Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

To much money for a sword?

:iconkingdragon01:
kingdragon01 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I have started collecting swords, so far I only have kinda cheep ones.
There is one I want to get that has been discontinued and will not be for sale for much longer. It's being sold for $557 I have my own money and can offored it, but my dad says its way too much even considering it has gold built into it.
There is only one left on amazon so I need opinions soon.

ps: sorry if this is the wrong forum.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Writer
if you can't afford it don't, if you can do. ebay is a horrible place to buy these things anyways, the price is jacked up so high it's frightening. find a store which sells swords. chances are it could be a replica, it could be damaged or even fake. just because it has gold doesn't mean that it is gold. at that price, I doubt it's real gold or fully gold. but it's your money to blow as you wish can't stop you either way :)
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
There is rarely something that you NEED to get right now. As it is either a reproduction, or a costume piece, I would personally hold off. Reproductions/costume pieces do not hold thier value, even if they have real gold or something like that on them. Save up another $500 and start to hit gun/knife shows and ebay (although you need to be more careful of scams there) for actual antiques, they hold their value. If you are going to collect, get serious about it.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student General Artist
Is there any special reason or? you like swords, some kind of serial which includes swords and you cosplay at home? :P my brother used to like collecting swords, but we only played with plastic swords xD (when we were young) I think that it's cool to have something ancient or similar in your room, if it just was this one sword I'd say go for it if you truly deeply wanted it. But you mention that you already have other swords, and that makes me wonder how much longer you will continue to collect swords? when is it going to stop? I'm a gamer too and I have collected so much shit from games, figures, pillows, keychains, and once per year I cosplay a character too.. which is very funny, I totally enjoy myself. But I've realized that to buy everything that has the logo of the game on it etc, is a waste of money really. I have other important things to buy, to spend my money on. Because in the end all these swords you buy, they will only gather dust, you will put them in a box or something, open the box and stare at them.
kingdragon01 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Well actually I set a limit on how many swords I can have, and if I want a new one I would sell off an old one which I've already done. And I'm not going to get rid of really good one so my collection would be finished.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
After looking this up:

It seems like it's an OK sword, you're only getting about $200 of the msrp though.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Link, please?

We can't tell you whether it's a good deal or not unless we know what it is.

Just because something is discounted doesn't mean it's great.

Containing gold means NOTHING in practical terms. In almost all cases, anything you get that isn't actually fully gold has so little in it that it's more work to get the gold out than it's worth in money. Like those 'gold' coins you see for $20 on TV. There is such a tiny, tiny little coating of gold on there that it's practically worthless- which is why it's so cheap.

Aaaaand is this purely decoration, or are you potentially going to do something with it? If it's just something pretty, then there really isn't any reason to pay a lot of money for it. It doesn't matter. If you're going to be swinging it around then yeah, you need a GOOD one that is built in one piece and isn't going to come flying apart and injure somebody.
kingdragon01 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Well it's called the saber of charlemagne and it is made by hanwei sword forge.
It is a replica of a sword that emperer Charlemagne had.
It is the most beautiful sword I've ever seen or herd of.
I'm sorry about my spelling, it's just that I was being rushed out of the house then.
I'm thinking I'll go for it, It would be the crown jewel of my collection not just of my swords.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
If it were a Cival War sword I would say that is cheap.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
......well I'd say it's a bit of a hefty price for a sword....does it have any style significance? Like it was made to accurately imitate a type of sword preferred by a certain era or famous person (though the presence of gold leads me to believe otherwise)?
:icondarkanddefiant:
darkanddefiant Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
:iconfirstworldproblemplz:
Add a Comment: