A scammer on Craigslist has my phone number. Now what?

Long story short, my idiotic mother convinced me to sell my camera to someone who can't meet me in person even though we are supposed to. When the buyer claimed that he or she is from Nigeria, I had to end all communication with the user. I hear there's a scam going on and the scammers are from that country or elsewhere. Here's the problem, she's got my phone number. So far he or she only texted me. That's it. I also fear that... What if the user have some hacking skills? What else can they do with my phone number other than giving me unwanted calls or text? The bad guys are innovating all the time.
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yeah I think the worst he can do is call you. I mean my insurance or company protects from others using my phone number (kinda hard to explain.) I know you can block people so you can't receive their texts or calls when they try to send them. You may want to ask your phone company though. Good luck! :)
It'd be terrible if someone could destroy your life just by knowing your phone number since so many people and companies have their phone numbers plastered all over their websites and business cards and posters and whatnot. Don't worry, the worst thing they can do is call you.
i don't think he can do much damage, or damage at all with only a phone number, being that you can get almost anyone's phone number from a phone book or online.

just as long as you did not give him any banking information all should be safe, but you might still want to change your phone number if he keeps texting... because people are annoying...

but im not a professional, so you still might want to be on the look out for anything suspicious.
I think most phone companies come with blocking features. a lot of countries have the ability that if they start harassing you, then you can bring up official charges against the person via government services. there's also other things, changing numbers if they get too bad. phones cannot be hacked but people can obtain personal information via phone numbers. but just keep an eye out on your personal info like bank accounts and the likes. I'm not quite certain how they would have gotten into those unless you gave them to the person. above all else the easier thing to do would be to block, if they call again, then take it up a notch.

in the future it might be wise to use other features in order to sell items. newspapers are still used, the one you used, Craigslist, one of the bad ideas to use. there are some strange people on there and you never know they are strange until you encounter them. this is the net after all, the freaks can hide anywhere.
Change your phone number, alert the banks and anyone else who has your number of it and make sure it doesn't happen again.
And light the bat signal!
Just relax, there's not really anything they can do with your phone number. If there was, people's phones would be hacked all the time since it's not too hard to get hold of numbers. If it helps, keep an eye on your bank account, but I can't really see any way they'd get to that just from having your phone number.

Well done on cancelling the purchase when you did.
Thanks but I should have ended communication as soon as the scammer said we can't meet in person. Next time I may not be so lucky.
I know several people who actually did get scammed, so be glad that you're knowledgable enough not to fall into the trap. Just treat this as something you've learned for next time and don't be too annoyed at yourself.
Actually, I'm more annoyed at my mother. She convinced me to negotiate with the buyer anyway telling me, "At least you don't have to worry about having a gun pointed at your face." Well, that's why I meet the buyer in person at a public place that's crowded people like a cafe. Even though a gun gets pointed at my face, at least there are eye witnesses, right?
How do we know this is really you? Maybe your accounts are already hacked and we are talking to the Nigerian mob!!!!
Is it possible if they have my phone number?
Very unlikely.
Remember that scammers in the end only want one thing: your money. Either you paying them for something they won't deliver, or by plundering your bank account.
You could contact your bank and ask them what they can do about strange transactions (large sums disappearing, suddenly expensive items being paid for). Most banks are willing to put up a limit or something.
BTW, I didn't leave my phone number on the ad that's posted on Craigslist. I only gave it to the scammer when we were communicating via email. Dammit, I should have end all communication when he or she said "we can't meet in person." I should not have listened to my mother even though she successfully sold items on Craigslist but met the buyer in person.
Never listen to your mother again.
What a shame. When I was young, she was always concerned about who I give out personal info to. Now, as the bad guys are innovating all the time, she's become clueless.
She's old, that's why Yoda was forced to live in a swamp.:P
Talk with your Carrier, they have methods of blocking calls from select people for security. Just as long as the person doesn't have any important info like an address and bank # I think you are fine.
Watch out, they might try to phone you at dinner!
: [

I've never heard of someone hacking your phone just by having your phone number. I don't think you have to worry about that. If you start getting an insane amount of crazy phone calls, than change your number, i guess.

They can't hack you - what are they going to hack with a phone number - but using a reverse number directory they could find out where you live. But maybe they can only do that with a land line.
What about bank accounts?