Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 119

My girlfriend, me, her family and God

:iconbetweenskill:
BetweenSkill Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
I am a devout agnostic-atheist, though one cannot be really "devout" if it isn't a belief ;), and have been since I was 11.

My girlfriend comes from an Italian-Catholic family, and honestly her parents, well her dad, can be downright scary sometimes. Her life over the past couple years have been hell, with two suicides of people she knew, a close friend who died in a heart attack, and two family members who have died slowly.

No one deserves to go through that, especially as a teen, especially as my girlfriend <3

She once told me that I could absolutely without a doubt prove to her to lack of existence of a god, or one worth being worshipped, but she needs to have God because He is there for her and is with the people in her life who have died.

This puts me in a tough position because I am only really anti-theistic towards conservative-type Christianity like Catholicism. I could deal with it, because honestly I cannot express in words our relationship, our love for one another.

But I am very concerned about what her family will do if they find out "who" I am. It could ruin our relationship. Well not ruin, but really put an anchor in it. She also consistently refers to God or talks about someones in heaven, blessings etc. even though she knows I hate it. (It's also a bit harder for me to let things slide, ADD and minor OCD don't go well together)

I really don't know what to do. I don't even know if I should do anything. Advice?

(And please don't turn this into a religious debate, that's for some of my other threads ;)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadowflashdabearded:
I am a firm believer in Christ, but also believer to be open to others, have a boarder view than religious acts, and trying to live a true life. Not wanting a religious debate too, just understanding, but will stand firm still. So also: "Any suggestions"
:iconmythicsonofgod:
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
a christian always puts God above all.
:iconivorysinkshore:
ivorysinkshore Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
You are right. That's what my family does, or tries to.
:iconmoofactory:
moofactory Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
And you know what.. that's the problem with fundies.
Screw unconditionally loving your children. God comes first.

Sorry but no... A Person always puts their FAMILY above all.. Including god.
Otherwise whats the point of even getting married and having children.
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sorry but no.

If that works for you that's cool bit we christians put God first above all. God comands us to love our families however.
:iconbetweenskill:
BetweenSkill Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
So then who comes out on top? No one?

And God says if your wife sins, or your daughter etc. you shall be the first to cast a stone or lay hands on them to put them to death. Love thy family my ass.
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am sorry but I think there was a misunderstanding.

I am just explaining the christian point of view and in this case as it is explained in mathew 22:37 [link]

For a christian God comes on top

I am sorry but I have no time to debate. As I said I came to explain an help the op to understand nothing more.
:iconmoofactory:
moofactory Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
No your not... your explaining YOUR point of view.
You cant speak for all Christians, because I already know some that would disagree with you.

If your kid is gay you disown them because the bible says its wrong?
If that's the case your a bigoted brainwashed idiot, you may as well be a Muslim extremist.
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
uh?
the bible doesn't speak about "disowning children because they do X thing.". Concerning testaments, everyone is free to do what they want with their money and earthly possessions.

I am explaining what the bible says here not my point of view.:

Matthew 22:37-28
New International Version (NIV)
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

I don't know how explaining that a christian loves God makes me a "muslim extremist".
:iconaillin1:
aillin1 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013   Writer
In my opinion, one is not a religious extremist until they are hindering the rights of others or seducing the will of others with their religion.

I do not see you doing that, so please just disregard those malificent terms being thrown at you.
Add a Comment: