Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

My friend's brother tested positive for HIV.

:iconadrianfarenheittepes:
AdrianFarenheitTepes Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
And my friend is the only one who doesn't know. I'm in a moral dilemma of whether or not I should tell him. I've known him and his parents for nearly 10 years now and they've been nothing but good people, as me and my dad celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas with them every year. My friend's brother has been in the hospital for about a month or two and not recovering. Due to his partying lifestyle, as well as being homosexual (something I'm perfectly okay with, as my other friend is gay as well), and given his symptoms, I suspected AIDS...but I was really hoping it wasn't.

I don't know if I should tell him or not. It's usually the parents who bring the news, but I feel rather bad knowing and him not knowing, and I don't know how long it will be till he knows, and I feel he has the right to know. What should I do? :shrug:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't envy the situation you are in. If it was your friend's brother asking for advice, I would be telling him that he should tell his family. However, it is not him asking.

It is his decision whether or not to disclose his HIV status to his family, not yours. Let him tell his brother on his own terms.
:iconadrianfarenheittepes:
He's comatose.
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
If you don't mind me asking... why is it the brother does not (or did not at the time of the post at least) know that the test was positive? Are you saying he don't know he did the test in the first place? How on earth did they make a blood/saliva/urine test that he wasn't aware about? Did they lie and say that the test came back negative? O.o
:iconingodzhandz:
InGodzHandz Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Photographer
You need to tell his brother the truth. He needs to know what's going on and be ready if he dies.
:iconoverboard-insanity:
overboard-insanity Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
It's a hard question but i agree with Hurricaneclaw. talk to his parents. Descide with deep conversation who should tell him; his family and/or you. You're right in thinking he shouldnt be in the dark on this but, with that said, find out if you should tell him or his family. Some people may feel it a touchy subject for even their BEST of friends to know...
:iconcrystalwaterfall:
crystalwaterfall Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist
I think is not your duty. Even of you are a good friend, this kind of things are a family thread.
I suggest you to talk with your friend's brother and his parents about the moral struggle you feel, you'll find a solution.
Be strong, i wish the best for your friend's brother.
:iconrockstarvanity:
RockstarVanity Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I don't believe it's your place to tell him. If your family is close with his family, then perhaps you could talk to his parents about it, or ask your dad to talk to them. It really seems like it's up to them to let him know. You can be there to support him when he finds out.
:iconsaykha:
saykha Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Writer
It is best that you let his parents tell him. You can tell him, but then he might get mad at his parents for not telling him, and right now they need peace among themselves so as to give his brother all the support and love that he needs. What you can do, is talk to his parents about telling him as soon as possible - it isn't right that he doesn't know yet. Other than that, you can only pray for them, and support your friend as much as you can.
:iconlealahlupiniii:
LealahLupinIII Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Your dad is right. It's his brother's/family's place to tell him, not yours. Telling him now would be a good way of getting a lot of people very upset at you.
:icongoodbyemoon:
goodbyemoon Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
God, they need to do another AIDs/HIV campaign. I would keep quiet about it, I think it is unfair that you have been put in this position by the person who told you.

Your friend will find out soon and when he does, just be there for him.
Add a Comment: