Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Desexed cats

:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I've had dogs and cats before, and nursed them through being desexed. I know the basic care, and I know they shouldn't get very wet, check their stitches eshouldn't do strenuous exercise etc etc etc.

However, I'm wondering what exactly counts as 'strenuous'? She was desexed a little while ago and her stitches are being taken out this Monday (It's currently Friday here)

I've tried reading up about it, but no where is particularly detailed about what counts as 'strenuous' or not.

We have a lot of low furniture (less than knee height) and chairs (just about knee height)

Is the cat jumping up on that considered 'strenuous'?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcrazylittleloon:
Crazylittleloon Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Writer
I should know more about this, I've been around cats my whole life...of course, I've only ever had two female cats, the rest were all male, and with male cats it's just -snipsnipsnip- YOU'RE DONE, NEXT.

I do know with female cats, be gentle with their stitches, cuddle them extremely carefully, make sure they don't sleep in their litter box, and keep them inside.

Also, be careful with catnip. My gigantic tuxedo cat is currently higher than the Hubble telescope and that can really cause problems with stitches (and lamps, don't destroy my lamp kitty...)
:iconlowko:
lowko Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
thread title would make a good daft punk or deadmouse song.
:icongravitatingconundrum:
GravitatingConundrum Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Just echoing a few others here, seeing that some of their responses are spot on and wanted to throw in my few cents. c:

I work as a vet tech, and whenever we return the dog or cat back to the owner after a surgery like this, we usually recommend that they don't go outside (if they happen to be an outside/indoor animal) and keep exercise to a minimum, like running around, playing with others (animals or children), things like that. Also recommend keeping an eye on them so they don't pick at their sutures, because that is another expensive surgery in itself. @_@

As for jumping, that can vary, I wouldn't recommend letting her jump often. Even small jumps can tweak her stitches, but since she is getting them out this Monday, most of her incision should be healed by this time if its been roughly 10+ days since her surgery. We do our suture removals between 10-14 days after their surgery, so I'm going off of that. They heal up pretty well in such a small time frame.

Other than that, that's about it really. :) As long as she is doing well behavior wise, like no sudden drastic changes or sudden lethargy, and she's healing appropriately, she should be fine. I've read some of your other responses and you are on the right course of action in dealing with this, and I hope her suture removal goes well!
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
if its strenuous the stitches will bite, and the cat wont do it anymore. i think you should just keep them away from an opposite gender and fights, dog chases and other stuff that the cat priorizes more than physical pain, which is being scared for life.
:iconamanda-graham:
Amanda-Graham Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Writer
i think jumping up on the chair is alright ... but moving the chair or lifting bags of groceries is out for the cat for a while.
:iconkrazehkittehkat:
KrazehKittehKat Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I define it as 'don't pick up the feline and swing it around like you're some sort of demented child'.
Through my experience with cats, they jumped all over the place the day after their procedure and nothing really messed up their stitches. I think they themselves have a pretty good sense of what's a good idea and what's a bad idea.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
in other words, don't use your laser pointer and play catch the little spot on the wall all over the house. When you say desexed do you mean neutered? I've had both male and female cats fixed and never got any directions against strenuous exercise, probably because they weren't feeling much like exercising after losing their balls.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes, I mean neuter. Desexing just happens to be the term that is usually used here.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yes, jumping, and really anything that exerts her abdominals counts as strenuous. Even if it's just a small distance, you don't want to risk it. I had mine on cage rest when I couldn't keep an eye on them, just to be safe.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'd feel so evil for doing that. I feel bad enough for locking her up in her safe room and keeping her Elizabethan collar on.

God, now I know how protective parents feel!
Add a Comment: