Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Four months to go

:iconskygal333:
skygal333 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I turn 18 at the end of April. This is my last year as a kid. And as much as I'd hate to join the nightmare world of adults (no offence), I know I've got to make these last months count. I'm thinkin thats my new years resolution.

I did have a few adventures. Not bad. But I need to make this final time memorable. I have an anime convention coming up soon. That'll be exciting.

But what else can I do? I'm not the kind of girl who goes to parties, hook up with guys and drink myself stupid. Heck I'm a geek whose never been to a big-shot party, never had a boyfriend/crush and the scent of alcohol makes me sick.

Suggestions on how to make my last months of childhood count? Stuff to do? Any stories of your final year before 18?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
This is so weird. Everyone makes a POINT of doing stupid shit WHEN they become an adult, i.e. get shitfaced immediately, and you're trying to get that out of the way already!

Nothing is special about 18. Hell, you can't even drink or buy lottery tickets in some places at 18 yet. You're still a kid, and you'll still be a kid at 18.
:iconfooly-cooly:
FOOLY-COOLY Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student
18 is just sort of like "whelp, I'm an adult now? Well I don't feel any different." 18 doesn't put an end to childhood fun, it, if anything, opens you up to the possibility of more freedom and going and doing as you please.

After I turned 18 I went and traveled for several months (took a year off of school) in Latin America. Would have been hard if I were still 17!
:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
You are aware that nothing is going to change when you turn eighteen, right? Depending on where you live, you'll have a few more things you can legally do, but there isn't things you must do before you turn eighteen. You probably won't even notice that you are "grown up" until you're in your twenties anyway, so why worry?

And what is all that with making childhood count? Really, you're a teen, haven't you already left what would be called childhood, and what difference will it make whatever you do these next four month?

Do crazy shit, but don't do it because you're becoming an adult, do it because you like it and because it's fun.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, 'cause once you are 18, you can never go to con's again, or dress up in costumes, or watch anime. Geeze, I am more than twice your age, and have done all of those things well past 18. I would stop freaking, the day after your 18th birthday, you are the same person that you were the day prior to your 18th birthday.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
simply be yourself, maybe they say that when you are 18 you must have a bf/gf and have drinked and had sex or whatever, but it's only crap, everybody has a story that differs, that is unique. I was totally the opposite at your age, I wanted so desperately to become adult, I wanted to have responsibility, take care of myself, show that I can make it on my own. 17 was probably the worst year for me, the last months before I turned 18, I hated the fact that my parents were controlling me all the time. When I became 18 I felt much more freedom, had my own money, made my own decisions, didn't need my parent's approval. I know many think that nothing changes when you become 18, but for me everything changed, maybe it depends on the circumstances. As others already stated, becoming 18 doesn't necessarily mean you are adult, it will certainly take more time than that. Turning 18 means you can decide on your own, but I know people that are 26 years old or even older, and still are so damn immature, behave like kids. And even as an adult, sometimes you will want to go back to childish things, nothing wrong with that.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Go buy cigarettes? Have sex? I dunno, I mean, it's not like you're actually an adult. You're still a kid.

Yeah. Adults are still gonna look at you as a kid.

Until you're about 25.

So...don't worry about it.

And don't go doing something stupid because you're 'still a kid'. You don't wake up with no consequences.

You'll have way more opportunity to be stupid. That's what college is for.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Photographer
lol, you may have to get a grown up job but you certainly do not have to become a depressing adult. your 18th birthday is not the end of having fun! :)
:iconmonkeydoodles:
monkeydoodles Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Pick something that's meaningful to you. Visit a place that you've always wanted to go to but have never been before, check out a new museum, go rock-climbing, skydiving, write a book, etc.
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Writer
I'm Nth-ing what everybody else has said; believe me, you're not suddenly a real adult at eighteen. I have met eighteen year olds who are mature, responsible, lazy, selfish, spoilt, childish, whiny, entitled, attention-seeking, kind, generous - you name it. They aren't anymore like adults on their eighteenth birthday than they were the day before.

Still, if you want to make the time count, what would you like to do? There's no point me telling you to go out, get wasted, get laid, get a tattoo, move city, question your sexuality and all that if you don't want to. So think of some things you'd like to try and make them happen, nevermind what anyone else says.
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Personally I considered my childhood over at 13, so turning 18 wasn't exactly a huge transition. And you don't have to do those things you mentioned, like going to parties and getting drunk, simply because you're of legal age.
Add a Comment: