December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 55

Getting Really Discouraged.

:iconepsilonxiii:
EpsilonXIII Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Hi guys,
ever since I've gotten my graphics tablet, I've been feeling really discouraged, because of how awesome the community artwork is. I want to be a really successful artist when I grow up, and seeing all these great artists are really discouraging me. It's not just dA, It's also extremely famous people I look up to too, like Hayao Miyazaki, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Hironobu Sakaguchi, that make me wonder: "How in the hell did they get to where they are today!?". Now after seeing what this tablet is capable of I have artistic BSOD (i.e I can't think of anything to draw, and when I can, I just can't draw it.).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, I'm plateauing after realizing how hard it is to achieve my dream.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not all depressed about it, but it's really bothering me.

Hope someone can reply,

Emmanuel Ngene

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshadowstone13:
ShadowStone13 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Great artists develop with time and passion.
However, you also need to grow comfortable with your new art medium. You can't really begin to devote yourself to whatever art you are working on until you are familiar with the medium.

To take a non visual arts example, a musician cannot truly master and enjoy creating and playing music if they are still uncomfortable with basics like finger positions and such.

I know from the experiences of others and myself that digital art is difficult to transition into, if you've only done more traditional art before. Not only do you need to get used to the tablet you are using, but you also need to grow familiar with whatever program you are drawing in. SAI, photoshop, GIMP... It takes time to grow accustomed to the details in each program.
---
Don't get frustrated with yourself. Keep on practicing and improving yourself. And if you need anything, deviantart is a fantastic place to get advice, critiques, etc. Most artists here would be glad to help those who ask for it.

Good luck, and keep drawing!
EpsilonXIII Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Thank you so much for you advice
:thanks::thanks::thanks:
:iconshadowstone13:
ShadowStone13 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
:) np
I'm sure almost everyone gets those moments. I certainly do.

I hope you'll keep drawing and improving yourself, keeping an open ear and mind.
:iconrene-l:
Rene-L Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
Inspiration comes to mind, you mentioned that you look up other artists and wonder how they reached where they are, the answer is: just like you. Everyone starts somewhere.
:iconamberissa:
Amberissa Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Don't get discouraged, be inspired if you look up to their work. Remember, today's great artists, they all started out like you. They worked extremely hard to get to where they are now. It all depends on how much you want it. I personally know one secret of them.

Do the thing you love to do the most! And own it.

Blow people away with each artwork you make. Give them the feeling that someday you'll be as great as the artists you look up to. Be strong in what you believe, then you'll get far : )
EpsilonXIII Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
:thanks:
:iconamberissa:
Amberissa Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Interface Designer
;)
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
When you can not think of anything to draw, work on your problem areas. If you are bad with hands, get a bunch of refrence pic's of hands and go to town. If you are bad at buildings, do some 1, 2 and 3 point perspective work. How the great artists got that way was starting simple, and building up. BTW you have a bunch of anime/manga artists there, and they usually start with realism, then move to cartoon styles. And if you believe you can, or believe you can not, you are right. So as long as you are sitting there saying "I can never be that good" you are right, and if you are working on your skills, saying "with enough practice, critique and effort I can be as good as them" you are right.
EpsilonXIII Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I see what you mean, thanks for your help!
:icontsuruginomai:
TsurugiNoMai Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
walt disney quotes: [link]

i have the same problem. i have also been reading disneys bio, and he took nothing and made what we all know and see today.

the power is in you to create. it takes time, but NEVER GIVE UP. keep at it. learn, learn everything.
Add a Comment: