Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 59

Is It All In My Head

:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been told for a while that, "The depression is all in your head," "You're only depressed because you want to be," "You're just doing this for attention." Honestly, I believe it. I believe that I should just stop taking my medication, stop going to therapy, and stop wasting my parents' time and money for this. Yes, there are somethings wrong with me but I don't think depression is one of them. I'm not going to go into detail, because who really wants to hear about how I got to this point. What this post is really about is depression and is it really just all in your head? That you're only depressed because you want to be? (Yes that sounds like a dick comment, but that's what I've been told for that last few months) I understand that if I stop taking my medication is risky but at this point I don't care. NOTE: I'm not self-diagnosed(that's kinda obvious though)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconelectroreactive:
It's neurochemical. Is it in your head... technically, as that's where the chemicals are made/maintained... but what they mean is 'it's all software... just think your way out if it.'

Also, to improve your art (I notice you're pretty hard on yourself) speedruns are better than working slowly, they'll look worse at first (which, knowing that, may actually help you feel better about it because it's intentionally a rush job), but you'll progress faster.

Also, I would be tempted to tell them. "If it's all in my head, why are you adding to it by accusing me and making me more depressed? Jeeze, a girl asks you to throw her a shovel and you try to pour cement on her." But I wouldn't actually say that.

Don't stop taking the medicine. Exercise, a year of exercise can surpass Zoloft as an antidepressant. The combination should be pretty good.
GloomyPandaBear Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for the help :) I'm gonna start boxing soon. And yeah I am pretty hard on myself, a lot of people tell me that ^^;
:iconvineris:
Vineris Jan 15, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
You're not self-diagnosed. So at some point, someone who has studied for a great many years looked at you and determined that you have a problem that can be helped with therapy and medication. If you do not trust this, because after all experts are only human and can make mistakes, you can go see another person with many years of medical training and ask them what they think.

What you should probably not do is listen to someone who has spent their entire life learning how to fix boilers or organize office files or play Halo make guesses about your health.
:iconthe-ever-eternal:
between the chemical imbalances and measures of self worth as a human being through our traumas, the truth is what my doctor told me. depression is, in a sense all, in your head, but what that means is, is that your sense of safety has been compromised and are preceiving everything as an attack. i know this because what caused my depression was the back of all my beliefs being broken, "you don't know what people are thinking" and yet still today i've been told by people that i've given better advice than their doctors or had better ideas because i listened, they liked what i had to say, and why? because i got them, i understood them better than my own family. where when it was all in my head i thought no one listened to me or even cared to listen so i stopped talking all together and why that was, was because of what people told you, in a sense, "just get over it" and by my own mom too, the last person i felt i could trust, so i felt no one cared for me and stopped connecting to others, how i recovered is a long story but needless to say it was through alot of soul searching,m and finding my own answers and letting off on those who i could associate with, depressives like me.

but what sparked all of this was simple, my therapist told me that its okay to be depressed, its okay to linger, because its the bodies way of coping with the loss of what ever value is lost on you, whether it be people, objects, or even simple belief it all takes time to come back, but this is becoming politically correct, kinda turns people off on what neds to be said

basically be depressed linger on it find what bothers you the most and pass it off on whats causing it, because it might not be what you think it really is

mine came from an art school, where i thought my "creativety" suffered rather my than social life

P.S. if suicide becomes an answer, reason this, how many people will feel depressed at your passing? how many will mourn? how many will remember you for who you were and how many are really just guilt stricken from it? why would you think it s agood idea? and are you really doing it because no one cares or is it to make them care? or are you doing it to find/make that crowd you desperately wanted to understand you despite not being there. these are all the questions to ask if my advice turns sour.

and now i wash my hands of you,
PEACE!
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That is fucking bullshit. Depression is not all in your head, it's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances of the brain. Sounds to me like you're dealing with the typical ignorant folk who are misinformed about what depression is, and how it causes more than just sadness.

I wish I could tell you what to do, but if they choose to be ignorant then there's nothing you can do but accept it. My family is the same way about my depression, so what did I do? I disowned them. I moved far away and I've never been better. I'm currently in a treatment program and I've learned about safe and unsafe people, and your parents are unsafe. Distance yourself from them as much as you can, and move out as soon as you're able to. Living with them while they harbor these assumptions, is not a good environment for you. If anything, it will only worsen your depression.

You didn't choose to be depressed, no one chooses to. Depression is a mental illness and it's something we have no control over anymore than a cancer patient has control over their illness.
GloomyPandaBear Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you for the advice :huggle:
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
This is true of some people, not of others.

I was diagnosed with depression myself for a while, it seems to be something that runs in my family and taking a short course of medication along with regular counselling sessions helped me feel better. :) But everyone is different.

Regardless of whether you think you're causing your problem, the first thing I suggest looking into is positive thinking - or more technically CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). You need to recognize what in life you can prove is your fault/responsibility, and ask yourself whether you're doing what you can to change it - and realize that the vast majority of the things that you get upset about are probably things that aren't your fault that you can't change. The way you think has a great impact on your mental health - either in helping you cope with real depression, or causing / making it worse.

Dealing with any kind of deep problem like this is very hard, and a lot of people who've never gone through it don't understand that and won't believe how painful and trying it is to get out of that bad place. Do your best to help yourself, and if it's not enough don't be scared to ask for help from others.
GloomyPandaBear Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you for the advice :huggle:
:iconjericawinters:
Whether it's chemical or attitude is a question only you can answer. That being said, I do think that depression is not taken seriously enough. Nobody in their right mind would tell a schizophrenic person to go off their meds. The person would start hallucinating big time. I'd laugh in the face of someone who said that a schizophrenic person was just trying to get attention. What a bunch of bull.
Add a Comment: