To be or not to be.... I think I finally get this question.

Hey everyone. After many years of arguing and negotiating with my parents I finally convinced them to let me go to an art school. But now after hearing all the arguments against living an art career I'm isht scared about it. Any words of wisdom or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
Comments25
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
you can do it, yay <3
Arigatou :meditate
I'm majoring in psychology but minoring in art and I'm satisfied with that. It's all about the quality of your work anyway, right? My mom put it this way when she told me not to go to an art school: "Do what you love, but in order to do that you need money." You have to know exactly what you want to do with art and your chances of getting a job or eventually you're just gonna end up hating art or yourself cause you can't get a job with a degree in it.
But it's also about allocating time. I believe that the major thing seperating sucessful artists from aspiring artists or rather their quality of work, is the sheer amount time spent actually drawing and working on projects. So you kinda need to focus if you're really serious with your art career. I mean there's so many different amazing artists everywhere, it's a bit silly to think you can match them without putting nearly as much work in as they do. Even when you know what you want to do with your art the competition is heavy.
Believe it or not, language majors run into the same problem. If you study German or French alone there isn't really anything you can do with it. But if you combine it with communications, international relations, business, or education, you're good to go. Or you get a phd and teach. The key is to combine your major with something more likely to land you a job.

I guess you have to think about what it is that you want to *do* with art. Video game design, animation, illustration, own your own photography studio, teaching? There are soooo many possibilities! I think that as you go through your major, you will find out what options you have and what you like.
Now that's some very practical advice. Thanks so much. I'm seriously going to consider combining it with somthingelse. Thanks again.
Good luck! I hope it all works out for you. :)
I hope so too. Thank you kindly. :)
Learn to handle criticism, and be prepared to have no free time. :bucktooth:
Yeah I'm learning that the hard way.
You may also want to look into state universities with strong art programs. It's virtually the same education you'd get at an art school at a fraction of the cost. ^_^
That's a great idea
^_^ It's what I ended up doing when I realized the art school I'd been accepted into would put me in six digits of debt when I graduated. :iconfinallyplz:
Hahaha sorry about that. It's a very valid option. What did you minor in?
No minor, just planning on double majoring in English and animation. ^_^
Thanks everyone. FUDGE IT!!! I'm going for it and if it fails there's always stripping.
Find a bread and butter career, and then while working, pursue the art as a side thing. That way, you can have your cake and eat it, too.
Attending your freshman year of art school does marry you to a career in art. Just go and find out what it's really like, so that if you change your mind you can do it without regrets.
If you love to be creative, If you don't mind struggling, if you're willing to do whatever it takes to do what you love, then you're born to be an artist!
Save money for food.
Follow your dream, yeah the path is scary but its a fun path and I have been following my dream for 4 years and I still am following it.