Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 59

Is It All In My Head

:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been told for a while that, "The depression is all in your head," "You're only depressed because you want to be," "You're just doing this for attention." Honestly, I believe it. I believe that I should just stop taking my medication, stop going to therapy, and stop wasting my parents' time and money for this. Yes, there are somethings wrong with me but I don't think depression is one of them. I'm not going to go into detail, because who really wants to hear about how I got to this point. What this post is really about is depression and is it really just all in your head? That you're only depressed because you want to be? (Yes that sounds like a dick comment, but that's what I've been told for that last few months) I understand that if I stop taking my medication is risky but at this point I don't care. NOTE: I'm not self-diagnosed(that's kinda obvious though)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconelectroreactive:
electroreactive Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
It's neurochemical. Is it in your head... technically, as that's where the chemicals are made/maintained... but what they mean is 'it's all software... just think your way out if it.'

Also, to improve your art (I notice you're pretty hard on yourself) speedruns are better than working slowly, they'll look worse at first (which, knowing that, may actually help you feel better about it because it's intentionally a rush job), but you'll progress faster.

Also, I would be tempted to tell them. "If it's all in my head, why are you adding to it by accusing me and making me more depressed? Jeeze, a girl asks you to throw her a shovel and you try to pour cement on her." But I wouldn't actually say that.

Don't stop taking the medicine. Exercise, a year of exercise can surpass Zoloft as an antidepressant. The combination should be pretty good.
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for the help :) I'm gonna start boxing soon. And yeah I am pretty hard on myself, a lot of people tell me that ^^;
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
You're not self-diagnosed. So at some point, someone who has studied for a great many years looked at you and determined that you have a problem that can be helped with therapy and medication. If you do not trust this, because after all experts are only human and can make mistakes, you can go see another person with many years of medical training and ask them what they think.

What you should probably not do is listen to someone who has spent their entire life learning how to fix boilers or organize office files or play Halo make guesses about your health.
:iconthe-ever-eternal:
the-ever-eternal Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
between the chemical imbalances and measures of self worth as a human being through our traumas, the truth is what my doctor told me. depression is, in a sense all, in your head, but what that means is, is that your sense of safety has been compromised and are preceiving everything as an attack. i know this because what caused my depression was the back of all my beliefs being broken, "you don't know what people are thinking" and yet still today i've been told by people that i've given better advice than their doctors or had better ideas because i listened, they liked what i had to say, and why? because i got them, i understood them better than my own family. where when it was all in my head i thought no one listened to me or even cared to listen so i stopped talking all together and why that was, was because of what people told you, in a sense, "just get over it" and by my own mom too, the last person i felt i could trust, so i felt no one cared for me and stopped connecting to others, how i recovered is a long story but needless to say it was through alot of soul searching,m and finding my own answers and letting off on those who i could associate with, depressives like me.

but what sparked all of this was simple, my therapist told me that its okay to be depressed, its okay to linger, because its the bodies way of coping with the loss of what ever value is lost on you, whether it be people, objects, or even simple belief it all takes time to come back, but this is becoming politically correct, kinda turns people off on what neds to be said

basically be depressed linger on it find what bothers you the most and pass it off on whats causing it, because it might not be what you think it really is

mine came from an art school, where i thought my "creativety" suffered rather my than social life

P.S. if suicide becomes an answer, reason this, how many people will feel depressed at your passing? how many will mourn? how many will remember you for who you were and how many are really just guilt stricken from it? why would you think it s agood idea? and are you really doing it because no one cares or is it to make them care? or are you doing it to find/make that crowd you desperately wanted to understand you despite not being there. these are all the questions to ask if my advice turns sour.

and now i wash my hands of you,
PEACE!
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That is fucking bullshit. Depression is not all in your head, it's a mental illness caused by chemical imbalances of the brain. Sounds to me like you're dealing with the typical ignorant folk who are misinformed about what depression is, and how it causes more than just sadness.

I wish I could tell you what to do, but if they choose to be ignorant then there's nothing you can do but accept it. My family is the same way about my depression, so what did I do? I disowned them. I moved far away and I've never been better. I'm currently in a treatment program and I've learned about safe and unsafe people, and your parents are unsafe. Distance yourself from them as much as you can, and move out as soon as you're able to. Living with them while they harbor these assumptions, is not a good environment for you. If anything, it will only worsen your depression.

You didn't choose to be depressed, no one chooses to. Depression is a mental illness and it's something we have no control over anymore than a cancer patient has control over their illness.
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you for the advice :huggle:
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
This is true of some people, not of others.

I was diagnosed with depression myself for a while, it seems to be something that runs in my family and taking a short course of medication along with regular counselling sessions helped me feel better. :) But everyone is different.

Regardless of whether you think you're causing your problem, the first thing I suggest looking into is positive thinking - or more technically CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). You need to recognize what in life you can prove is your fault/responsibility, and ask yourself whether you're doing what you can to change it - and realize that the vast majority of the things that you get upset about are probably things that aren't your fault that you can't change. The way you think has a great impact on your mental health - either in helping you cope with real depression, or causing / making it worse.

Dealing with any kind of deep problem like this is very hard, and a lot of people who've never gone through it don't understand that and won't believe how painful and trying it is to get out of that bad place. Do your best to help yourself, and if it's not enough don't be scared to ask for help from others.
Thank you for the advice :huggle:
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Whether it's chemical or attitude is a question only you can answer. That being said, I do think that depression is not taken seriously enough. Nobody in their right mind would tell a schizophrenic person to go off their meds. The person would start hallucinating big time. I'd laugh in the face of someone who said that a schizophrenic person was just trying to get attention. What a bunch of bull.
:iconsonotcooldude:
SoNotCoolDude Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
I echo this.
I once saw a billboard that was about taking depression seriously and it said, "You don't just say, 'It's just cancer. Get over it.'" (I just thought of that as I read) Anyways, thank you :hug:
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
You're welcome. There was an ad similar to that said something like "Heart disease. Just another excuse for lazy people to stay home."
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
If you can 'quit' your depression like that, it means your depression wasn't real.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
*facepalm* you can't think your way out of depression.

Could you think your way out of a broken leg?

It's a medical condition that needs to be treated. These people are idiots. People say that crap all the time, because they have never been depressed. They may have been sad at one time, maybe they got a little depressed for a few weeks, but they have no idea what they are talking about. True depression isn't just you feeling a little dopey and not wanting to go do stuff, and you know that. You feel sick. Because you ARE.

Well, if you are still depressed and have been on meds for three months or more, with no improvement, then yes, either the meds don't work and you need new ones, you are not suffering from depression, or the depression is purely situational.

This is something you should talk to your doctor about. Step one would be to try a different medication. There are lots of different ones.

You can also ask to be reevaluated. Tell your doctor you feel your problems are coming from somewhere else and you'd like to work on them.

I bounced around and got different diagnoses at every doctor I went to, at this point I'm just classified as 'unspecified mood disorder' with other elements. I've been trying different treatments for a few years and tend to react badly, or not at all, to medications. The last time I went in the doctor pretty much said Ok, what exactly do YOU want to accomplish with this stuff? And we junked everything I'd been on and started something new. Maybe this will work on its own, maybe I'll need something else at some point, we'll see.

It's not as easy a diagnosis as a blood disorder or broken leg or something. Doctors can't run a quick test and see what needs to be adjusted in your brain (well, there are some that can take an image of your brain and see where it's malfunctioning, but that's super expensive so most people can't do that, anyway) the only thing they can do is listen to your description of how you are feeling and try to throw something at that that has been known to work.

That's why they want to see you every 3 months. They need to check and see how you are reacting to the meds, and what needs to be changed.

So if your issue is with the meds, that will clear that up.

If it's really situational depression, then the meds won't help much. The only way to fix THAT is to make a change in your life. People who are situationally depressed usually take meds for a few months while they figure out how to change things, then can go off once the change has been made.
When I went to my doctor she said to come back in a month and I did and now I don't see her until May. The last time I went was in October. But I think that's because she thinks I'm getting better because my parents said I was getting better but I didn't really feel any different but they said just tell your doctor you're better. So I did but only because they were in the room and I was afraid to say other wise(not that they'd do anything if I did. I was more worried about making them sad because I'm not better like they thought) Anyways thank you for commenting :hug:
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
They aren't allowed to tell you when you're better. If you aren't getting better, you need to get back to the doctor. And tell the doctor what your parents are doing, that isn't right.
:iconsethadmirer:
SethAdmirer Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't think it is if it's affecting major aspects of your life. And your family should know that their rejection of your condition, however mild, can have a huge detrimental impact. I know someone who struggled with OCD and severe bullying at school, among other things, for years. His parents refused to interfere with the situation and kept apologising for HIS behaviour. It aggravated his mental and emotional condition so badly that he's partially lost his grasp on reality. Now they're basically paying for it.

Seriously, have someone; anyone who'll always support and believe in you by your side. Never stop your treatment, and get someone to talk sense to them if you can't.
Thank you I will. Hope your friend is alright now :) I know how hard it is with his parents not being so supportive with his situation.
:iconsethadmirer:
SethAdmirer Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You're welcome. Well, he seemed to be improving the last I saw him. Thank you for your concern. :)
:iconchristyreserva:
ChristyReserva Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
When I was 15, I didn't really know what I was feeling was depression until I had to be called to the guidance office after having missed so many classes for inexcusable reasons. I had to have a talk with a guidance counselor about what I was going through and started to have a mental breakdown. She was the first one to talk to me about "depression" and that I really needed help. I guess it was an eye-opener for me that someone could try to make some sense of what was happening instead of believing that "it's all in your head". I also found this <a href="[link]>site, which gives some helpful articles on depression or any life problems in general. I think it's important to note that when it comes to depression, it has a lot to do with internal and external factors, in which, your mind has been plagued with a lot of unhealthy thoughts. After two years in therapy, I still struggle with unhealthy thinking patterns that contribute to my depression for so many years and because of that, I continue to take my meds as directed by my counselor. Although there are ways to overcome this illness (once you've accepted this as part of your life rather than who you are), just remember that you are never truly alone and that you can talk to someone and get the support you need. :)
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
thank you very much and thanks for the link :)
:iconzeflyingmuppet:
ZeFlyingMuppet Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I personally have had a pretty shitty past, well, most of my past life. Things now are just starting to get brighter, but, I still feel like I'm in that shithole. At least what happened before isn't as bad as it used to be but now its just kind of clung onto my back. I feel like I'm pretty fucked up but at least I have a school counsellor to talk to until I graduate later this year

Yes, as people are saying, it is in your head but you absolutely cannot choose how you can feel. But... You can help with feeling better :)

Here's a couple fun facts lolz.
some foods that make you happier: Mussels, Dark Chocolate, Blue Potatoes, Greek Yogurt (It tastes gross and I need some fruit with it then it's AMAZING!!!), Asparagus, Honey, Cherry Tomatoes, Eggs, Coconuts.

Apparently, in some women, drinking coffee everyday can help reduce depression by 20%. Not sure if it's true but it might be the caffeine.

Hope this helped a little ^^
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:iconzeflyingmuppet:
ZeFlyingMuppet Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
no problem! ^^
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Writer
If you don't think depression is what's wrong with you, you should definitely bring this up with your doctor or therapist. Of course depression is a very real illness for a lot of people, but if you don't feel like it's your problem it won't help you to be treated for it.

Just don't stop taking your medication or anything until you've consulted a professional. If you feel that there's 'something' wrong with you, even if it's not depression, you should continue to go to therapy too, in my opinion.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Depression is a state in which you are in despair and hoplessness, and feel like being in a muddy hole that's filling up with sewage around you. When you try to climb up, the mud tumbles down under your grasp. The worst thing is that it's self-inducing, making one feel worthless and helpless etc.

Setting a good aim in life solves this problem in my opinion. That's when I decided to "kill who I am" and "become someone better". I couldn't actually destroy my personality, but I have certainly developed a lot, and it was well worth all the effort.
:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't just stop taking your meds because of something someone said. If you yourself truly feel you're at a point where you want to find out whether you can ease up on them, go talk to the doctor who prescribed them, or get a second opinion from a different one. They'll be able to tell you whether it's a good idea or not and how to go about it if they feel you should stop or switch to something more focused on your anxiety. Don't leave anything out when you go. Tell them exactly why you're there, what's going on and how you feel about it.
:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You cannot change your depression and more than you can change the weather. If it is raining, too bad, put up an umbrella. You are doing the right thing by taking medication and having the courage to talk to others about it. Even anonymous ones over the internet. Although it may seem like there is no end in sight, gradually it will clear and you will have learned better coping mechanisms for next time.

Keep reading, talking and if you feel you need the meds as a support then do that too. Best wishes and keep safe.
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Technically it is all in your head, seeing as it's a mental illness and all, but make no mistake. I'm not in any way implying that it's not genuine. We all have off days, but if you've been officially diagnosed by a doctor, then it's most certainly real.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
It is in your head, including your whole brain chemistry which you only can influence to a certain level.
Stick to the meds and therapy.
:iconsarahdeathbell:
sarahdeathbell Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I was in the hospital, one of our group sessions was on how we can choose how to feel. I got out of there asap.
:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Well, most of the time Depression is not something imagined. It is possible to be misdiagnosed, but generally I would say that Depression is not just imagination
:iconretkikosmos:
RetkiKosmos Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
Depression is all in your head, by that I mean it's a chemical imbalance in your brain
A lot of people don't understand you can't just make a decision to not be depressed, even if you tried it'd be a phony attempt. It takes work, with both self improvement and medication to get your life and emotions back together
Thanks for commenting, really helped :huggle: by the way I really like your Profile Icon
:iconretkikosmos:
RetkiKosmos Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional General Artist
you're welcome
I'm going through depression too, I understand :hug:
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
At least it's not in your left leg! :la:
:iconrachburns:
RachBurns Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh yes, really...you choose to feel so down and badly all the time. *sarcasm*

I've been depressed and no, it's really not as much a choice as people would make it out to be. :hug: Listen to your doctors, not whoever's telling you that nonsense about it being something you want to be like.
Thank you so much! It's defiantly no walk in the park :huggle:
:huggle: No it isn't. I'm sorry that people think it's so easy for you to just snap out of it.
I tend to just pray that they don't ever have to find out.
Yeah, after one session with my therapist(first session I might add) the first thing my family asked was, "Are you better?" :facepalm:
Get the therapist to knock sense into their head. Maybe he can at least shame them into keeping it to themselves.
Challenge Accepted! Thanks again for the help :huggle:
I do hope it helps. Maybe if they hear it in medical terminology instead of "you feel bad".
Yeah, then they'd understand
(1 Reply)
:iconmonkeydoodles:
monkeydoodles Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Don't listen to that ignorant person who's been saying those things to you. Depression is very real and it goes hand-in-hand with anxiety a lot of the time. Keep up with your treatment and things will get a lot better.
Thank you, the only reason I've actually listened was because it's someone close to me and they've experienced serious depression. Only big difference between that person and me is that they didn't self harm or have thoughts of suicide or as far as I know.
:iconmonkeydoodles:
monkeydoodles Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I'd think that person would have more compassion for somebody else going through it, but apparently not.
Yeah I thought so too.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
It’s complicated. It’s possible that some of that is true. But even if it is, your depression is still real. Your experience of it is real.
True, especially all the crap you go through and the pain of hurting the people around you.
Add a Comment: