Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

I think I hate my family

:iconan-epitaph-to-truth:
An-Epitaph-To-Truth Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Well, the title is misleading; I know I hate my family, I just want advice on how to deal with them until I can move out.
My father struts around like he's king of the hill - everything has to go his way, he owns everything, his word is law. Since I've turned 18, and since I've been formulating my own opinions about the world, I've become 'a threat' to his dominance so he regularly derides me in front of my friends and girlfriend, insults me and my opinions, etc. For example, I am forbidden to ever have tattoos, stretch my ears, or 'defile' my body in any other way.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I moved out when I was 15 for the same reason. I hated my dad and my brother and mother, I haven't seen them in about 8 years and I don't regret it.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I hate my dad as well...
I just grin and bear it...until I can move out
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Writer
Harsh truths might be needed for you, even if they aren't that pleasant to hear. ~FIRSTxAIDxKIT is right, especially about your brother; just tell him to do stuff for himself.

Your isses with your father sound like problems that roughly half of the 18 year olds I know face. The only thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and don't get any tattoos, piercings or whatever while he's paying for your life. Fair? No. But just because you're legally an adult doesn't mean that you have a fair relationship with your parents while you're living with them; you don't, trust me. They have all the power in your relationship until they aren't supporting you in any way and you're not living in the house they own/rent.

If you want to end your problems with them, get a job and look into places available for rent in your area. As to how to deal with them in the meantime, just keep your mouth shut, remember who's paying the bills and don't take crap from your brother, but don't start fights either. If he wants to screw up his exams, that's his business.
:iconfreakylaurent:
FreakyLaurent Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Photographer
Well . . .

Seems as if your'e dealing w/ this so called

Anal retentive

Why not have a frank discussion and ask him to tone it down just a tad??
:icondisappearing-inkwell:
Disappearing-Inkwell Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
my family does the same things ... the best thing you can do is just wait it out until you can move out, money will probably still be a problem, but everyone's having money problems now in days.

good luck on whatever you decide to do.
:iconart-by-cait:
Art-By-Cait Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Hm..

I love with my mom and stepdad. When I was 16, my stepped began to act that way. He was so controlling that if I locked my door, I'd get yelled at for disobeying him. I wasn't allowed to.cook, I wasn't allowed to eat certain foods (for example, canned chicken I wasn't allowed to use one can to make a sandwich or I'd get in trouble), after a certain time I couldn't eat or shower or play video games. He would demand things and tell me how I had no right to speak my mind. I wasn't eighteen yet, so I didn't matter in the house. My opinion was worthless. We would fight constantly- I ended up walking out of my house at 3am without anyone knowing after we had a fight. That shook my mom, who began to stand up for me. It opened room to talk, and over time I established a place in the house. As soon as I was able, I left. I went to love with my bf. I'm back now, however I have an even bigger place here than before.

My advise is NOT to run away. That can have a very bad affect. If it's that bad, and you're eighteen, find skin. Set up a bank account that you control, it doesn't matter if your parents know. As soon as you can, move out. That's really your only option at the moment.
Live* Damn auto correct
I'm trying to waitit out until I got o university in September this year.
If it's that bad, you need to leave :)
My mother over reacts to EVERYTHING, wailing like a banshee if a stain appears on the carpet or if anything upsets her fragile little world. She is unable to trust anyone since my dad had an affair 10 YEARS AGO. Long fucking time.

My brother is the laziest fucking cunt I have ever met, 16 years old and failing his GCSEs because of lack of effort, all he does is sit on his arse all day playing xbox or on his ipad. And he treats me like a slave, asks for drinks and food, makes me go second for a shower, second at everything like a snobby fucking prince.

Please DA friends, my imaginary voices. Tell me what to do.
Add a Comment: