Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 31

How do I talk to my dad about this?

:iconkinoc-kun:
Kinoc-Kun Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
So here's the thing, I really want to go into the Air Force after I finish college. From what my dad has told me, people with college degrees have a wider range of jobs they can get into in the service.

I'm absolutely 100% sure that this is what I want to do with my life, that or the National Guard, and I want to make my dad proud of me and better myself physically and mentally.

The problem is that my dad has always been against me going into the military because I've never been very "tough." (I have a an abnormally low pain tolerance despite how strong I am.) He doesn't think I could handle it, but this is something I really want to do.

How can I talk to my dad about this without him getting upset or trying to talk me out of it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondetective-inspector:
Detective-Inspector Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If going into the military is your desire then do it. It's your life to make. My family when I was young were against my decision of going into law enforcement because it was a dangerous job, but I did it anyway because it was my passion and I wanted to serve. Get a reason to join and do your best is all I can say, but I will be proud to have another dedicated being in our air force.

Also ignore the bozzo under me because he/she doesn't know what he is talking about.
Kinoc-Kun Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I really want to be like my dad and go into the air force. He flew planes, ran security for bases, worked on weapons and vehicles, the dude was a boss. I just hope I can do half the things he did.
:icondetective-inspector:
Detective-Inspector Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's good to model yourself after your father, but also make it your own too. History doesn't like repeats! I hope that if you do decide to go in that you do so, bravely, and proud.
:iconvulpimo:
Think it over. Military brains aren't actually the smartest fishes in the pond, and you will have to work with people who couldn't finish any good school
Ha...haha... You really don't know how much physical and mental training goes into the military, do you? Lets see you work on nuclear technology or space programs. How bout flying a plane or working out strategy in the field.

That sounds like a pretty smart fish to me.
:iconvulpimo:
Actually, physical training does apply to military.

As for the mental side- 90% of the training is about killing the thoughts and dragging instincts in the place. Every repetitive action is about that. To stop thinking about it and do it mechanically. Because in the combat situation, most of the people freak out when they have to think about anything. So instead, the military relies on instincts, which are quick and reliable. They can be taught, and that's the difference. You can't make a dumb person into a great strategist, but you can stuff him with some reactions which you consider right in a certain situation.

As for flying a plane or working out strategy- flying a plane applies here too. Hours in simulators and hours of training the same things. Remember- As you perform something over and over and over, you stop thinking about it and do it mechanically.

Working out a strategy- people in the field just follow taught patterns, it's HQ that comes up with everything related to logistics.

And military people are one of the lowest IQ bearers among people, sad but true.
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
You could always do something to show him he's wrong. If he thinks you're a wuss, maybe hit the gym and bulk up a bit, show him you're serious.

Then bring it up.
I've been working out non-stop the past 2 weeks. I wanna be ripped when I go. Lol
:iconnocturn0wl:
Nocturn0wl Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you thought about doing Air Force ROTC? It would allow you to get a college education and start a career in the military at the same time. It would help you pay for college to boot, if money's a concern (and even if it isn't. Scholarships are fantastic, regardless!). Plus, if I'm remembering my facts correctly, your first two years in an ROTC program are sort of like a trial run, where you're not really beholden to anything or anyone if you decide that the military life isn't right for you after all (though if you drop out, I think you do have to pay them back whatever tuition they've paid for you so far).

Don't take my word for it though, because what little I can say about the program off the top of my head may not be entirely accurate. But still, it might be something that could serve as a happy medium between you and your dad, since you want to join the military but he's not so sure you'll do well.
Add a Comment: