Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 98

Arguing with people in threads!!

:iconmayjackson:
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I keep arguing with people accidentally in threads! People post something, I try to find something I disagree with slightly (so there's something to discuss) and I write back offering my view, then they attack without regard to logic/ sensible argument design.

In my opinion it should go: Primary post --> dissonant post --> civil discussion of differing opinions, why they may be different, perhaps which is more valid or not (maybe it's just opinion based and subjective) --> resolution or agree-to-disagree.

What do you do when people don't want to cede anything at all? When they just throw random insults?

I am so FRUSTRATED. When someone insults me I can't stop posting back to them, even though I'd probably prefer to rewind and not engage with such a stupid person in the first place. But maybe that's part of the problem, I'm so bored/isolated currently that even negative interaction is better than nothing...

What do YOU do to keep a conversation positive even if you have a different view point? (Or, if you don't care about keeping it positive: how did you manage to not care? how do you disengage?) Do you think that always agreeing is the only way to keep a discussion civil/positive?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmayela:
mayela Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Don't take yourself too seriously, nobody does. Also remind this to the trolls, it pisses them off.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
That's a good idea :D Probably a good way to lighten a conversation. Thanks!
:iconedarlin:
edarlin Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
If someone replies with something that pisses me off, I just delete their reply and don't carry on the conversation. Most of the time I don't even bother reading their whole reply if I see that they're being intentionally mean. They probably think that they won the argument, which is just fine with me. That's why the internet is great: it's so easy to ignore the people that irritate you.
Easy for you >.< Though I guess it's easier to do that (for me) if it's a private message. If it's in a forum though where everyone can see, it's so hard D:
:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Writer
I stopped doing that myself. I stopped feeding them but as long as people do this sort of thing they are going to continue with arguing. I have been on other sites in the past where they would create alts just to argue with themselves. quite sad really, the right thing to do would be ignore them, walk away and not feed them. it's hard to do but it can be done.
Alright, I'll try to do that! Thanks :D
:icondraculeariccy:
DraculeaRiccy Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional
If they start acting like idiots, stop talking to them.
I'll try, thanks!! :)
:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
The way I solve this problem is the way I solve every problem on the internet:
add 3 grams of 'arguement is a waste of time'
2 grams of 'positive attitude towards people'
5 grains of salt
and 15 grams of 'sense of humour'

if someone posts something I don't like, I may talk about it for a little while, but if it gets out of hand, well, find a plz account that will end or lighten the convo.

:iconagree2disagreeplz:
:iconjackiechanplz:

another method is to respond with a progression of faces or icons to each response they give.
them: I think 32 degrees is a boiling point and you are dumb!
you: :iconnotimpressedplz:
them: my fish died at 32 degrees. do you think you are clever with your silly face? you're an idiot!
you: :iconverynotimpressedplz:
them: I hate you! you are a poptart!
you: :iconimrlynotimpressedplz:
them: UNCONTROLLED SWEARING
you: :iconmadlynotimpressedplz:
them: i leave this conversation and/or develop a sense of humor.

or alternately, develop some catchphrases that end conversations.

example: i understand what you are saying
you understand what you are saying.
You're a very smart person
etc.

or, say something that you both agree on.

example: puppies are adorable though.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Actually it's :iconnot-impressedplz:

Lol sorry about that. That was a really funny post btw. :XD:
Add a Comment: