Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Being discriminated against by teachers and classmates

:iconsalita18:
Salita18 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
As the title says, I'm being discriminated against by my teachers and classmates. No I'm not just nagging about this, I'm actually serious. Let me explain.

I'm a student in the Netherlands. I grew up here, have a Dutch passport and Dutch father, but because my mother is Indonesian I don't look Dutch, with my black hair and slightly tinted skin. I've never really been discriminated against based on race, because I live in the city. Usually in city's there are more "foreign" people, so people are used to different faces.
This study course I'm in right now, even though I'm in a city, most of my classmates come from smaller towns and villages. Which is no problem (since I have some friends from towns like those), but these classmates of mine are different. Also I'm (besides one other person) the only one with exotic blood.

The first I'll explain are my classmates:

It started off with my classmates acting weird around me. Which I didn't mind at first. When they came up to me with questions like "where are you from?" I would kindly explain that I'm half Indonesian, half Dutch. They'd just nod and that was it.
Though there were other people who asked more assuming questions like "are you Chinese or Japanese?" which got me by surprise, because believe me... I do not look Chinese... by far. Deciding to troll some of these people (since I thought there were joking with me) I would respond I'm Korean... after which I'd have to show them where Korea is located on the map... after which this person thought I was from the North....... (yea this one person in my class is really special).
During the second year of the study some classmates would still come to me with the question of what my background is. Asking "are you adopted?" and "what language do you speak?". The awkward thing is that they asked me this during second year. I have 16 classmates, so the fact that they didn't ask until second year surprised me, especially the fact that they already assumed I was adopted.

Besides this awkwardness concerning my family background, there was also an awkwardness in how they treated me. I had trouble finding a partner for the many group assignments. Some people talked louder to me than they did to others. Whenever they would go out to eat and invite me, they'd choose a Chinese restaurant and ask me of how live "there" is (which is a ridiculous question, considering I already told them I'm not Chinese and I've never been to China). Also holding onto the standard "Asian jokes" eventually got painful to listen to.
They also eventually stopped giving me information about classes I missed due to illness, so I started attending every class even with a 39 C fever, or right after my cousin died in a car accident. My classmates never help me with anything, even when I ask them to they always seem to forget about it. And I barely ever ask for any sort of help. When we work together on group assignments it's mostly me making everything while they study for their exams. Meaning I usually have to resit my exams, because I was too busy making those group reports.

The next problem is the teachers:

Dear God... If it were just my classmates being this weird to me, then that would be O.K. But the teachers are even worse. Especially this one teacher who purposely lowers my grades. And the worst part is that I can't complain about it, because this teacher is in every possible school-board! She just really hates me to the core. I only have my intuition and a point of view from another classmate (one who did accept me), but he already quit the study. The other teachers don't seem very keen on going against the hateful teacher, so I'm stuck in a very difficult situation where I have my classmates against me and the people in higher powers.

Right now I'm an intern. And my supervisor.... no way... she does the same. But she's meaner. She made me work 20 extra hours, because she said she needed more reference material to give me a grade for my internship. I'm studying to become a teacher, and 30 minutes before I have to teach a class, she reminds me of what is at stake. If I don't pass my internship I will have to redo it next year, also paying for the college fee. It's so scary and it adds to the stress like crazy.
This woman also talks to me extra loud, repeats everything she said at least 4 times (which she doesn't do to people who are "white") and she keeps on bringing up how much I fail at teaching. Which is ridiculous, because at my past two internships I passed with extremely high grades, so I KNOW I'm not a bad teacher. Yet she keeps on emphasizing this and telling me that she won't let me pass this year.

I've been going through this for two and a half years. Two and a half years I have been beating myself up about it, thinking it must be my fault somehow, but I'm at a loss. I tried to change myself in every way possible, but nothing seems to make them accept me. I don't mind if they hate me personally, but I don't want it to stand in my way of getting my teachers' degree. So getting along would be a good thing. I've been secretly fighting signs of boulimia and anorexia, I've been looking up information on sleeping pills, I've thought of just quitting this study and go somewhere else, but that won't do because of my financial status. So I'm stuck here. And I have to finish this study. And I want to be a teacher, I love the job.

I'm just in a pickle and I need help on how to deal with this.... If you have anything to say about this story I'll be glad and thankful...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hey fellow part Dutchie! Sorry to hear you've to deal with that crap.
Is the place where you're studying part of a chain of schools? If it is and it has other locations under the same name, maybe you could transfer? I've even seen people switch to completely different school chains and not have to start over. The new place would usually do all the arranging for them too since they're happy to get the new student (and their money). Can't hurt to look around, make some calls and ask. :)

There's also the option of going to the school board or even higher up to try and expose them, like others have mentioned but yeah, I can totally understand that that's not a can of worms everyone would care to open up and deal with. The experience would likely be much worse if they end up doing nothing and you're stuck with the same people after that.
:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*had to
:icondeyja-morte:
deyja-morte Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
wow, i seriously don't get it. i'm a country bumpkin but we don't even have that here.
and you were allways nice to me while i was still studying with you. hell you introduced me to gintama xD

i can't really give you any usefull advice that hasn't been given allready so, i just wish you the best of luck and hope things will be better for you soon.
:iconidnidveifencetum:
IdNiDveifencetum Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Don't let anything bring you down. Never give up.
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Come to Canada. Anybody who is not white has more rights than those who are.
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Writer
You sound like my friend Scott. [link]
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Oh do I now? I was simply suggesting I can relate to being discriminated against in ones own country. It is for different reasons, but still...
:iconnaruto-ii:
Naruto-II Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Bij mij op de studie zijn er een aantal commissies die de rechten van studenten waarborgen. Als je een probleem hebt met een docent, dan zou ik bijvoorbeeld naar de onderwijscommissie kunnen stappen. Als het probleem ligt bij een docent die IN zo'n commissie zit zou ik eerst één van de andere leden individueel benaderen. Bij voorkeur de voorzitter van het studentendeel van de commissie. Ook voor problemen kun je bij die commissie terecht. Daarnaast zou je contact op kunnen nemen met een studieadviseur.

Ik kan niet zeggen dat ik ooit zelf zoiets als dit heb meegemaakt, maar ik leef met je mee. Je opleiding moet je af maken! Geef niet op!

Tot slot kunnen ze je misschien hier helpen: [link]
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Biometrical discrimination is rather unenlightened. It means that the thugs of a race are worth more than the royal bloodline of another. That is just absurd. I could explain it in depth, but that wouldn't do any good for your situation. All I can give is my sincere compassion. :cling:
:iconsalita18:
Salita18 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Add a Comment: