Yeah, I got yelled at for that one. xD

I called in today too, since i'm throwing up and hurting, but only after debating it for like, an hour. I feel so bad when I call in. D:
Well, at my job every time someone calls off, they'll usually tell you to "come in anyway" no matter what your excuse is.
They've also been known to call you throughout the day trying to get you to come in "just for a few hours".

It makes the whole experience of calling off/being sick way more stressful than it needs to be.

Thankfully, that didn't happen this particular time, but it's happened all of the other times I've called off.
Maybe this is why there's a massive flu outbreak all over the country--because people stopped realizing that coming into contact with other people when your sick, ya know, makes them sick too. Stay home and get better.
Well, I blame it on managers who don't understand that they don't own their employees, haha.

I ended up finalizing my call-off. It went fine, and I don't think I'm in trouble.
I blame it on companies as whole who don't offer any kind of paid sick-leave for people in restaurant and retail positions. It's ironic because these are the types of jobs where people interact with each other the most, causing sickness to spread fast. I'm a waitress that's forced to go into work sick because I can't afford to miss it, as are all my other coworkers, so when one of us gets sick, ALL of us get sick.
I only earn sick time after a year of service.

Like I'm supposed to not get sick for a year..?

I just don't understand companies who do this.
High turn-over means they don't have to worry about paying people for sick days. Unfortunately, high turnover can very well be due to people calling out sick. :bucktooth:
They've seen you sick two days in a row, they know that you're not faking it or being lazy. Check with your manager to make sure if it'll ease your mind, but I'm sure with a doctor's note it'll be fine; no point you spreading your germs to everyone else in the place!
I got a hold of the head manager of my department, and she was a lot more understanding than anyone else I've talked to about calling off. She said I should "go see a doctor", but not in a way that suggested that she wanted a note. Better get one to be safe though.
That's good to hear, and I agree that you should get one just in case; est to be over prepared.
I would not feel bad. If you've done your best, and just aren't able to function, then stop worrying about it and focus on getting well.

:D
I'm trying, haha.
Re read the company policy manual
Most time can grant an extenuated circumstance
if thats allowed.

Hope this helps
I looked up everything I could find, and it sounds like I'd need to be written up several times for attendance issues before firing is even a consideration. I've not had any write ups.
If you're THAT sick, there's not much you can do. If they sent you home you're clearly more on the "too sick to work" end of the spectrum and...that's reason enough. I know it feels weird to call off but...otherwise you could be infecting your coworkers and customers in addition to making yourself absolutely miserable. D:
That's sort of what I did yesterday, and I really regret it. I probably got a few people sick. I did my best to sanitize often and not cough on stuff when it could be helped.
There's no reason to feel bad, but if it makes you feel any better have a co-worker ready to cover your shift before you call. I've found managers are mostly indifferent to calling in sick as long as you don't put them on the spot to find someone else to replace you.
I tried yesterday to find someone who could cover my shift, in case this happened, but to no avail.

When I finally got to talk to my main boss, she didn't even ask about it. Thankfully, I think she was really understanding about the situation.
There is nothing much you can do about it You need to rest and by the look of things, need to take antibiotics Get better and then come back to work fresh and healthy That is what I am doing right now so I understand your situation :D
Good thing I have the next two days off after this. Should be plenty of time I'd think.