How to write a resume?

I'm looking up information as I type this, it's just that I'm having trouble finding a way to write a first resume without making it hopelessly confusing or boring as can be. Because jobsearch.about.com is making me slightly nervous since I really don't have much more than school and training right now. That and a highschool job I only kept for a week because my grades dropped.

And that site also says that "Once you start to really think about your background, you’ll be surprised at what you have to boast about. The content of your resume will be determined by your own unique experiences, skills and background" but there's so very little I can remember since getting diagnosed with the MS. (Though I know for certain I don't want that to be part of a resume! I want something more like being in JROTC in 3 out of 4 years of highschool and so on!)

Silly bit is, I know exactly what job I'm hoping for right now--I was recently certified for phlebotomy. And I'm more than willing to volunteer in an office for awhile if they'd like me to know the ins and outs first. I don't know if they'd let me do much of anything else.
But I do know sometimes you just gotta get in the door and climb a bit before you get what you want.

I guess that the best way to put things is that I'm just a good deal overwhelmed. ^^; How would you break this down instead of having to look at it as a giant "thing"? And what kinda stuff is okay and not okay to put on these--surely between the sites and talking with people, it should work out!
Comments37
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
How old are you? There is a big difference between a resume for someone still in college, a recent college grad and an adult with work experience. In general, you want to highlight work experience (again, this will depend on your age--a young, college student will want to maybe put mall work or summer work on the resume, but an adult would not), education, volunteer work, any additional skills you have (speak another language, know programming, html etc.).
27 but little work experience because I've been trying to be trained in this or the other. (The phlebotomy training finally worked out!) Thank you for the tips! Would it be a good idea to mention that I was in JROTC and High School choir?

I ask because I graduated in '03. So I don't know how far back I should reach to find things. ^^; I've done volunteer work with my church more recently, too, so I know that I can mention those.

Again, thank you so much for the tips. I really appreciate it.
If you have been in training, then this should be on your education section, and most employers would see that you have been going to school, so logically, you wouldn't have held full time employment.

JROTC is a good thing to mention (because it shows leadership training) and any volunteer work. Under the 'volunteer' work section, it is a good idea to list the duties that you did (just like you would for a normal job section). You can mention that you are in a choir as one of your interests, but I wouldn't go as far back as saying it was a "high school" choir. Good luck.
Thank you for explaining. :nod: I know I've said it several times, but you're really helping me out.
So I wouldn't have to mention which choir it was (highschool/church) just mention it under the interests? Alright. ^^
Generally for a CV the format is:

Title (usually your name)

Personal Details
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email: (not something like XxXsexybby69XxX@hotmail.com... something professional)

Personal Profie
This is where you outline your skills. Like organisation, communication, I.T skills, typing speed (for office work mainly), that you work well as a team or on your own initiative, customer service

Education
In order, most recent first.
Eg. on mine is along the lines of:

2011 to present: Computer Applications
City and Guilds Level 2
I.C.E Group

This course consists of (etc)

2009 to 2011: Bachelor Arts Degree
National University of Ireland, Galway
Studied two years of Bachelor Arts Degree in English and Information Technology.

Employment History
Again, most recent first.

July 2011 to August 2012: <The position you were in, eg Sales Assistant, Office Administrator, General Worker>
Address of company
<Brief description of what work you did in the job. Make a point of going back to what is in your Personal Profile. Eg. "I organised X", "I worked as a team player in the area of", "I had to work under pressure" etc>

Interests and Achievements
Bullet points are the best for this, make it short but informative. Try to bring out things that are useful for the job and make you look good.
:bulletblack: I speak a basic level of French.
:bulletblack: I have a full, clean driving license.
:bulletblack: I had excellent attendance throughout my school career.
:bulletblack: I am interested in drawing and graphic design.

Referees
Referees are available on request. (This gives you time to call your references and ask them to stand for you, if you are considered for the job).

Also, ensure you tailor your C.V for each job you apply for. If the job description calls for particular skills, ie. Communication skills, and you have good communication skills but it is not on your C.V, include it in your personal profile before you send it.

I'm not sure if resumes are made up the same way in the U.S as they are in Ireland, but I hope this helps in some way.
Thank you so very much for showing this! You've explained it very well and I so very very appreciate it. Mind if I copy this to wordpad and use it as reference? It looks like this format should work, even if I do have to edit.
I don't mind at all! I really hope it helps. :)
Tons of examples on the internet. I just took one that I thought looked good and copied its format. Usually cover letters are more difficult for me.
Haha, I dread the cover letter too. It's gotta look like something they'd want to pick up!
There are numerous resources online for resume writing.
This is true. :nod: I was looking at the one I linked, but it can't hurt to get others. (Of course I could do like I did to get that one: type 'writing resume' in the search bar.)
Monster.com used to have a resume service I think.
Thank you! I'll see if they still do, then. ^^
There are different types of resumes. There are chronological resumes, functional resumes, hybrid resumes, etc. I would aim for a functional resume. Functional resumes are geared toward people who have more educational experience than on the job experience. Try using Google to find "Microsoft Office Functional Resume Template" from microsoft.com (I wouldn't recommend downloading from anyone else). That way you can get a general idea of how other people lay things out. I personally like bold headings, but that's just me! :-)

I'd also put a lot of effort into your cover letter since that could really set you apart! :nod:
Is it the cover letter that's supposed to be the most attention getting?
The site I linked did mention that -something- has to be eye catching and that it isn't supposed to be too small or too hard to read certain things at a glance. (Generally, I'd think that part would have to be the whole thing, but it's not bad to be sure.)

Thank you for the tip! ^^ I'll get to checking that site.
Yep! The cover letter should be attention getting to pull them in, since they probably get a million of them, and easy to read for the same reason! :nod:

You're welcome! ;) Tons of luck on the job hunt! Don't forget, you have mad mad skills! They need you! Desperately! Don't let them forget it! In fact, you might not even really want the job if it's not up to your expectations! :lol:
That makes perfect sense. Thank you for talking this over with me. ^^

And thank you so much for the encouragement. :giggle: I've definitely got the skill since the people said I did well in clinicals--it's just getting to use them! Even recall the order of the draw (like I should, honestly. It's not really a special thing. XD).
You're welcome! ;)

Ooo! One last thing! Don't be shy about asking your teachers for recommendations, references, or suggestions as to where to apply! Don't be shy about mentioning them to the hiring manager either if they've worked at the place! :)
Ooh, that's a thought. I'm sure, if I could get in touch with her still, the instructor who taught phlebotomy may be a reference! Thank you!
Do you have a jobs resource center nearby? I think it's common on college campuses, and I would expect the place where you got your phlebotomy cert to have a starting point.
We have an unemployment office--actually had gotten financial aid for the class through them so they'll definitely want a copy of the certification. Thank you for reminding me about that!

It brings another question though: is it more likely that they'll have somewhere they want me to apply for first, since they paid for the class? Can't help but wonder, though I probably ought to ask them when I take the paper for them to copy.
There you go :nod:

I'm not that familiar with unemployment offices, but they do usually have their own resources. I don't think they "want" any particular thing though.