Future -.-"

Hi there :P,
well,i want ask your advice xD I do not drawing since childhood as many of you should draw, and I just started drawing only 2 years, and since then has become my passion, I love everything that is art, xD, and I was seriously thinking of becoming a concept artist, the problem is that my parents (mor my mom) wants me to do medicine, and she do not want me to do design, her words were more or less "if it is not medicine, forget that I am your mother" <- <, during that time I did not worry too much about it because I was still in school, now that I finished school, and heading for college I do not know what to do D: , HELP!? D:
Comments25
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
When being criticized, the words that hurt the most are from family members and close friends. We expect them to be more encouraging and assist us. The thing is, the people who love us have been around us for so long that they can only see what we can do in the natural light, unaware that we have so much more on the inside. Best thing to say to them is "I know you love me and want to say advice to assist me in life, but please understand I have to follow what's in my heart. The dream is in me, not you and I have to do what I feel is right".
indeed, you have a point there, T_T XD,i'm talking with her this days :P, XD well, i'll just be patiente :P
you should talk to your mother, show her your art. You're pretty good! THo it's a hard world and not easy to find a job.. Maybe you can do a bigger thing, not ONLY illustration. I do animation, editing, and visuel stuff for school. So I can do a lot, but I'm not a ''pro'' in everthing, I just know a bit more then the basics ;) You can also try to draw MORE things, so your package will be a lot bigger! and you have more to show ;)
:), thank you, and yeah i know, i'll try to do the cgma online academy this year :), and learn more
awesome!! keep it up then and goodluck!
If you have any passion in medicine at all, I'd say pursue both. Art is my passion, but veterinary medicine is what I want to DO and make a living with. I plan on getting a double-bachelors ( also called a "joint-bachelors" ) of fine art AND science, and then begin apply to art-related jobs to pay my way through medical school, that way I have a healthy balance of both. If you have NO passion in medicine, forget about it! One day your mother will be dead and you'll be asking yourself, "Well... now what do I do?"

Tell your mother sternly that you love her and respect her opinions, but she won't be there to dictate your life forever. You NEED to do what makes you HAPPY. She may "disown" you, but more often than not, given time, the gaps WILL be bridged. Just have patience, and don't give up on HER. If she doesn't want to hear from you, still send her birthday presents, perhaps via mail. That will let her know that you're still thinking of her, and you still love her regardless of what she's said or done to you, and it will FORCE her to accept you as you are. It may take years or even decades, but I would be willing to bet that she will eventually come around.

Besides, with only the briefest of glances I took at your gallery, I can tell you have a real skill at landscape design and your painting is beautiful. You will be highly sought after in the art world once you become well-known.
:'), thanks a lot for the kindness and advice, I have nothing against medicine,moreover,it's a greant profession, and i respect people who do medicine, but I can not see my life as a doctor =/
Then I think everyone would be better off if you weren't a doctor. There is nothing more deadly than a doctor who hates his / her career.

If you continue to follow your passion with painting, I feel that you will find a great deal of satisfaction in it. Follow your dreams, MAKE them come true. You have enough talent to go incredibly far.
Thanks a lot DemonLog :D :hug:
However, your art is actually very beautiful and I think if you really wanted to, you could be a great environmental concept artist. But like I said, you'd be working for clients and will not always draw what you want to draw.
Be very careful. Design is different from concept art, which is illustration.

If you really are considering a career in art, you need to acknowledge that you will NOT be drawing for yourself--you will be drawing for clients. Do you like people telling you what to do? What to change? What they don't like? What you need to add? Because that will be the life of a professional illustrator/designer. If you don't think you would be able to handle it, pursue medicine and keep art as a hobby.
I know very well what it is =), and is what i want to do , i did some freelance for a game, (can't tell the name of the project) and it was a totally different thing that i'm used to work, it was like, futuristic cityscapes, and my gallery i have more like fantasy style, so i know how it works, and i'm cool with dealing with clients :D
I know how you feel, I've come back to art after a few years break. The only problem, I took this break over my subject choosing for college. Now im in my final year in university doing a Cell Biology degree! It doesn't hurt to have two career options though, so I don't regret my choice. However, if you are just picking now. Perhaps do a mixture, some science units and art? That way you can get a better idea as to what you want to do.

Good luck! Always remember though its your decision at the end of the day, it's your life :)
it's kinda hard to do both, and, i don't kinda want to spend time with science, because to enter the design industry, you have to be good and to be good, needs time and dedication, I would eventually fail into one of two =/

and thanks you :D , i will need good luck XD
True but a young age, sometimes it's not good to close doors! :)
If I were you, I would talk with your mother telling her what you really feel towards art and your future. As I see, you can become a great concept artist, so show her what art means for you. This is your life and you live it, not your mother ;)
i tried, she does not listen :P
Then try to threaten her saying you will move from home if she doesn't let you do what the hell you want! Let's see what she would answer to that... but if she says "Ok, go", you need to set your things and search somewhere to stay, man :D
hahahaha indeed :D , what i said just remember me the post that daarken made at his blog XD : [link]
Ahah, nice! I will surely read it later =)