Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

I need to learn to focus

:iconsoluble-hermit:
soluble-hermit Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I am finding that what is really keeping me from making something of my creativity and the various skills I've picked up is that I can't focus on a plan long enough to put it into action. I'll think, "Oh, I could sell custom greeting cards," and I have the card making kit and some experience doing just that, but it hasn't gotten past being an idea. I could paint portraits of pets or people, but I haven't even tried to advertise this beyond deviantart forums, which got no responses. I can make plushies, I can knit, I can do all these things, but I mainly just treat them like daily activities to pass the time and I don't make use of them. I want to.

Why can I work for hours on a single project over the course of the day, but can hardly bother to focus on a plan for making money for longer than the time it takes to fall asleep? Are there any things I can do to make myself focus? Mental self-training? Has anybody else faced this, conquered it, and returned victorious with their wondrous advice?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
The answer to your question seems contradictory, and it is, because what you are dealing with is an issue of willpower, it is not an issue of logic.

The way to conquer this problem is to do things you don't want to do. It's called self-discipline: until you have structured your life in a way that is contrary to your mind, your mind will be unable to create things in a larger scale.

so my suggestion would be this: Every day get up in the morning and do some ritual that you don't want to do. What's something you dislike? Maybe it's excersize. maybe it's sending letters to family members. maybe it's having a healthy, all raw veggie breakfast that tastes rather unappealing.

Then, at least 3 hours after you wake up (but up to 15 hours after) give yourself an hour of creativity. Important part: ONLY use ONE HOUR. No matter how interested you are in what you are doing. No matter how stuck in it you are. No matter. Just no. Work for only one hour, then stop.

The reason this will work is, when you get done with your hour, you will be full of desire to continue your project. you will be thinking about your project, you will get new ideas, and when you get back to it the next day you will be happy to be back at it again. It's the same strategy writers use when they switch perspectives in the middle of a climax; they are doing this to draw the reader along.

Creativity is a strange beast. It is healthiest when you treat it abusively. And the more you feed it and pamper it, the more it gets sick and weak.

So the trick, I've found, is to keep a balance between abusing your creative nerves and feeding them.
:iconneutrastaff:
NeutraStaff Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Because when it comes to a single project you are doing something more personal but when you can't focus on making money it's because it's something that you required to do. When you have to do something it's harder to concentrate on it but when you do something personal it's easier to work with it.

Best thing to do is to 'ALWAYS' stay focused on the things that are most important in life, not always the things that you want to do. We have to put other things ahead of us then go back when we're done. Give your full attention to what your suppose to do pretty much.
:iconsoluble-hermit:
soluble-hermit Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It does tend to be easier to motivate myself with the passion for the craft rather than guilt for relying on my husband's paycheck.

Anyway, thanks.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Set out a goal, and make it a small, achievable goal, so it could be even to make 3 cards or something, and when you've done that, aim for another small goal. I find it easier if the goals are smaller, because the task doesn't feel nearly so daunting. :)
:icondarennysmith:
Darennysmith Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
i wrote that, but i dunno why my comment disappeared O.o
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have no idea. :shrug:
:icondarennysmith:
Darennysmith Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
well my idea was to give her an useful tip that helped me a lot.
Thank you Meizzy ;)
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, no worries ;)
:icondeltari2:
deltari2 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well do some time management things thats your problem,focus on ONE activity first after another,well for time at least create a time schedule for breaks or when to do these things,like form Sun-Tues its knitting then Wed-Sat its card-making.But for the money,try to be resourceful.
:icondeltari2:
deltari2 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well do some time management things thats your problem,focus on ONE activity first after another,well for time at least create a time schedule for breaks or when to do these things,like form Sun-Tues its knitting then Wed-Sat its card-making.But for the money,try to be resourceful.
Add a Comment: